It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Leader Calls For Urgent Delivery Of Anti-aircraft Missile Systems To Iran

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I think they talked the talk, now they are trying to walk the walk. They are showing us that they are not alone on this issue, and they have some big players on their side. If the war would happen with the countries I said before, adding a few more, then US, Russia, and China will be the biggest players in this. That is US' biggest threat, Israel, Iran and Syria will be fighting off each other, and we can't forget Australia in there.

All in all, I will say if a World War breaks out, then there will be more lives lost now then WW2 or WW1. I guess we must wait and see what our leaders have in store for us tomorrow, maybe a terrorist attack, maybe a nuke here, a nuke there, then we will all wake up from a long coma and hopefully something happens.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
The financial markets obviously have a GREAT stake in what the US posture is towards Iran. They are watching this situation closely because the result will have a dynamic impact on the price, currency and trade of oil. Also, if a conflict comes to fruition the tech and industrial stocks will be wildly affected, as they normally do in a new war time. It is possible that, at this point, only a war could pull the markets out of the mortgage slump.

All indicators seem to point to war, the markets, the movement of military assets on BOTH sides, the rhetoric on BOTH sides. The only thing that seems to be missing is the spark to light the powder keg. I am still struggling with the fact that America will just, out of the blue, drop bombs on Iran without some sort of provocation or "smoking gun" style of evidence.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
One thing to consider here, if the Russians are actually pushing to have this system put in place to help Iran defend itself against U.S. attacks, it changes the dynamics all together.

Preemptive strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities not only become more dangerous, the possibility of a U.S. Russian conflict over Iran comes into play.

It potentially changes everything. And could ad a new urgency to U.S. plans to carry out these preemptive strikes before the Russians are able to get this defensive system in place.

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by UM_Gazz

Do you really think that blowing Iran to hell before Russia's missiles get there would annoy Russia any less than after they arrived?

Seems to me that if Russia is going to get tweeked off by an attack on an ally, it really won't matter to them if their missiles are in place or not.

Well, it might annoy them more, since Iran would likely cancel the missile deal and Russia would lose the sale.
Nothing tweeks a nation off like losing a sale.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Maybe they will only do that to test their own systems? Also, Russia is not dumb, they know that NATO expansion in the middle-east is meant to take all oil and encircle Russia and China for world domination. Putin is a piece of beep but at least he seems nationalistic, he doesn't seem like he's a NWO-population reduction puppet.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend no?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Let us no forget it was Zhirinovsky who made this comment. Thank god this man is [still] not calling the shots, he doesnt speak for Russian Foreign or Military affairs..As vice chairman he''s more supposed to be unbiased in this issue.. I really dont think Russia or China will let this escalate any further then a proxy war and arms sailes..At the most China will launch its monetairy bomb, "nothing more"..

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Foppezao]

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Foppezao]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao
At the most China will launch its monetairy bomb, nothing more..

Hehe...
Nothing more?
You say that like it's a small thing.
If China was to drop "the money bomb" the US would likely have no choice other than to go on a rampage and kick off world war 3.

That bomb has the potential to do more harm, globally, than a nuke would.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Don't you know who Zhirinovsky is? Researching of his views and words is the least thing one should do.

Ram

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   

S-400 Triumf - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There seems to be an S-500 version - so maybe russia is selling out the S-400's.
I dunno anything about these things either.
-
I wonder if those things have Toilets and bathroom in them though
Or sleeping cabins..
Maybe it's capable of housing a family... You know all funds goes to military...
Do they come in pink? Does it have a kitchen? microwave oven and stuff.
WOULD BE SO COOL...

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Ram]
Stupid planet!!

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Ram]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
RAF Intercepts Eight Russian Bombers

news.sky.com

RAF Tornados intercepted eight Russian bombers as they approached UK airspace. The Bear Tupolev-95 planes - which can carry nuclear and Cruise missiles - were detected by Nato early this morning.

Ministry of Defence officials said four F3 fighters were scrambled from RAF Leeming in Yorkshire and RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
I am a bit out to lunch on weapons technology, but won't it take some time to send, deliver, install and train Iranian forces to use something like this? I don't think an advanced air defense system is like installing a microwave oven.

My point is that if this is a direct result of Iran preparing for Israeli/US airstrikes then won't it be too late (assuming we are on the eve of war) for the Iranians to acquire such technology?

Or does this indicate that the Iranians, although they assume a air assault is inevitable, don't think it will happen for some time?

Very good question. I wonder if the Russians will be sending along 'trainers' to 'assist' the Iranian military. If so, they would be able to activate and run the systems quickly.

Also, no matter what the current situation is, countries are always looking to upgrade their military technology....so Iran definitely would want to purchase these units, even if they took time to install and had a lengthy learning curve.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Deja vu? I seem to remember someone (may have even been russia) giving Iran AA weapons some months ago when everyone was afraid Ahmadinajad(sp) was going to launch some kind of attack... I can't find the post, but I'm still looking, but this issue is familiar to me. They weren't the S-400's, but they were SAM sites none the less.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Doesn't Iran already HAVE some S-400's set up in a star of david-like pattern around their nuclear plants? Recently aquired from Russia?

And Syria has bought a couple S-400 systems for defense against "Israeli aggression" .

These S-400's would have to be taken out by Stealth fighters and such technology before any massive air attack would take place, or else we'd be seeing quite a few captured U.S. airmen paraded on Iranian TV ..

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Zhirinovsky!

Didn't know the old rabblerouser was still operating. President of the Duma, yet.

Doesn't mean he has any power. The Duma is just a rubberstamp for Putin. Real power in Russia lies with the president and the FSB, the successor to the KGB, Cheka, etc.

A leader article in last week's Economist talks about this. There is a much longer article on the subject further inside the issue.

What Zhirinovsky says doesn't matter, unless Putin has told him to say it. Then it matters a lot.

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Astyanax]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by runetang

Iran has no SA-21 SAM systems, neither does Syria. Furthermore there is no credible proof or evidence to suggest that Iran has any operational SA-20 SAM systems. What is does have are old US Hawk and 'improved' Hawk systems in combination with Soviet SA-6, local SA-5 and Chinese SA-2 systems. Iran also possesses several point defense missiles systems, the most capable of these are the SA-15's it purchased from Russia recently.

However Iran's air defenses are not numerous enough, highly integrated, complimentary or supported by a highly capable air force to deny the USAF air superiority. Our VLO, EW, ECM, SEAD, DEAD and smart munition (cruise missiles included) assets would quickly overwhelm Iran's air defenses. Some casualties are possible but nothing we can't absorb or accept...

[edit on 6-9-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ecidemon
...everyone was afraid Ahmadinajad(sp) was going to launch some kind of attack...

Ahmadinejad is NOT going to launch some kind of attack.

If it's claimed that Iran has struck first you can be sure it is a set-up. I can't believe some of you are buying into all the propaganda and hype to yet ANOTHER war. Iraq is going that well that we need to try again?

Listen, I keep seeing these sort of threads where someone mentions Irans military, current weapons, or soon to be purchased weapons, then come the inveitable responses:

"We'll annihilate them." "They'll be a smoking crater." "Iran with be destroyed in seconds." "We'll blow them to dust."

Most of you have severely underestimated President Ahmadinejad's intelligence, if you actually think you know something more about the current conflict, Iranian military preparedness and potential wars in regards to the middle-east and the players therein. The media has done well in painting him as a cross-eyed ninny it seems.

In 1976, (Ahmadinejad) took Iran's national university entrance exams (konkoor) to gain admission into Iran's top universities. His test score ranked him 132nd among over 400,000 participants that year, landing him at the Iran University of Science and Technology (IUST) as an undergraduate student of civil engineering.

After the Iranian Revolution, he entered the Master of Science program for civil engineering in 1984. In 1989, he became a member of the Science faculty at the university where he had studied. In 1997, he received his Ph.D. in transportation engineering and planning from the Science and Technology University.
Wiki

Does he sound like a blathering idiot to you? Do you honestly think he cannot comprehend the limitations of his own country? I don't even think many of those gloating even have equivalent credentials.

Let me state it again, because some of you love to hear it... If Iran is ever attacked by the United States and/or Israel...and no one intervenes...Iran can potentially be destroyed. It does not stand a chance. This is obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Guess what though folks? That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. It doesn't make me want to fluff up my pillow and sleep soundly with a huge smile. I take no pleasure in the possible destruction of a country that has not harmed me, has not concretely expressed any intent to harm me, has not invaded another country to force it's own agenda on it's citizens, and...as you all love to point out...cannot adequately defend itself.

Iran is trying it's best to appear "defensively" strong to it's citizens who by now are probably in a stressful panic over what could be the imminent loss of their families and friends. What else would you have a country that is facing an approaching battle against two powerful forces tell it's people?

Of course it's all posturing. It's all to let the people know that Iran will defend itself. "Defend"...thats the key word there.

This whole thing is beyond sad in my mind...but keep gloating if it makes you feel better. The fact remains that If we attack Iran, their military will be the least of our problems. This whole endeavor to destroy Iran I fear will result in a world war that will devastate the United States and it's already shaky economy. This would essentially be the jump start to apocalypse.

Most of you are not looking at the bigger picture because you can't see over the huge gun barrel America has in its hand.

History has shown that great empires fall.
Often it's on the sword of it's own hubris.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
If America would not be installing nuclear missile sites in Europe, then much of these power games between countries would not be taking place. How did America like it when Mother Russia was sending missiles to Cuba?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists
If America would not be installing nuclear missile sites in Europe, then much of these power games between countries would not be taking place. How did America like it when Mother Russia was sending missiles to Cuba?

LOL, then maybe the Russians shouldn't have installed missiles in Europe either and ruled occupied Eastern Europe with an iron fist

And...it wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference, your argument makes no sense.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I wonder how our ATS brothers and sisters in Iran are fairing? I'm an American and I have family who are in the service and over seas right now. I wouldn't want to throw them in any more hot water, and I don't want anything to happen to the Iranian people. The Iranian president wants WW3 so he can usher in the 13th Imam or Mahdi (Muslim savior and Christian Antichrist). He believes this so strongly that he would sacrifice himself and his people. Not to mention the countless other lives that would be lost. If any Iranian ATS members are reading this, I would love to hear what you have to say on this matter. I would also like to know what you are being told. I'll pray for you and yours and hopefully cooler heads will prevail and we can come to a peaceful understanding.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Iran already has the TOR-M1 AA systems in place. These are no joke, they are designed to shoot down cruise missiles at low altitude. They also work for aircraft.

Here are some cold war style stuff that has been happening.
B-52 loaded with nukes. Bear Tu-95's flying to edges of Alaskan, and U.K. airspace. Russia arming it's allies, US arming it's allies. Russia positioning it's self in the Artic, US responding in kind. Russia says nyet on the U.S. missile shield.

Here is the wrench in the works. China is now very powerful, both economically and militarily. They have positioned themselves in South America. Also Russia is helping to arm Venezuela.

The tension is very tight.

What will Russia do if we Nuke Iran?
What will China do?
What will the Middle-East do?

Unfortunately I think we will have answers to these horrifying questions sooner than we would like.

A good policy for self preservation at times like these is: If a nuke goes off in anger in any country on Earth, leave civilization for at least 2 weeks. Go to a place that is not in a fallout zone of any major city and or military installation.

I don't know what Russia will do if we Nuke Iran. Or even if we conventional weapon it. But If we do nuke them(dial a yield bunker busters with a 1-20 kt yield) I can imagine the worst case scenario. Worst case, global thermonuclear war. Best case Russia and China do nothing. There are a staggering amount of other options that could also occur.

I really hope our neocon faction that is running things doesn't stab another fire ant mound, just to find that it is really 5 huge connected antbeds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join