It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem Reaction Solution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I am opening this thread to discuss one of the basic concepts of Conspiracy Theory: Problem-Reaction-Solution.

Definition of this concept:

Someone creates a problem and gets people to react so that this someone can then offer the solution. This has the problem and solution coming from the same source. Other phrases to describe PRS (problem-reaction-solution) have been "false flag operations" and "who benefits?"

Some speculative examples of this concept:

An anti-virus software company produces viruses themselves so that more people buy their products

Lightbulb companies shorten the life-span of their light-bulbs so that they can sell more

A dentist exaggerates the services required so that the patient will return more often

A Government stages a fake terrorist attack so that it can justify a number of laws and actions that people would otherwise not accept.

A Boyfriend watches a horror-movie with his girlfriend so that he can then protect her when she gets scared

A religion instills fears and worries in its members so that it can offer the "solutions"

A cult lets people fill out a questionaire that reveals "problems" of the people so that it can then offer services.

A software produces withholds latest technologies in order to have more to sell for later.

The research and discussion on PRS could be:

1. can humans become evil enough to frequently apply PRS?

2. how often has PRS really been applied?

3. which of the above mentioned examples could really be true?

4. do some of us use PRS unwittingly?

5. Does the intended solution to a problem sometimes actually perpetuate the problem? (examples: do police NEED criminals in order to stay in business?) Metaphysically speaking: Are problems and solutions to sides of the same coin?

6. Have you ever personally applied PRS (knowingly or unwittingly..as in the above-mentioned horror-film example)

7. Is not any type of generating fear or desire (lack) in order to sell something PRS?

I look forward to discussion and real-life examples of PRS, especially those of corporations and governments.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   
i believe the strongest/concentrated example of this is found in the writings of a 'Leo Strauss"

but also there is this link: www.bestcyrano.org...
the first paragraphs to build up to the PRS concept are thought provoking...

but at the break point:

If you control the means of communication,

[...]

they really get to spelling out the 'P-R-S' model, & all it entails with regard to current events so even i can understand

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The Website is an interesting read indeed. But I didnt quite get how Leo Strauss relates to this thread...I must be missing something. Maybe you`d like to clarify.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Continued.

Similar to PRS is the concept "Create your own Enemy". Lets say you establish a cult somewhere. And then you establish critics and enemies as well. This would serve the purpose of controlling your enemies and limiting the scope of their attacks or hiding bigger lies with lesser lies. This would be like the CIA installing the government of Iran in order to have an enemy anytime they need one to justify certain moves.

I know and sense that all of these things are happening...because they are profitable and work...I just dont have much evidence of them being applied. I will rely on ATS-posters to come up with more evidence.

One way to find evidence is to look at some problem in society and then looking at who benefits from the problem and then find the hidden link. this was done with osama bin laden: the problem (osama) was found. It was found that the US Government benefits from this problem. And then the hidden link between osama and the CIA (in afghanistan) was found.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
A really well thought-out thread. Flags all around!

I am going to think about it a bit before I respond too much more but I am very interested in the topic. I agree that it is used often in Corporate America as you have suggested. A good question regarding individual use is whether it is used consciously or subconsciously.

A similar thread but not as well put:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
thanks for the interest kosmicjack. look forward to your thoughts.

I had a personal experience last week that got me thinking more about PRS. A "healer" contacted me and ask me to translate a letter she was wanting to write into English. I refused to translate it because I found the contents disturbing to say the least. This "healer" was wanting to write a standardized letter to people she didnt know, telling them that she had a "vision" in which she saw that they are being posessed by "negative parasite entities" that IS causing cancer (not could but IS) and that they needed her help. I asked her if she knows any of these people. She said no, but responded that she had these "visions" and must help these people immediatly. she was almost hysterical about it. as far as I am concerned she was aiming at implanting the belief that these people are sick so that she can "heal" them. The funny thing was that she didnt seem to be using PRS intentionally. She really believed in her visions. It later turned out that the people who received her letter (which someone else had translated) thought she was nuts. She wrote to me aksing me if I am "negatively influencing the responses she gets by remote magick". Fact was that I hadnt even thought about her let alone the people she claims are sick. very delusional.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
We've a problem with youth crime in the UK, the reaction from the public has led to the whole country to be fitted with spy cameras. The problem is shill there though.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
good point. "the problem is still here though" is common when PSR operations are being carried out. now they can use the crime rate (which they might have perpetuated themselves) to install further measures.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Heres a little something for you guys... I thought David Icke coined that Term?

dont mind the cheesy music here.. but you get my point...

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
didnt know theres a video to accompany this thread. thanks.

yes...among the very few good things david icke coined was the term problem-reaction-solution.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
David Icke was where I first heard the term used also.
This is a very fascinating thread and I will look forward to learning more about this subject.
I had never realized how often we do unconsciously create this reality for ourselves.
It was OK when Icke mentioned the evil governments doing it, but are you saying that he too is doing it? Is it a reverse or unconscious act on his part?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Reverse or unconscious act on his part sounds right. however, he created the reptilian problem but he`s a bit slow in offering the solution.

in my own life I have noticed many opportunities to apply PRS, but when I notice it, I dont. In my business (which I will not disclose here), I actually loose customers by giving them full solutions. they come to me for certain solutions. and after I have given them the solution they say

"that was great, I will come back to you!" to which I respond:

"you dont need to come back to me for this, you already have the solution". and thats the truth. but often I have felt tempted not to disclose everything I know, in order to make more money.

Having experienced this so often, I absolutely KNOW parts of the world must be run this way.

so, one valid reason for non-disclosure/secrecy is to "keep interest going", keep the game running, keep the people guessing and paying and struggling.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The reason PRS works is evident everywhere...even here at ATS. The sensationalist and fear-based problem-threads create the most reaction, while the threads that neutrally examine those sensationalist threads get less reaction. It seems to me that anything less than the most outrageous nonsense creates boredom in people.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Just for fun I typed the following phrases into google:

"Norton creates viruses"

and later

"Norton makes viruses"

and surprise, surprise: I found that there seems to be a belief among computer-geek communities that Norton indeed does "create viruses in order to pretend that they are cleaning up your computer". It would be interesting to take this rumour and find solid evidence for it. But since I know nothing of software programming I am not the one to find out. Any suggestions?

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
So, of the 60 000 posting members at ATS nobody wants to discuss the questions suggested in the opening post?

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The P.R.S. has beenn shown to apply in many ways, and similar to how Wigit describes too.

The one example that springs to mind is the Leah Betts/Ecstasy culture some years ago...as a result of a young girl dying from complications after taking a new 'club-underground' drug, ecstasy was forced into the public conciousness through the media...masses of funds are allocated to police and researchers into the drug culture, the result of which focussed attention highlights even more ecstasy related media-scare stories and police busts, so enabling more resources to be allocated...and the cycle continues by its own perpetuation...examination, discovery, shock and moral panic...so leading to closer examination, more shock, greater moral panic...etc

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   
or how about the Pharamaceutical industry as another example...

Problem:
New compound discovered in a lab that suppresses certain neurological and behavioural proccesses in trials

Reaction:
Medical establishment looks at various types of obsessive-compulsive behaviours and reclassifies behavioural patterns that fit the pharamaceutical compound's suppression effects to create a market for a new product

Solution:
New 'cure' announced for reclassified neurological behaviour (such as ADHD) and a mass market created to enable research lab to recoup costs and make a profit

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
excellent examples. I hadnt thought about the ecstasy phenomenon yet...thanks for providing, it is appreciated.

the pharmaceutical PRS is obvious, yes. In fact, its so obvious that its a scandal that it hasnt been outlawed yet. I think even the most unaware of people suspect something is amiss with the pill industry.

new topics

top topics

join