It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Used Car for $3,000 USD or under.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Let's hear em boys.

I'm partial to hatchbacks, coupes, little cars, european cars, but like domestic and japanese equally (euros my fave).

I want something with 100k plus mileage, right now my best bet seems to be the 1994-1999 Volkswagen Golf & Jetta 2.0 4 cylinder. I really, really dont want to buy a Honda despite some of their hatchbacks being appealing at this price.

If its not going to be a lightweight hatch/coupe, It should be something rear wheel drive that has some potential of being a fun sporty car.

Whatcha got?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by runetang

The Nissan 240sx is a great 4 cylinder rear wheel drive coupe(160hp). You can probobly find one in the mid to late 90's for under 3000 dollars. They don't make them anymore, but they were and still are very popular among import enthusiasts.

If you are ever looking to upgrade it, you will have lots of choices. You can remove the stock engine and buy a JDM sylvia engine for another 2 to 3000 bucks that gets about 250-350 hp depending on how many pounds of boost you run the turbo on. My friend had hooked up his car in a similar fashion, and I've seen him humiliate people in mustang GT's, and even keep up with a few corvettes.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
You know, I considered this one.

I would rock a 240sx, the last gen with that 160HP truck motor, lol, its a 4cyl from Nissan's truck line of the time, but its good. RWD all the way if possible!

I am coming from a BMW 325is 1994, sport package .. the motor ate it at 180,000 miles ..
it wouldve lasted longer but had an unknown internal issue caused by a real late oil change one time (when i was out of town !!).

Anyway, maybe i can get $1,500 for it .. with the motor bein' gone and all. So that will help me out some in savings.

The problem with the S14 240sx .. is that it is so popular among import enthusiasts! And my area has alot of them! Enthusiasts.. so they all want to rock the 240's. I look on autotrader and find like .. 5 of them within 100 miles, one of them under $5,000.

Now the 240sx that came before that one, the S13, I would buy one of those as well believe it or not, some people prefer those MORE than the newer model. Anyways, if I could find one cheap enough I'd grab it. But apparently they're more rare than the damn VW's ..

Only Honda I'd consider owning would be a 5th generation prelude. Just because it is a very nice car overall, handles excellent, has a great motor in it, the 2.2 V-tec. And I dont like Hondas! So you know it was a good car. But they seem a few thousand out of my price range, perhaps if I had $6,000 to throw around I could get lucky.

But if I had $6,000, I'd definitely be looking at used 97 Audi A4 1.8Turbo AWD cars! lol .. and also, Jetta VR6's with the slim-angle V6 with balls..

[edit on 9/6/2007 by runetang]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I know Im a little late but I had to throw in my $.02 here.

Do NOT buy a volkswagen for the love of god. I do not understand the love people have for these cars at all, but if you want something reliable stay away from v-dub.

If it helps get my point across, I am an ASE cert mechanic with an AS degree in Auto tech and I've had to work on a ton of these horrible cars, old and new. VW reliability is damn near the absolute worst. I'm sure some fanboy is going to chew me out for this but its the truth. My wife owns a 2003 VW and I would LOVE to just destroy it in the cruelest way possible. I'm tired of fixing all the ridiculous problems it comes up with every few weeks. Its terrible!

I just bought a 4th gen prelude for 2500 a few months ago with 180000 miles and I've had no mechanical problems whatsoever. Unfortunately these early 90s model Hondas are known for electrical problems. Ive had a few with the prelude but they were extremely easy to straighten out.

Honda and Nissan are extremely reliable cars. Theres TONS of them out on the road in your price range that run damn near perfect. On the domestic side the only brand Id even consider buying (in the $3000 range) is a Chevy/GMC. I'm not being bias, there's cars from every company out there I'd love to take for a spin, just not many Id like to own

Im just very picky about reliability I guess.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I wouldn't get a Jetta either unless you're the first and only owner of it. If you don't know where VW's or anything German has been, you might want to stay away from it. I would just go with a 1990+ Civic Hatch. I know it's front wheel drive but those things will ruin a pricy cars day with a few grand under the hood. There's a dude here in Salt Lake running low 12's all motor b/18 hybrid. You could also look around at 2nd generation Supra's or even 86-93 mustang 5.0's if you're dead set on RWD. It's all preference. Good luck!

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by PlausibleDeniability

i am no fanboy but i will say i disagree.
my certs are expired cause of my injury but i was an ASE certified tech and a PACT certified tech.
i have nothing but good things to say about VW's...

i'd buy one right now if i needed a car and the price was right....

different strokes i guess.

if you ever want to talk wrenching, feel free

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I don't know why Mazdas get over looked.

My 626 has 250,000 miles on it and only uses a little oil, has had no major problems that I needed to put it in the shop for, still pretty peppy, and the styling makes the current rash of dreck look stupid.

Except for the new Mustangs ofcourse.

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
You might want to check out AE-86 Toyota Corollas. Relatively cheap, rear wheel drive, and a huge aftermarket.

apc

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Anything Japanese for longevity and fuel economy.

Honda, Nissan, Toyota. Not even broken in until 150kmi. And anybody can fix them.

I miss my '96 Prelude. May she rest in pieces.

VWs are a PITA to work on.

If you want something to do a rally buildup on, up your budget to get a motor with lower mileage. Don't want to dump in a grand in mods only to blow the head gasket.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   
The VW reliability thing seems to come from Turbo Charged VWs. My roomate is a big dubber and goes to a bunch of meets and drags me out with him and all the guys say the same thing Daily Driver NA VW or a Honda. If you want RWD why even look at VW?

Funny thing is these VW guys are really hardcore but I bring out my 2002 WS6 and they all get a shock and awe and ask me all sorts of questions. A car that runs 10s and still gets 18mpg is impressive even to dubbers. But thats a domestic way out of the 3k price range. lol Id say go honda I have a prelude as my DD, the WS6, SN95, and 67 Firechicken. The Honda is the only one that hasnt broken anything. But then again its stock.

new topics

top topics

join