It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beating Charges Split La. Town Along Racial Lines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Beating Charges Split La. Town Along Racial Lines

www.npr.org

As at hundreds of other high schools across America, black and white students at Jena High School in Jena, La., rarely sit together. The white students gather under a big shade tree in the courtyard, while black students congregate near the auditorium.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The latest chapter of Race in America

The story is about a group of black high school students that got charge with attempted murder for beating a white kid is a Louisiana HS.

The sad part is that all this could have been prevented if adults acted like adults and would have step in when it was necessary, instead now you have a group of like 5 teenagers that won't get a chance to have a decent life because of the inaction of adults.

When this country is going to grow up, how can we expect are young to act the right way when you got adults in position of power acting like morons.

They should drop all charges and get this kid the right they deserve to have a decent life.

Edit to add:

How long before Jesse J. And Al Sharpton and the NAACP to get involved?

www.npr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-9-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
This is a bizarre story.

It seems to me that charging teenagers for attempted second degree murder for a school fight is wrong though, the guy that was attacked wasn't even that badly injured.

I wonder though how they were still going to school after it had burned down and if they're still trying to figure out who did it?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Still a backward country in every sense of the word

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by djohnsto77

The DA in this case, Reed Walters, has an obvious bias against black students, he never press charges when the black kid was beat.

Another thing how in this day an age, you will let three kids hang 3 nooses up a tree and leave them unpunished, in my school district thats an immediate expulsion and good luck finding any public school that will accept the students.

Sad that all this could have been avoided but the inaction of the school officials and the overeaction of DA was just idiotic, now they should get what they deserve, non stop national coverage, Jesse and Al doing what ever they do, and at the end no one will learn anything and the town is going to be even more divided.

[edit on 5-9-2007 by Bunch]

[edit on 5-9-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
So the white kids hung nooses? Not the brightest idea but not harmful. When artists throw feces at saints and klansmen parade and protest theyre all well within their rights to do these things and nobody gets hurt.

Let them hang nooses all over. At the most get them for vandalising if its on public property.

Gathering to beat the crap out of somebody who's just off doing something stupid, stupid but causing no physical harm, is excessive. Does a beating qualify as "attempted murder?" Doubtful but I dont know the speciffic extent of the injuries.

There are stupid people doing stupid things everywhere. It's about time people learn to ingore these idiots rather than physically assaulting them and no doubt subsequently fueling their racist vision of the violent/sub-human black.

Did these guys think that by beating the noose hangers they would somehow change their opinions and get an apology or bring about racial harmony? I know nothing opens up my mind like a sound whooping.

You got stupid people getting mad at other stupid people and reacting stupidly.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Does a beating qualify as "attempted murder?" Doubtful but I dont know the speciffic extent of the injuries.

Apparently he was in the hospital only for a maximum of a few hours and felt well enough to attend some type of social affair the night of the attack.

I think they should be charged with assault, but attempted murder seems way too excessive.

[edit on 9/5/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I saw the news article on TV and I was surprised by the fact that the students had not record of being trouble makers?

Still I wounder what prompted the lack of action by the school staff.

Still I will like to see all the media propagandist like UCLA, the Al Sharptons and Jesse Jackson taking advantage of something like this to shine.

So where are they?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Don't ignore the fact that the nooses were hanged on SCHOOL grounds, the last thing that I expect as a parent is to send my kid to school just to be harass,offended, insulted or discriminated.

That's why I put more blame on school officials than on the kids.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
When I see Jena, La I begin to think backwards people, yet it could happen anywhere in the country. The simple fact is some people are still operating in a tribe mentality. The NWO is comprised of those steeped in esoteric knowledge, the only way we can win is if we start waking some of these tribal folks up and show them that they are more than Black or White.

[edit on 5-9-2007 by Amelie]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I had no idea, if what happen at my school was related or motivated by the event of Jena in anyway, but, just two days ago, one of my old apartment-mate, found a noose hung on a tree by our college Multicultural Center.

While I can't say I feel the full impact as many of my African-American friends or students, I'm utterly shocked and ashamed that some people find it funny to evoke past messages of hate and spread fear amongst the "civil" and "modern" world. I believe my friend will be starting a protest, and if so, I'm willing to participate in it!!!

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by skyblueff0

This is really sad, it goes to show you how much growing up and healing this country still needs.

One thing that I don't understand is that some people call this type of acts pranks or jokes, but I like that in the article you posted they call it for what it is, a hate crime. Hopefully the perpetrator(s) are found and punish.

new topics

top topics

join