It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Buys The Admiral Gorshkov: Accessories Included.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   

This ship is the most heavily armed carrier in the world. The Russians classify it as a heavy aircraft carrying cruiser. It is capable of attacking subs, ships, and aircraft with it's guns and missiles.

It is more like a cruiser with aircraft. The large missiles in the tubes on the deck were SS-N 12 Sandbox anti-ship missiles, but they would most likely be upgraded to newer models. with Sunburns, or newer missiles this ship is a large threat.

An odd Russian design that was never tested in combat.

[Edited on 18-1-2004 by ArchAngel]

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
In regards to India and China, the Indian Ocean and the Asian Zone.....I did a little cross referencing on other current events in relation to the 'Asian Zone' and ran across this article on Singapore's new stealth frigates, one of six, that were launched this month. Another "checked off box" against China's ambitions?

regards
seekerof

well, china is building four new Type 052B large destroyers five Type 052C and 3 stealthy Type 054 New Generation Missile Frigates.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectorGaza

Originally posted by ArchAngel
I would guess that India will equip the carrier with Harriers and Sea King helicopters as they already have carrier experience, and support for these types.

I doubt the Russians have and old Yak's around to go with this ship.

no, it will have 28 MiG-29K's, and 6 Ka-31's. they were sold to india as a set along with the carrier

It was my understanding that this class could not support fixed wing planes like the MiG29. Please look at the links I provided.

I have searched for sources that say they can be launched, but have not found any other than this one.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

with Sunburns, or newer missiles this ship is a

more like the new generation Brahmos ASMs that were developed with russia.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   

no, it will have 28 MiG-29K's, and 6 Ka-31's. they were sold to india as a set along with the carrier

It was my understanding that this class could not support fixed wing planes like the MiG29. Please look at the links I provided.

I have searched for sources that say they can be launched, but have not found any other than this one.

here:

from mignews.com

It is known that within the framework of the agreement, India is obtaining 28 MiG-29K fighters and 6 Ka-31 combat helicopters which will be based on the �Admiral Gorshkov.�

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Everyone is worried about china... i wonder how pakistan feel about this... and dont forget india are allegedly in talks with the US to purchase a 'Son of Star Wars' missile defense program... so it seems they want to beef themselves up a bit... poor poor pakistan... its a good thing they're right next to each other otherwise the nukes may have already flown

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   

The ship will not be ready for several years. it will be upgraded with a longer flight deck and most of the weapons will be removed.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I'm assuming this is part of the "4 year refit"?

*edit* I do like the way your latest update picture says: "Full-Size" Carrier

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 18-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by KKing123
the reason the refit is going to take so long is they are basically completely rebuilding it into a more conventional aircraft career

I love how people pay attention to me...

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I would guess that India will equip the carrier with Harriers and Sea King helicopters as they already have carrier experience, and support for these types.

I doubt the Russians have and old Yak's around to go with this ship.

What about Su-27s? Also, nice photo of the Tu-22M, Sector Gaza!
They made a brief cameo in the movie The Sum of All Fears and basically level a U.S. Nimitz class.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

india also plans to buy tu-22m3 bombers

Then it's clear. India want to be in position to nuke Pakistan or China if necessary.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix
Then it's clear. India want to be in position to nuke Pakistan or China if necessary.

Wasn't it always the same? India and Pakistan were fighting from the day they got independence and China just joined the fight.

posted on Jan, 19 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It is obvious that India is now coming more into the US fold and is being allowed to greatly increase its arms and capabilities.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

india also plans to buy tu-22m3 bombers

Sector,
I just ran across this article that was released 1/22/2004:

"India, Russia fail to conclude agreement on Tu-22 bombers
Aerospace Daily01/22/2004
Link: (will need to join to view, so I will post it here...its relatively small article)
www.aviationnow.com...

NEW DELHI - India and Russia failed to conclude a long-pending deal for India to lease four Tupolev Tu-22 "Backfire" bombers from Russia during the visit here of Russia's defense minister.

An Indian defense ministry official said the lease was discussed during Sergei Ivanov's visit (DAILY, Jan. 21), but no agreement was reached. India and Russia have been discussing the lease for five years.

India wants to lease the aircraft for $20 million each for five years, but Russia is seeking $30 million for each aircraft, sources said.

Officials here say the acquisition of Tu-22 would play a crucial role in India's nuclear deterrence, which is based on a triad of land, air and sea-based platforms capable of delivering nuclear weapons."

I have found no information on India seeking or commiting to buy Russian Tu-22m3's. All I have found mentions the 'leasing' of a small number. The numbers vary per source.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Interesting article indicating what Pakistan thinks about India acquiring the Gorshkov:

"Indian Acquisition of a Russian Aircraft Carrier'
Link:
www.paknews.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
It is obvious that India is now coming more into the US fold and is being allowed to greatly increase its arms and capabilities.

Too true, India is in the US pocket, accepting outsourcing service contracts, and eliminating jobs in the US homeland.

Now, thinking back it occurs to me that this means India is a US partner now, making enemies of India, non-friends of the US.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
India a US partner?

Never!

If India is anything to anybody its Russias Nro.1 ally.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join