It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breast cancer 'linked to use of deodorants'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Breast cancer 'linked to use of deodorants'

www.telegraph.co.uk

British scientists found high levels of aluminium in breast tissue taken from breast cancer patients who had undergone mastectomies.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
So deodorants could be linked to breast cancer, i have always thought that unatural ways of keeping clean may notbe too good for you.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This idea has been going around for a long time. I stopped using antiperspirants years ago for this very reason. You can buy organic deodorants that work great (and smell wonderful) with no aluminium in them.

apc

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I also stopped using antiperspirants when I decided to look into how they work. Aluminum to close your sweat glands. Considering a significant amount of waste is released through sweat, it seems like a good idea to not impede that release.

In women it makes sense that stopping the release of toxins through the underarms on a daily basis could cause problems in the breasts. It's a lymphatic straight shot.

There's plenty of strictly deodorant products available. It would be a good idea to use antiperspirant only on days when one knows they will really need it.

[edit on 3-9-2007 by apc]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
I also stopped using antiperspirants when I decided to look into how they work. Aluminum to close your sweat glands. Considering a significant amount of waste is released through sweat, it seems like a good idea to not impede that release.

Same here.

Anti-persperants appeal to women and girlie-men.

Actually, no one should use them.

They also stain your clothes.

It should also be noted that there is no definitive link between aluminum and breast cancer established by this or any other study.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   
If I was playing a twelve-pound electric bass under hot lights I should certainly consider an antiperspirant. As it happens, last night at rehearsal the other guitar player in my band obviously hadn't 'rolled on', and boy could you smell him. Not a nice thing to do to your bandmates.

Considering a significant amount of waste is released through sweat, it seems like a good idea to not impede that release.

You've got your whole body to sweat from. You're not going to choke on toxic waste because you bunged up a few holes in your armpits.

And Grady, it's been a few years now since Jim Young wrote that Odorno ad. You remember the one, it started 'Within the curve of a woman's arm...'

You are, of course, right in saying that the study covered in the Telegraph article proves nothing.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by Astyanax]

apc

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Choke on toxic waste? No... but think about it.

Apocrine glands, the glands that produce a protein rich mix that bacteria love, are located primarily in the armpits and groin. It's why the armpits and groin produce an odor and the rest of the body, for the most part, does not. The rest of the body is covered in eccrine glands.

The first stop for lymphatic fluid as it leaves the breast is the armpits. The lymph nodes in the armpits are one of the first places breast cancer commonly spreads to. If the armpit offramp is closed, the waste has to keep going to be released elsewhere. It seems reasonable that this could create a lymphatic traffic jam during periods where a high level of waste is being produced.

Most researchers tend to conclude there is no link as lymphatic fluid flows from the breasts to the armpits, not from the armpits to the breasts, and dismiss the correlation. I contend they are looking at it backwards.

However, I am not convinced that antiperspirants outright cause breast cancer. I believe bras are more likely to blame. They reduce natural lymphatic flushing caused by movement so toxins don't even have a chance to not be released by antiperspirant coated armpits.

Regardless simply closing off that first point of waste release every single day just seems like a really bad idea. What other points of waste release can be shut down without suffering negative consequences?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Also, I'm not suggesting not using a deodorant. I use one everyday. It doesn't keep me from sweating, but it does prevent offensive odor.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Locals in Malaysia have been using a certain mineral crystal known locally as tawas for centuries, apparently without any side-effects. I did some research and found out it's actually a crystal of something called "Potassium Sulfate 12-Hydrate". Oxford University says it's safe:

Safety data for aluminium potassium sulfate, 12-hydrate

Here's a Wikipedia link for the crystal:

Potassium Alum

And here is a website selling these crystals:

www.tawascrystal.com...

I can't find a nice picture of the crystal, but it's really quite plain. It looks like a huge chunk of rock salt actually, clear, colourless and odourless.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I'm not surprised.

We're guinea pigs, folks. All this "good for you" stuff -- we have no clue what the long-term effects are!!

The amount of metals in deodorant/antiperspirants is mind-boggling. Can't possibly be good for us...

...and women are (socially supposed to) shave -- open wounds for all that crap to go straight into our systems!!!!

Next question: What's in our toothpaste? (There's a warning label that says it's not supposed to be swallowed -- and we put it in our mouths?!)

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Wouldn't you think if this is true it would be as common in men as it is women?

I have wondered about deodorants, but then I also wonder about birth control pills playing a role

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Oh god thats no good...
Where can one find organic deodorant (like a previous poster said)? I hate being sweaty and smelly...I thought deodorant was a man made god send, but I guess its nothing but bad news, almost like everything else thats man made. Hmm...

apc

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Wouldn't you think if this is true it would be as common in men as it is women?

Men don't have anywhere near as much bewb tissue. Most men anyway...

reply to post by Chiiru

You don't have to go with deodorant made from hemp or anything. Just look for products that don't have aluminum.

join