It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Genome Race Complete

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Craig Venter. Published today. Shotgun sequencing wins. The story: "Diploid Genome from One Individual Sequenced". One complete human decoded... 6 or 7 billion to go.

Vic

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
this is incredible news because once he shows people his documentation and research, i'm sure someone will try to streamline it and perfect it

before you know it, we all will have our DNA completely mapped out and that's where the REAL fun begins as far as curing diseases and immoratlity

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
It's a good start but as stated "6 or 7 billion to go"... The problem isn't mapping the Genome, it's figuring out what it all means. The amount of data collected in the various databases around the world would take many years (lifetimes) to decode. Humans have a difficult enough time figuring out where the cables go to get surround sound working... As I said, good start and we'll leave it at that.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
We need gills. I order to put em on we need to make the gills compatible. To make us humans upgradeable.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

“With this publication, we have shown that human-to-human variation is more than seven-fold greater than earlier estimates, proving that we are in fact very unique individuals at the genetic level,”

From OP link

See... just because they have Sequenced a diploid genome from one individual, doesnt mean the Human genome race is complete at all!

Building on reanalyzed data from Dr. Venter’s genome that constituted 60% of the previously published Celera genome, the team produced additional data making the final 32 million sequences. They used whole genome shotgun sequencing and long reads from Sanger dideoxy automated DNA sequencing.

Its not like they managed to find and map everything, they produced sequenced data, from combining existing knowledge with new data.

But very interesting indeed! and a step closer.

new topics

top topics

join