It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Air_ray - Remote Controlled Helium Filled Wing Flapping Manta Ray

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Festo has created the most unique flying machine ever. A helium filled craft that swims through the air like a Manta Ray swims through the water. Must see video.

Source

Air_ray, modelled on the manta ray, is a remote-controlled hybrid construction consisting of a helium-filled ballonet and a beating wing drive. Its light design makes it possible for it to “swim” in the sea of air, boosted by helium, in a similar way to the manta ray in water.

Propulsion is achieved by a beating wing drive. The servo drive-controlled wing, which can move up and down, utilises the Fin Ray Effect® and is based on alternate pulling and pushing flanks connected via frames. When pressure is exerted on one flank, the geometrical structure curves automatically against the direction of the influencing force. A servo drive pulls the two flanks alternately in the longitudinal direction, thus moving the wing up and down.

Animation: Air_ray

Film: Air_ray

What took them so long? I wanted one of these a long time ago when I was a kid.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by Malichai]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Wow! That is cool. I want one too! Once these are available, UFO reports are going to skyrocket!

I think they'll have to develop a more resiliant skin for the craft though, the mylar looks like it couldn't last for long with the wings flapping.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by Makuahine]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Have a look at this thread and see if the Manta Ray balloon is a possible explanation.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Malichai

Hi Malichai, sorry but there is already a thread here on this subject. Please direct any discussion to it. Afterall we dont want to be anymore confused than most of us allready are

The thread is here if you would care to take a look. Thanks for the interest anyway, look forward to more contributions.

LEE.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
As mentioned, there is an existing thread on this topic.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you.

-closed-

new topics

top topics

join