It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge strikes down part of Patriot Act (Internet Records)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Judge strikes down part of Revised Patriot Act: Government must get court approval for Internet records

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK - A federal judge struck down parts of the revised USA Patriot Act on Thursday, saying investigators must have a court's approval before they can order Internet providers to turn over records without telling customers.

U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero said the government orders must be subject to meaningful judicial review and that the recently rewritten Patriot Act "offends the fundamental constitutional principles of checks and balances and separation of powers."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/6/07 by FredT]

[edit on 9/6/07 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is a key ruling that prevents the government from simply appropriating Internet records without cause. Lets face it they can get a friendly judge to approve almost anything anyway so why do they need this legislation. the Patriot Act IMHO has been nothing but a surrender of our constitutional rights and once lost they are impossible to get back.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I searched for this before I posted my own and didn't find anything, I guess it takes Google some time to update. Sorry mods, for the dual posting. Anyway; here are more links to versions of the story. Plus a link to the 106 page PDF of the ruling itself.
the ruling, from the ACLU
A long winded version from Wired
A truncated story from the BBC

The judge put a stay on his ruling, giving the government time to appeal. Which makes no sense, considering that he was given the case because he struck down a similar provision in the 2004 Patriot Act and was asked to review the new version for constitutionality.

join