It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

an MP5 and a drone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
can a MP5 shootdown a unmanedd survalance drone
if its within range?

and what rounds would it require?

not that i am going out on a shooting spree

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Thats a bit of a random question? But Yes, I should think so

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarity
Thats a bit of a random question? But Yes, I should think so

well it was a random question on another forum
and i said it could be done

what better place to verify this then here

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The drone would have to be within 100m (preferably 50m), be traveling pretty slowly and the firer would have to loose off a full mag in a one-er on automatic to ensure that a vital part was hit.

So I suppose the answer is yes, if you had a very lucky day. Wouldn't fancy my chances though.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Wouldn't even try testing it against a Predator drone armed with Hellfire missiles. Ain't worth the effort.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
The drone would have to be within 100m (preferably 50m), be traveling pretty slowly and the firer would have to loose off a full mag in a one-er on automatic to ensure that a vital part was hit.

So I suppose the answer is yes, if you had a very lucky day. Wouldn't fancy my chances though.

thats what i said, except in a shorter
i said full spread and full mag within range of the gun

Originally posted by deltaboy
Wouldn't even try testing it against a Predator drone armed with Hellfire missiles. Ain't worth the effort.

i wouldnt be dead caught near one

i would link the topic but its against ATS rules

its a normal drone for police survalance during sporting events and things like that.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
what cal are those MP5 bullets ?

Are they 5.56 or 9mm think there 9mm in that case i am unshure if it would be able to take it out ?

Maybe it would but the one shooting would need to be a marksman.

Regard's
Lee

[edit on 4-9-2007 by h3akalee]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
As someone that has actually fired the MP5, no.

An MP5 is available in either 9mm 40cal or 45 cal ammunition variants.
A 45 cal version is called the UMP. Go to the H&K website for tech. data.

Let me give you an analogy - have you ever played a video game and got stuck on a boss or area, played it (literally) 50+ times, screamed in frustration and left it alone for a few days? thats how you'd feel trying to shoot a drone down bro.

Technically its possible, but good F* luck.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Well, from the sounds of it, this'd be one of those lame little blimps that floats around a stadium.

Hell, a proper laser-pointer could probably pop one of 'em, let alone a gun.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well, is it an automatic or semi-automatic MP5?

They don't have a lot of range, especially depending on the model of the MP5 you're shooting. For instance, an MP5K has more range and stopping power than say the MP5SD5.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I kind of depends about the drones skin material. 9mm Para from the MP5 barrel reaches about the same power as .357mag from a pistol barrel.

As for hitting, best bet is semi auto shots fired from supported position. Normal RC plane will go down with 2-3 good shots.

But hitting one going sideways at 100m is nearly impossible, we tried that during my service (with 7.62 RK-95)

Btw MP-5K is the compact variant, with lowest muzzle velocity...

[edit on 5-9-2007 by northwolf]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Hehehe,northwolf..thats a remarkable hobby you got there dude.

"As for hitting, best bet is semi auto shots fired from supported position. Normal RC plane will go down with 2-3 good shots. "

Lmao!

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Umm, this discussion is a bit pointless. One could "shoot down" an airliner with an MP5, if you only hammer away at it for long enough (preferably standing on one of the wings
). Its just unpractical. Likewise, you COULD shoot down a micro glider drone traveling at slow speeds with just one shot.

There are two variables at work, the first one being "CAN I HIT IT"?. That depends on the external ballistics of the bullet, the quality of the shooter, and the angle, distance and relative speed of said drone. For the question it is btw. irrelevant whether automatic or semiautomic fire is used.

Only if the first variable is "yes", then comes the second: "CAN I HURT IT"? That depends on the structural integrity of the drone, on the penetratability of its outer hull, the sensibility of its inner parts and also on the type of bullet used.

So, in short there is only one answer: "Yes, but...". given the right circumstances, a MP5 can shoot down a drone - whether these circumstances have a realistic chance of coming together is another discussion. Just like, in certain circumstances, a Ford F150 can be a good vehicle. It is however just not a general rule.

Originally posted by patriot13
An MP5 is available in either 9mm 40cal or 45 cal ammunition variants.
A 45 cal version is called the UMP.

No. The UMP is an entirely different weapon. The MP5 itself is only aailable in 9mm Luger. It WAS available, for a short period of time, in .40 and 10mm calibers.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
i wouldn't want to try it with mp5 unless its that strofoam one used by marines its like a slight ly larger styrofoam glider you used to find in hobby shop. now if you wanna shoot down a more sophisticated drone i would recommend a 308 or larger caliber and a good scope at minimal.
a 50 cal like a barrett light 50 would be preferable.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
i wouldn't want to try it with mp5 unless its that strofoam one used by marines its like a slight ly larger styrofoam glider you used to find in hobby shop. now if you wanna shoot down a more sophisticated drone i would recommend a 308 or larger caliber and a good scope at minimal.
a 50 cal like a barrett light 50 would be preferable.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by northwolf

We use UAVs for air defence training too, but we use it to simulate actual aircraft. The slow speed of the UAV is made up for by its' small size which makes it remarkably difficult to hit. The most effective method we found was to drop down on 1 knee, weapon on automatic, resting on hip. You then give it the full mag in one burst. Machine guns should give it about 50rds. Get a whole platoon/section on this and you may have a chance of hitting with a couple of shots.

For a real fixed wing aircraft, you have to aim at least 100m in front of it and try to create a saturated area of sky for a few seconds. For a UAV at range, aim about 20m in front (if crossing your front). Hitting with single shots can be done, but takes a lot of practice which we don't get at the minute. UAVs are not the hardest targets in the world though. One of our snipers had a party trick of dropping one from 800m with a L96.

BTW, the MP5SDs' muzzle velocity is much lower than the MP5Ks' as it reduces the 9mm bullet to well below sub-sonic. The 9mm from the Kurtz is still super-sonic at the muzzle. Therefore the SD has a lower effective range.

Paddy

[edit on 5-9-2007 by PaddyInf]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Paddy;

Full auto may work with 5.56, but with 7.62x39 it's pretty much waste of ammo. Only weapon that actually consitently hit the target was a 12.7 NSVT with AA optics mounted on a vehicle cradle.

As for the MP-5s i tought that SDs suppressors only worked well with subsonic rounds, i didn't that they were good enough to suppress even norman velocity rounds.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Well, a UMP loaded with .45 ACP hollowpoints or steel-core rounds might have a chance, it's not likely that you'll have a chance to try. And if you do, you had best go to Mexico!

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
yes a unarmed air drone can be shoot down buy a MP5 SMG, but their are factures in it like is the drone in range?, how thick the armor is?, and if you are trying to shoot it down on the first pass or are you going to wait for it to make another pass, so in all i know that you can take one down just you cant do it on its first pass.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Paddy;

Full auto may work with 5.56, but with 7.62x39 it's pretty much waste of ammo. Only weapon that actually consitently hit the target was a 12.7 NSVT with AA optics mounted on a vehicle cradle.

I'll take your word for it mate. I can tell you though that this has been the main method for infantry AA fire in the British Army for 50 odd years. I can only think of one instance that it actually worked though, and that was with an Argie Pucura in the Falklands. I think that a whole company of Paras opened up with SLRs and GPMGs, and actually dropped one of the jets.

As for the MP-5s i tought that SDs suppressors only worked well with subsonic rounds, i didn't that they were good enough to suppress even norman velocity rounds.

The SD was designed to be used with standard service ammo. The baffles are designed so that they drop the muzzle velocity to sub-sonic speeds. I know for a fact that this is the case with British 9mm ammo, and this tends to run a bit hotter than most commercial loadings. However if you slap the majority of after market cans on the end of a standard MP5, they will not reduce velocity enough so you will still have the super-sonic crack.

new topics

top topics

join