It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think about sacred amulets?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Thailand's frenzy for amulets

Veteran Buddhist scholar Sulak Sivaraksa is disgusted by what he sees as a perversion of the teachings of the Buddha.

"They've lost their way", he said. "Monks are supposed to renounce money. The teachings of the Buddha have been killed by the demonic religion of consumerism."

Found this on amulets in Thailand. I know it's a big thing, I live there.

Though I do consider my belief Buddhistic, I see this frenzy as superstition, nothing that belongs to true Buddhism. Generally I find Theravada Buddhism rather corrupted.

What they call Buddhism in Thailand is a mere mix of a pagan belief in spirits with the deities of Bramanism mixed in. Shiva and Krishna are just as popular as Buddha and Pidkini (Ganesh) are.

I together with millions of other Westerns, see Buddhism as a sicientific method to self-realization. Unnessecary to state in a forum like this, that Buddhism is a atheist belief system, nontheless a fact that at best a tiny minority of the worshippers in Thailand are aware about.

How came it to be that so much superstition, so much black magic and so much believe in supernatural beings, got entangled in "The Teaching of the Elders" as they call Theravada Buddhism?

Beside superstition, greed and corruption seems to go along with their religious practice.

About the amulets, rare and sought after ones can reach prizes beyond 1 mill Bhat (30.000 US $) - for a decorated clay tablet, or piece of allergic alloy to wear next to your skin.

Do you think such charms can have any protective or spiritual value?

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
The placebo effect can be powerful. I don't concern myself with mystical trinkets.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I agree. It is our BELIEF in something that makes it so. At least as far as I've experienced and observed so far.

Fear creates danger.
Courage dispels it.

If amulets create courage in the wearer's psyche, then they would ward off danger.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
If amulets create courage in the wearer's psyche, then they would ward off danger.

Thanks for you reply Annie.

Yes, but the problem is they don't guard against the dangers of the real world.

Take their driving (most reckless) for instance. They all have their buddhas and mandalas and holy knick-knack trinkets on the dashbord in their cars, because they belive it protects them against death on the road.

However, Thailand has one of the worst records with 3 killed every hour.

The problem is thay have incorporated the foregiveness of Christianity in their current faith, misunderstanding the idea completely.

ANY faith demands responsibility. THAT's where they go wrong.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
Take their driving (most reckless) for instance. They all have their buddhas and mandalas and holy knick-knack trinkets on the dashboard in their cars, because they believe it protects them against death on the road.

eWell, many Catholics (at least in my part of the world) do basically the same thing.

There is no way that any of us is going to avoid physical death. As soon as we are born, we are doomed to die. And when it is time to depart, it is time to go.

BUT in the interim, what is the greatest fear of most people? Especially those who seek comfort in various religions?

DEATH. The Unknown of After-Death.

If they have comfort of any kind from that fear, then the world is a better place for all of us. Because the opposite of love is not hate, but fear. It is fear of losing that causes self-orientation/selfishness.

If the accident/mortality rate is so high in regard to motor-vehicles, then obviously there is need for a spiritual compensation until the situation improves. And I would venture to say that it is a problem originating on the next level above the average citizen; i.e. the local/national administration/government. If that be so, then they (the citizens) are somewhat powerless on the tangible level.

The problem is they have incorporated the forgiveness of Christianity in their current faith, misunderstanding the idea completely.

Doesn't forgiveness benefit ALL people? Regardless of what they call God? Buddhism teaches forgiveness just the same as most religions. It is not an idea exclusive to one particular religion.

And aren't Christ's teachings equally applicable for all people?

Love your neighbor.
Judge not.
Feed the hungry.
Be honest and not hypocritical.
FEAR not.

Jesus came for us ALL. To save the WORLD; not just part of it.

ANY faith demands responsibility. THAT's where they go wrong.

Being a human demands responsibility. And who are any of us to say that another is going 'wrong?' God is no respecter of persons!

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
BUT in the interim, what is the greatest fear of most people? Especially those who seek comfort in various religions?

DEATH. The Unknown of After-Death.

Fear is a man's best friend. It gives him the excuse to corrupt his worshipping. No matter the true spirit of any religion, it's always orchestrated by the the power holders - to serve their agenda. Whatever it might be. In this country it is definately not the well being of the People, but to enrich themselves (those in charge).

Doesn't forgiveness benefit ALL people? Regardless of what they call God?

I was more thinking of the Christian way of turning the other cheek to. It is rather unique (but little practised).

The problem with religions generally - and Theravada Buddhism in particular - that their prescripts are adhered mainly for selfish purposes, is a fact that comes handy for both pedophile priests and monks engaged in sexual activities or drug dealing. Only human decency can guard against such behaviors. The very idea of any religion is to control human behavior, because selfrestrain is one of the weaker sides of human nature.

Unfortunately those prescriptions are all too often used to excuse personal behavior.

I've known Buddhism for more than 40 years, but only experienced it in practise on a nationwide scale for less than 10. And it has been chocking, because I see it as one of the "highest" forms of religion and I am a great fan of it.

I realize now that I'm more the furious Jesus than the calm Buddha. My Christian upbringing doesn't fail me.

Being a human demands responsibility.

That's exactly why I sometimes think some people ain't human at all.
-------

The paradox with religions are they've been created so Man can conduct his life with Peace -peace in the valley-peace of mind- but the problem with most of them, they have gladly lended their name to blody warfare, at times initiated them in the name of religion.

Most times their name have been misused, I know that... like in the ongoing war in Iraq.

That Buddhism -as far as I know- never had lended its name to war, doesn't necessary mean the devotees are more peaceful than others.

Last year was an episode in Bangkok where a madman went beserk and smashed a holy site, an alter in a street, with the result (tho 1 o'clock in the night) that five minuttes later the crowd had killed him.

Should be unheard of in any religion - most of all in Buddhism.

For some things there are no foregiveness, and most what meets the eye is only shine.

---------
EDIT spelling

[edit on 5-9-2007 by khunmoon]

top topics

join