It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge says: ALL UK people Must be on DNA Database

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   

ALL UK people Must be on DNA Database

news.bbc.co.uk

The whole population and every UK visitor should be added to the national DNA database, a senior judge has said. Lord Justice Sedley said the current database, which holds DNA from crime suspects and scenes, was "indefensible" because it was unfair and inconsistent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/9/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I think this judge has been set up by the Government to break the story and make it public so the Government can then continue the debate

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Yeah, why not just go all the way and barcode and chip us all

Why must we all be catalogued this way? I have yet to see any argument for these measures that shows any real benefit to humanity and security. Of course, these days we are all viewed as suspects anyway and need to be monitored in case we say the wrong thing and become a danger to the political leadership and their corporate and banking backers.
At a time when more and more intrusive measures are devised, our leadership enjoy more and more secrecy and unaccountability. Who serves who here?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Ive just watched a Government minister on TV and Im really certain that this Judge has just been the patsy, set up by the government to start a public discussion about this idea.

Judges dont usually spout off like this and any that did would get a slapping down.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   
nice find Chorlton

I dont even need to see what you saw to completely agree with you on this one. It seems the UK is the testing ground for much of these ideas. I mean the whole surveillance thing is off the chart over there and now more talk about DNA databases.

Of course this has also been discussed in Australia with police being granted the powers to take your DNA sample for ANY crime, even as petty as jay walking! Predictably the public didnt see any prob with it, spouting the old "well i have got anything to hide" line and completely missing the point in the process.

Its only a matter of time before this is introduced everywhere

[edit on 5-9-2007 by srsen]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
well, if they are going to implement it then i think ALL politicians, police, army and judges should be first in line to be fingerprinted and dna tested. they should then have their results run through the criminal databases for matches against unsolved crimes (and probably solved crimes that had dna evidence also just to be sure). after all, we should be able to trust those who would guard the integrity of they country shouldn't we?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Theres more about it here

telegraph.co.uk

I just dont know how I feel about this. If one commits a crime, I see it asfair that they should be DNA tested to find out if they have committed any other crimes but feel that it should be time limited.

My one BIG fear for any DNA Database would be security. Its common knowledge that very little is secure anywhere, and thats what worries me.

mod edit to shorten link

[edit on 5-9-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
yeah fair call. If you commit a crime which sees you wind up in jail then yes i would call it fair to get your DNA profiled and placed in a databse.

but there is NO WAY in my mind that i think it is right or acceptable to want to keep everyones DNA in a database. it just scares me to think what could be done with it.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
So what if we refuse to comply? I myself certainly will not be the first inline to have this done.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Not only that but also

He said the only option was to expand the database to cover the whole population and all those who visit the UK.

I already despised UK for his police state mesures, now it's sure, I won't go anywhere near the NWO HQ. No wonder why a lot of british are leaving... And stutmason, I guess you will say that it's not a police state mesure right?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
You should note that this is just a Judge saying this.

Personally I cant see it happening, at least not in the near future, however I can see them beginning to take DNA samples of all newborn sometime in the future.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
it just scares me to think what could be done with it.

A lot of people seem to take this stance, so my question is what do you actually think is going to be done with it?

Originally posted by Vitchilo
No wonder why a lot of british are leaving

I don't think it's the existence of/impending 'police state' that is causing people to leave!!

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
I think this judge has been set up by the Government to break the story and make it public so the Government can then continue the debate

...and is that a bad thing? Surely the open discussion of significant topics such as this is a hallmark of a free democracy and to be applauded, after all we've been discussing the issue here for a long time.

What Lord Sedley has said is that the present situation where anyone arrested for a reportable offence will have a DNA sample taken, whether or not they are charged of convicted, is unacceptable due to its inconsistency, which is an opinion I would agree with and so the question becomes should we move towards 100% coverage of the population with all the benefits that would bring in terms of the ability to identify criminals or should we revert to a situation where only those found guilty of offences have DNA samples retained at the risk of losing the ability to identify criminals who will go free as a result.

His view, based on his experience of resolving a number of old very serious crimes including serial rape is that a full coverage database would be a good thing provided that it was used only for the purposes of crime detection and prevention and provided that it could be administered in an secure and appropriate manner.

You know I really do not grasp the reason for such resistance to this proposal if proper use and security can be guaranteed, (and yes, that is an awfully big "if"). What is the difference between this and a photograph other than the fact that the DNA sample provides far more effective identification? I have never been arrested or interviewed by the police but I know for sure that I have been photographed and videoed many times because I am subversive enough to go to football matches. Should I actually be concerned if I have DNA samples taken as well or should I actually be pleased that if anyone does try to use identification evidence they stand much less chance of picking me in error?

[edit on 5-9-2007 by timeless test]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I don't think something like this is right, DNA is something scientists are still learning from, who knows what they could do with it in future!? Why would I want my DNA on database, when I don't know what they could do with it in future, that is against our human rights if they force us to do this.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Being a regular Blood donor Ive often wondered if DNA from that is stored?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton

Totally agree. They ain't getting mine without a fight.

Originally posted by _Phoenix I don't think something like this is right, DNA is something scientists are still learning from, who knows what they could do with it in future!? Why would I want my DNA on database, when I don't know what they could do with it in future, that is against our human rights if they force us to do this.
Yes, exactly my feeling. Why is this scary? Because humans have culled humans on various scales in the past. This will be the most thorough and selective method in the future, should someone decide on another great cull.Could put new meaning into the quantum world's "action at a distance". There are already influential men who'd like to decimate the planet's pupulation and they're applauded for their great speeches. This is a big deal and the idea should be nipped in the bud before it catches on.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Bit of a sensationalist headline there. One judge thinks that, youve posted it to make it seem like a fact.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure the judge who said this is expressing a poorly thought through personal opinion

The police have said that the DNA database process needs reviewing though. It's been suggested people should be removed from it after a certain period of time .....

Bearing in mind too that the issue has arisen because of perceived racism in the system whereby a greater percentage of black people are on the database compared with white.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
There is a high chance that a large amount of our population is already on such a database.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
Totally agree. They ain't getting mine without a fight.

I'm sure if they really want it, they can get it without a fight being neccesary, that is if they haven't got it already.

Why is this scary? Because humans have culled humans on various scales in the past. This will be the most thorough and selective method in the future, should someone decide on another great cull.

As you say, they have done it before. How would the creation of a DNA database make facilitate a new 'cull'?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join