It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did a star go nova tonight?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks
A gamma ray burst maybe?

I checked Swift's website, it says the last GRB detected was on August 10th. So that makes the possibility of this event being a GRB afterglow unlikely. I'm still searching for answers, but most of the probable possibilities seem to have been exhausted

Swift's Lastest Gamma Ray Burst Detections

Edit: Funny how the European counterpart to Swift is hardly mentioned in the news. Hell, I only found out about INTEGRAL today.

Here's the site, though I'm having trouble looking for the GRB index. Maybe that's why they don't mention it in the news...

INTErnational Gamma-Ray Astrophysics Laboratory

[edit on 5-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Maybe what you seen was this:

'Space fireworks' were successfully released by researchers at the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) on Sunday. The three one-and-a-half minute bursts were visible from most of western Japan including Tokyo.

The fireworks-like display was created by a timed release of lithium vapor from a rocket launched from the JAXA Uchinoura Space Center in southern Kyushu. The first release occurred at 7:26 pm at a height of 250 kilometers. The second was made at 200 kilometers and the final release at 150 kilometers. The rocket fell into the Pacific about 500 kilometers south of Wakayama prefecture. (See a diagram of the space fireworks rocket trajectory.)

www.space.com...

Not too sure if that was it or not.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Not possible. The news report says the fireworks were on Sunday, 7:26 pm in Japan meaning it would be Sunday, 03:26 am in Central CA.

Rats, I'm stumped.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
reply to post by Equinox99

Not possible. The news report says the fireworks were on Sunday, 7:26 pm in Japan meaning it would be Sunday, 03:26 am in Central CA.

Rats, I'm stumped.

Again, noone wants to look into my theory of it being HAARP? You guys skipped over it and didn't look into it at all. They have been testing it at high power for months now.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

Well, frankly I don't know enough about HAARP to make an educated guess. But if it could manifest itself as a flash in the sky, the position would seem to fit, it being in the north and all..

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   
yea i too do not know much of this haarp you speak of but like dude said if it makes lights like what we saw then it sounds like the most likley answer to me.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
I know this is out there, but some experts at the latest Bay area conference have related they are seeing an all out war up there including lasers of late. Sounds like something got smoked. IMHO. Iridium flares are not static.

Some of these people watch way to much science fiction.

Think about this....as far as we know the solar system is infinite.

Why would they fight over the earth? Wouldn't reports be seen world wide, not just in the bay area. Some people see what they want to see, this is just obserd.

We don't have aliens fighting above us, if they are here, and I think they are, they aren't having an all our war here. There is no telling how far away from home they actually are.

Its just an insane comment, but some thought into it. I normally never bash what people think, but I just think that is insane.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Now curiously, I went into the garden around 11PM last night for a pee.
Whilst doing the deed I was staring up at a beautifull starry sky then..........zap! a pinpointed flash in the Southern sky, lasted only a second or two but just long enough for my eyes to swing to it.

Curious

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Chorlton

You pee in your garden? What happened the the throne?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
reply to post by Chorlton

You pee in your garden? What happened the the throne?

Yep I do. I see it as a waste to use 3 or 4 gallons of water to flush away half a litre of pee. I also put my pee into one of my 3 compost heaps, which was what I was doing last night.
I can send you some if you wish ?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Thanks, but I think I'll pass.

Anyway back on topic, did you check with heavens-above to see if what you saw was a satellite flare or not? At least we would've solved one mysterious flash in the sky...

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

No the Iridium flare was an hour and a half earlier
Probably just a meteor

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
okay i have been doing alot of reading tryina figure out what haarp is....and i must say that is probally the tech thats gonna be the downfall of mankind if its not nukes....but neways im thinken that this light thats was seen could very well have been some sort of haarp activity....im hoping not because it makes me completly uncomfortable to know that its visable when they use it.....but none the less i belive that to be what we saw....but with no certinty im still open if anyboyd has any other explanations.......because imma be up all night twitchen over this haarp ish...bad mojo to play with foreal....man humans are bout stupid sometimes....

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by future flow

From what I have read I dont think its HAARP, for a couple of reasons.
1) HAARP broadcasts its signal straight up it cannot bee aimed or directed.
The HAARP site is many hundred miles west, the flare came from the wrong direction.
2) HAARP's signal is not that strong , only a few milliwatts/ per square meter at the focus point. The whole system is powered by a single diesel generator.
When I first read about the experiment that was to become HAARP, almost 25 years ago, it was rumored that it was a project to control weather at a tactical battlefield level, by localized heating of the ionosphere.
Remember that huge unseasonal sandstorm that blew up in Iraq at just the right time, during the first couple of weeks of the second Iraq campaing. Although we had the ablility to see through the storm it had a tremendous effect on stalling Iraqi forces. Was this our first foray into tactical battlefield weather managment.

After looking at the swift website, gamma ray bursts are very common, every few days there is one recorded.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Could have been (a GRB), I am not sure if the energy falls into the visible spectrum, but I am sure it very well could, can't rule that out.

Could it have been reflections of the sun reflecting off of a geostationary satellite? We'll have to see if there are any in that part of the sky.

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Quasar]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
punkinworks, I think your theory about it being a GRB afterglow might be correct. Looking at the Swift Trigger and Burst REAL-TIME Information page, you can see that there was a lot of activity that day. But then the coordinates do not match the area circled, unless I'm translating that table wrong.

On the other hand, according to the Gamma-ray Burst Real-time Sky Map page, there was a burst at around those coordinates about two months back. In fact it seems like a perfect match to me.

Now, according to what I've read on Wikipedia, the afterglow can last for months, and is not really dependent on the main event:

Wikipedia:Gamma ray burst - Afterglows and external shocks

The GRB itself is very rapid, lasting from less than a second up to a few minutes at most. Once it disappears, it leaves behind a counterpart at longer wavelengths (X-ray, UV, optical, infrared, and radio) known as the afterglow[35], that generally remains detectable for days or longer.

In contrast to the GRB emission, the afterglow emission is not believed to be dominated by internal shocks. In general, all the ejected matter has by this time coalesced into a single shell traveling outward into the interstellar medium (or possibly the stellar wind) around the star. At the front of this shell of matter is a shock wave referred to as the "external shock" [36] as the still relativistically-moving matter ploughs into the tenuous interstellar gas or the gas surrounding the star.

As the interstellar matter moves across the shock, it is immediately heated to extreme temperatures.
[...]

(Emphasis mine)

So, if that entry is to be trusted, then perhaps it was an afterglow from GRB 070704A, generated from the external shock as it travels out into the interstellar medium.

Again, this is just a theory, but it seems to fit. At least it does to me.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks
Was this our first foray into tactical battlefield weather managment.

Actually, i believe our first attempt at manipulating the weather on the battlefield took place throughout the Vietnam War, causing torrential downpour that not only made it difficult for the vietnamese, but also for the US Soldiers.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cyfre

Dude, Vietnam is a tropical rainforest, same as where I live, Malaysia. I have lived here practically all my life and I still get surprised by how heavy the torrents are.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

ahh thanks for point those things out my friend. in all fairness im in duluth,mn area so from my point of view the haarp area would have been a reasonable assumtion based on location of were i saw the source of light.... but im not to knowledgable about things like that so reading about the program may have caused me to jump to conclusions....still think the thing is pure evil though and tried to goggle earth it and they have it completely blacked out..wich is something ive not seen before..neways again dont know anything about grb's but if what i stated seeing falls into that category then id say that sounds reasonable...still not sure if thats hitten the nail on the head yet but seems to be the most likley so far.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

true as it may be that its a tropical rainforest..that doesnt mean the us wouldnt and didnt attempt to alter it....and i may be ill informed on the subject but i thought it was comon knowledge and fact that the us "seeded" clouds during that campaign.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join