It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I feel bad for putting someone on "IGNORE"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It has never happen to me since I join this site, I have never feel the need of placing someone on the ignore list, I thought that I was capable of handling any point of view of any person as long they will explain their thinking in a rationale way. In fact I have always question why this even had a IGNORE.

Well this guy did so (I think), even as his views on the subject were totally opposite than mine and even he though he was kind of edgy with his comments, they were far from insulting, still my reaction was to click the IGNORE.

The thing is that now I think that I have failed myself, I thought that I was as open minded person that can be, but apparently thats not the case. Sorry for my story, just need it to take it out of my chest.

[edit on 5-9-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
One question...Do they support a better argument than you and that is why you want to put them on ignore? I would only use ignore if a person had zero value in their comments or were inflammatory just to be. With that said I do not think there is anyone here that I would actually use the ignore on them.
There are people here though that will weed out all people who disagree with them with the ignore button and that I find very narrow minded. When I find that I have debated a topic as best I can and I could not sway the other person in the least and they can’t sway me in the least I just stop posting even though I might still read. I just see at some point that there is nothing I can say or do to convince the other person and that is OK by me for I tried.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Inflammatory would be the right word to describe what the individual was posting at least in my opinion. It was not either helping or advancing the subject that was being discuss at the time. He had such a narrow view of what was being debated and I will not lie it hit such a nerve with me that for the sake of keeping my cool ( I mean I don't come here to be having a bad time, I have plenty of those in real life)

What ticks me is that I usually post on ATS and AP and I usually handle all comments from any view quite well, but I guess that this guy wasn't even worth replying or for me to dedicate not even a second on trying to understand what he was saying, that's why I ultimately out him on ignore.

It show me though that every now and then you find someone around you that see what you see not only different but from an entire different perspective.

People will agree to disagree sometimes but this was something different.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Better to put them on ignore than to instigate a flame war that both of you will lose when the mods have to step in. You can always remove them from the ignore at a later date...

So don't feel guilty, ignore is better than banned.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It looks like I've been here a bit longer than the other posters in this thread, and I can proudly say that I've never used that particular feature.

I view "Ignore" as the beginning of ignorance, and any problems I've encountered with other members or mods have been resolve with the "complain/suggestion" feature in the members center, or with the alert button.

I'd like to see the "Ignore" button removed from these boards except as an option for the staff to use.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Depends why you put them on Ignore.

I have never had to use my ignore button and I don't intend to.
No-one here has irked me that much at all.
If it's just a matter of oppinians then surely they can say what they want and you should accept that thats what they believe.
If they are purposely arguing with you and flameing you then do it...

[edit on 5-9-2007 by Chukkles]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I had someone on my ignore list because I didn't like them.

I didn't feel bad.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I would say if it makes you feel better, do it.

Only you can answer that question. I dont use it because i want to see what the *cough* person writes and if its about me. I like to defend myself. Always remember, though, do it civily and nicely.
You can always pretend they dont exist and dont react at all to their posts!
THAT always gets 'em.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
You can always pretend they dont exist and dont react at all to their posts!
THAT always gets 'em.

That's what I do too dg. But I have put some people on "ignore." I even put myself on "ignore" because I didn't know what I was talking about.
And I didn't feel any guilt pangs whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
i have two people on ignore
and thats mostly because i got so tired of repeating the same thing
that i couldnt stand them.

ignore great way to stop you getting banned

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I view "Ignore" as the beginning of ignorance, and any problems I've encountered with other members or mods have been resolve with the "complain/suggestion" feature in the members center, or with the alert button.

I'd like to see the "Ignore" button removed from these boards except as an option for the staff to use.

then you forget thanks to the ignore function people are able to ignore trolls on ATS, those that would rather argue and talk trash then discuess things
ignore feature ensures the person doesnt have to put up with rubbish from others, and there is nothing ignorance about it

just my 2 cents on that

also ive been here 2 months longer

[edit on 5-9-2007 by bodrul]

new topics

top topics

join