It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tenor Opera Singer Luciano Pavarotti Dead at 71

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Tenor Opera Singer Luciano Pavarotti Dead at 71

www.reuters.com

ROME (Reuters) - Italian opera star Luciano Pavarotti, hailed by many as the greatest tenor of his generation, died in the early hours of Thursday, his manager Terri Robson said.

"Luciano Pavarotti died one hour ago," Robson said in a telephone text message to Reuters. He was 71.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Additional News Stories:

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 9/6/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I've never been a big opera fan, but the music from the Three Tenors was quite impressive.

May he rest in peace.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Yeah I just read this... I'm not a big fan either, but he's gonna be missed by thousands!

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Opera is a wonderful art form, but developing a true appreciation for it is demanding and even grueling.

It demands undivided attention from virtually all of the senses.

Pavarotti's personality and his incredible voice encouraged an interest in opera by those who might never have given it a second thought.

The world will miss him a lot and it may be a long time before someone else with his charisma emerges.

By the way, at their best the "Three Tenors" were awe-inspiring, but I was never drawn in by that act, as it was designed to appeal to the masses, who wouldn't lift a finger to really appreciate opera as it should be.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I will miss you Luciano,
Anyone who can bring 'Meatloaf' to sing 'Return to Sorento' and reduce me to a blubbering idiot, then have Eric Clapton play back up lead guitar brought a whole new dimension to the art of performance.
His vocals with 'Bono', Cheryl Crow and yes, even Michael Bolton elevated their performance no end. You will be missed Luciano.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havalon
I will miss you Luciano,
Anyone who can bring 'Meatloaf' to sing 'Return to Sorento' and reduce me to a blubbering idiot

I never heard that, but Meatloaf has an incredible set of pipes of his own.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I spoke earlier of my feelings about Opera singers singing popular songs, not that they can't do it, it just always seems like a waste of talent.

I used to do an impression of Robert Merrill doing a rendition of "Smoke on the Water." It was bad and most people found it annoying, but some got the joke and we had fun with it.

I have just found this rendition of "New York, New York" by Liza Minnelli and Pavarotti.

"New York" is such a great show tune and, whatever else you might think of Minnelli, especially after her Larry King interview recently, she really knows, or perhaps knew, how to belt out a tune.

Here, her brash style blends remarkably well with Pavarotti's classical style and more importantly, his personality really shines through as he applies his voice to this real show stopping song.

I think it's a fitting tribute to the man and perhaps we can have those who appreciate Pavarotti post some of their favorite videos of Pavarotti singing in his charismatic style.

I hope so, anyway.

[edit on 2007/10/31 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havalon
Anyone who can bring 'Meatloaf' to sing 'Return to Sorento' and reduce me to a blubbering idiot....

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Nessun Dorma

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   
James Brown and Luciano Pavarotti

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Pavarotti and Bryan Adams

You have to give Adams credit for simply sharing the stage with "the voice," but ultimately, the do well together.

I thing the success of the duets is that Pavarotti doesn't try to upstate anyone, he just sings.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Andrea Bocelli and Luciano Pavarotti Medley

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Pavarotti & Bono (U2) - Miserere

[edit on 2007/10/31 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Lou Reed and Luciano Pavarotti Perfect Day 2001

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Pavarotti & Ricky Martin - Vento

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Pavarotti and Michael Bolton who surprised the hell out of me.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Pavarotti: Ave Maria

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Thanks Grady for these videos. It is a great tribute to one of the worlds best. I loved seeing everyone enjoy themselves so much. It made my morning a wonderful start to a "perfect day". I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Great fun. Pavarotti will truely be missed. Thank God for our technology, we can enjoy him at will.

May he rest in peace, and sympathy to his family and fans.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nickh

Millions!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a sad day indeed

will we ever see one like him again?

top topics

join