It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How medication screwed up my life.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
what i am getting at is how do you know you were midiagnosed?

you've been to several docs but what i would like to know is did you take the meds properly?

also, talk therapy is a big part of these problems that many patients, myself included refuse to take part in...

just saying....medicine is not exact....i have been dealing with chronic isues for 11 years(not mental...mental but not for 11 years) and it is still not worked out.....
you do th ebest you can...YOU decide....go to the doc, get the script...take it to the letter. give it a fair shake...don't stop taking it cuase 3 days in you have the squirts...see what i mean....

dude, i write notes and leave voice memo's and things like that so when i go to the talk i can tell her what is going on to make sure i don't forget.....

in the end, meds might not be right for YOU...they are right for me though...thats for sure

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

I know that the diagnosis was incorrect because I have periods in my life where I display these conditions because I am extremely sad and angry and I don't know what to do with myself. Typically, when I am angry and upset, doctors want that changed, and they want to medicate me, so that I get medicated and calmed down. That's what I have typically experienced.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I agree that not all medications are useful for all...

However, I am supposing that much of the opposition to medications have a limited scope of view. Mostly personal experience I suppose.

You probably have not met a 300lb, ex-cagefighter with involuntary aggressive tendencies while not on their medication.

And you would not want too...that's why meds exist.

Their are extreme cases that require medication to function within acceptable society.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
An experienced and well-seasoned pharmacist can oftentimes better diagnose problems and meds for those problems. Docs probably should be required to be pharmacists, as well as doctors.

For example, before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I had horrific diabetic neuropathy. When I explained the symptoms to the doctor, she thought I was suffering with a somatic disorder, and prescribed me anti-depressants. I went home, looked it up on the web to see what it was - you know, is it a dopamine or what.... Turns out the company that made it, falsely advertised it and sold it to doctors as an anti-depressant, and it was apparently causing severe problems in several people who were prescribed it. There was a class action lawsuit against the company. Some guy who's wife was normally happy go-lucky, lost a family member and was grieving and complaining of pain. So the doc prescribed her this drug, supposedly for depression that was assumed to be a somatic disorder. within 24 hours, she was despondant. and the next day, she committed suicide. This happened again and again with normally happy, temporarily grieving/sad people, and STILL the doc thought I should take it. She didn't know I had diabetes, you see. Had I taken it, who knows what reaction my body would've had.

So yeah, doctors need to be pharmacists too, I think.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

Originally posted by uberarcanist
reply to post by Maverickhunter

people bash these drugs a lot and some of it is deserved but these drugs help a lot of people. a lot of people that have issues with them do nto take them properly.

Seems to me that the patients that are "cured" are possibly just put into a state that others believe they should be in.

In my life I have met many people who clearly would have been diagnosed with ADD and such if that would have been the rage 20-30 years ago. Allwere kicked out of schoolsmultiple times. Most of these people have turned out to be successful professionals providing a positive contribution to society. Had they been put on Ritalin or the such as children, I seriously doubt they would ended up as well off or with such dynamic personalitie.

I think the Goverment and Education system have simply taken the easy way out. This thread has made me consider opening a drug free school for ADD diagnosed children. Something to ponder.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

The thing is that your example is for a person that was correctly diagnosed with their problems. His aggressive attitude might be part of his personality. Hey, at one point I was kicking and screaming and saying completely random things, but that wasn't because I am agressive when I am off the medecine, it's because I didn't know what to do with myself and I had no social interaction, so and no one cared about me because they didn't think that I could help myself. When I said that I had problems with other people they thought I was having problems with other problems with other people because of a "disability". Last year, the more I talked to other people, the more they thought I had asbergers disorder.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter
reply to post by undo

The thing is that your example is for a person that was correctly diagnosed with their problems. His aggressive attitude might be part of his personality. Hey, at one point I was kicking and screaming and saying completely random things, but that wasn't because I am agressive when I am off the medecine, it's because I didn't know what to do with myself and I had no social interaction, so and no one cared about me because they didn't think that I could help myself. When I said that I had problems with other people they thought I was having problems with other problems with other people because of a "disability". Last year, the more I talked to other people, the more they thought I had asbergers disorder.

Erm you probably addressed this to the wrong person. My post was about people being put on meds for somatic disorders, when they were just grieving, diabetic or sad for another reason, temporarily, and were manifesting other symptoms that were probably stress-related or diet-related - like getting headaches from worry/stress or neuropathy from elevated blood sugar levels. People with peripheral neuropathy are diagnosed with all sorts of things.

The point was, that drugs are frequently given for disorders that are themselves, misdiagonsed by pharmaceutical companies, who then sell their drugs usage to doctors for use on their patients. A pharmacist, will, believe it or not, be better equipped to determine the validity of a medicine for any given symptom, as they have no personal stock in one drug over another, and have to know almost as much as a doctor anyway.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
if you are in need of psychiatric medications,you will know it.there will be no doubt.my anxiety disorder became so intense that i was in a constant state of panic with severe panic attacks daily.furthermore,i became completely incapable of relaxing on my own thus making me unable to sleep.period.i needed a tranquilizer to knock me out and that is the only way i could sleep.now,after taking prozac and klonopin faithfully for 3 years,i just take a half of a half miligram klonopin tablet to help me sleep.moreover,since there isnt the stress of working,the illness has become tolerable.stress exacerbates the illness to a high extreme.at this point,after years of medication,its much like an athelete who cant perform under pressure.im ok in my comfort zone(in my brother's apt who has been supporting me while i wait on ss disability hearing) but become dysfunctional under any kind of stress or pressure.to summarize,if you really need anti-deps and/or tranqs,youll know it.otherwise i woudnt take them.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
So when kids take heart attacks and drop dead at 12 it just coincidence that they were taking Adderal XR, like Matthew Smith or Ann Hohman's kid.
When my son developed tachycardia and the doctor took him off the meds, why was that?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Nine percent of all American children, mostly boys are labeled with the "mental disorder" ADHD which is often diagnosed solely on a checklist of behaviors. There are no brain scans, x-rays, genetic or blood tests that can prove they actually have this disorder, Yet these children, are prescribed psychiatric drugs that increase heart beat, blood pressure and interfere with sleep and nutrition.
Chinese children continue to have better control of their behavior and outperform American children in school, yet Chinese children do not take Psychotropic medications like Adderall.

I wanted to believe what the doctors told me even though I was against medicating my son. It was not until my youngest son Nicholas was placed on this medication and I saw the side effects, which his pediatrician called "normal" that I realized that something was terribly wrong. I took him to another doctor and he was diagnosed with tachycardia. After coming off the drug, Nicholas made the honor role and at parents night when I asked if my son had any attention problems, his teachers told me that he was a hard working well focus student who was a delight to have in class. After taking the medication he is now under doctors orders cannot play sports as because of heat damage done by the medication. Ann Hohmann's son Matthew was not so fortunate. He dropped dead on the bathroom floor, after being on Adderall XR 20 mg for 29 doses. His mother appeared on Good Morning America to tell what happened to her son.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join