It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Army running out of money!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
My Brother In Law's friend just got back from a 6 month tour in Iraq...

he told my brother something i think is incredible..

As standard each soldier is issued 1,500 -2,500 pounds (3034.80000 $ - 5058.25000 $) of equipment.

if they lose any part of the equipment, even if they say drop a bit while being fired upon. they are forced to pay for it themselves!!!!!

furthermore the average weekly wage for a private is around 250 pounds (500$)

i find it disgusting that we expect these people to kill or be killed for such a pitance.. and the fact they charge them for lost kit is a double slap in the face to the brave men and women risking their lives in the name of Oil...er cough sry the war on terror.

Any U.S.A friends know if you have a similar policy? and what is the lowest ranks basic wage?

and what do people in the U.K think of this policy? of charging our soldiers for lost kit?.. my self i think it disgusting

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I think you'll find this is a pretty common policy. When you leave the military, you have to hand back all equipment you were issued excluding your first uniform issue. If you lose kit during your service, you may be required to pay to replace it. At least that's how it works in Australia.

If I recall correctly US servicemen/women are paid even worse.

I served with some US Marines in 1999, and I am sure some of those guys told me they were earning around $14000 - but they did mention they would have subsidised education once they finished their initial term. I considered myself lucky, earning around A$48000 plus $120 per day danger money. The whole lot was tax free too.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
well this is a policy that should be reviewd imho.. 20 guys fire on you and your unit .. maybe u have to dump a couple of things to pull back quickly... so they charge you for trying to save yourselves? sick

of course should give kit back when you finish but whilst serving .. maybe i am niave but i don't like this one bit.

[edit on 6/9/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
If you can vote, write a letter to your local MP - that would be the most effective way of getting your opinion to the government. Put it on the record and follow up asking them what they did about it once you've sent it.

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Snappahead]

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Snappahead]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   
thats bad. why would u wanna pay for something u had to do to get out alive ? in ww2 paratroopers always lose their kits when the chute's shock open and everythings falls.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I blame the current PM actually for all thatis happening in the UK armed forces. I am absolutely disgusted the way out troops/service personell are being treated with contempt by this Government. But it is not only troops in Iraq who are being undervalued it is also Troops in Afghanistan, who are feeling undervalued at the moment.

British troops battling Taliban militants in southern Afghanistan feel unappreciated and undervalued by many people back home, despite the numerous risks they are taking and the worst fighting since the Second World War.

Article

The public need to kick the Gov up the backside, it is about high time, us in the UK recognise the sacrifice the troops are putting on the line.

Oks give the equipment back when you leave the Armed Services, but to be expected to pay for lost equipment. Is a disgrace. I for one is writting to my MP to demand that he does something about it.

All armed service personell fighting in both Iraq and Afghanistan, deserve pay rises, and recognition for what they are doing.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Perhaps its time to increase funding for the UK military?

As for the US Army, the pay is so low that in my community the garbage truck drivers make more money per year then a Private E2.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
of course should give kit back when you finish but whilst serving .. maybe i am niave but i don't like this one bit.
[edit on 6/9/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

I don't think you are naive in the least. What you have written is absolutely true. Were I in a fire fight for my life and had to run naked firing at the enemy leaving most everything behind ... at the end of the day I should receive honours from the Queen ... not have to pay for what was lost on the field of battle.

(Of course, were I to run naked the other side might simply shoot themselves to avoid the horror.)

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pellevoisin

(Of course, were I to run naked the other side might simply shoot themselves to avoid the horror.)

lmao, maybe you have hit upon a new unique military strategy i wouldn't suggest trying it tho think of the sunburn

new topics

top topics

join