It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rankings, Rules, Bill of Rights, and Open Challenges (revised 10/27/10)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 04:50 AM
link   
*This is the latest revision of both the rules and rankings for the ATS Debate Forum. It includes the workings of the ranking system, A new Fighters' Bill of Rights, and current rankings of active fighters.

**All rules and rankings are subject to change without notice, at the discretion of the debate staff.

The ranking system exists for seeding of tournaments, to encourage challenge matches and to facilitate non-tournament title bouts.
Here's how it works:

Ranking points
A debater may be awarded rank points based on debates predating the ranking system as follows: 2 points per round of tournament participation, 2 additional points for winning a tournament, 1 point for challenge match participation, 1 point for challenge match wins.

Point awards for tournaments and events held under this system will vary to prevent a fixed status quo. In a tie, both fighters recieve the full award.

Free points are not awarded for challenge matches, but points may be wagered. The current minimum wager is 2 points. Fighters ranked at zero recieve two free points to wager, which are "repaid" in the event of victory.

Tournaments
Tournaments will be seeded by ranking, pairing the highest ranked debaters against the lowest. Tournaments may be open or restricted to a rank range. Tournaments may be for the championship or not. Championship tournaments may be held without the participation of the current champion, but champions shall not be forcibly excluded except in case of misconduct.

Challenges
Any member may challenge any other member, fighter or not. Challenges may be directed or open, and may be arranged independently or with staff assistance. Special terms and topics for challenge matches may be established by mutual agreement. Challenges may be declined for any reason, except for title bout challenges. A title bout challenge may be issued to the champion by an equal or higher ranked fighter, and MUST be accepted within 90 days except in case of extreme hardship, or the championship is vacated, pending a championship tournament.

Fighters' Bill of Rights
Fighters may, without penalty or dishonor, refuse to argue any that position which constitutes:
(1) A religious offense.
(2) A violation of any law or regulation to which fighter is subject.
(3) A source of emotional trauma to the fighter. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, any debate regarding any type of abuse, adversity, hardship, or disability which has affected the fighter, a fighter's loved ones, or any group/demographic to which the fighter or the fighter's loved ones belong.

No fighter shall lose ranking points as the result of a hardship such as illness or death in the family, natural disaster, etc.

The debate forum staff reserves the right to determine the legitimacy of claims made under this bill of rights, subject to the review of ATS Management.

The current rankings

Name..................Points.........Record.....Streak
Intrepid___________30______________10-4________0__ *former champ*
Semperfortis__________26______________12-6-2_____2__ *former champ*
MemoryShock___________24_____________12-7_______0__
The Vagabond_________24_____________8-3-2______3__ *former champ*
chissler_________________19______________6-4-1______3__
TruthWithin_____________18______________7-3________2__
schrodingers dog______16____________9-3________6__*Champion*
Ian McLean____________16_____________7-3________0__ *former champ*
Skyfloating______________16_____________10-11______0__
americandingbat___________15_____________8-1________0__
Maxmars_____________14____________7-2________0__*former champ*
Loki____________________13_____________7-1________1__
GAOTU789______________11_____________3-2________0__
WyrdeOne_____________10____________4-0________4__ *former champ*
Argos__________________10_______________3-0________3__
souls__________________9_________________5-3________0__
Rdube02________________8_______________4-1________0__
TLomon_________________8______________3-2________0__
44soulslayer_____________6_______________4-1________0__
Animal_________________6_______________2-1________0__
Tuning Spork_____________6________________2-2________0__
Kenshiro2012____________6________________2-3________0__
OzWeatherman___________6_________________3-2________0__
Esdad71________________6_______________2-1________0__
Bigdanprice______________6________________1-2________0__
Simulacra_______________6________________1-2________0__
TheMythLives____________6_______________3-2________2__
whatukno_______________6_______________4-5________0__
Illusionsaregrander_________5_______________1-0________1__
IsaacKoi________________5_______________4-0________5__
Oscitate ________________5_______________2-1________0__
maria_stardust___________4_______________3-3________0__
AshleyD________________4_______________2-1________2__
TheWayISeeIt___________4_______________2-3________0__
nyk537_________________4_______________4-7________0__
Constantwonder_________4________________2-2________0__
KrazyJethro_____________4________________1-1________0__
Byrd___________________4_______________0-0-1______0__
wormwood13_____________4________________2-2________0__
Parallex_______________4________________2-1________0__
FreeThinkerIdealist________4_______________1-1________0__
TheDuckster____________4________________1-1________0_
nefermore______________4________________2-2________0__
serbsta_________________4_______________2-1________0__
AllSeeingI_____________4________________2-1________0_
orange-light_____________3_________________2-3________0__
budski_________________3________________2-4________0__
peacejet_______________3_________________2-1________1__
Sublime620_____________3________________1-5________0__
Ldragonfire______________3_________________2-3________0__
Chebob_________________3________________0-1________0__
ProtoPlasmicTraveler______2__________________1-0________1__
skeptic1________________2_________________1-2________0__
ragster_________________2__________________1-1________0__
GUNSINWAR_____________2________________1-1________1__
grimreaper797___________2_________________1-0________1__
SpartanKingLeonidas_______2__________________1-0________1__
ecoparity_______________2__________________1-1________0__
Coven__________________2________________1-1________0__
poet1b_________________2_________________0-1________0__
Hikix___________________2_________________0-1________0__
MastaG_________________2_________________1-0________0__
TheBorg________________2_________________0-3________0__
bodrul_________________2__________________2-2________0__
visible_villain_____________2__________________1-1________0__
antar____________________2_________________1-1________0__
Supercertari______________2_________________1-1________1__
vkey08_________________2__________________1-1________0__
Apex___________________1__________________0-1________0__
dntwastetime_____________1__________________0-1________0__
gallopinghordes___________1__________________0-1________0__
more_serotonin_pls________1__________________0-1________0__
pstiffy__________________1__________________0-1________0__
one_man24______________0__________________0-1________0__
CA_Orot________________0__________________0-1________0__
Proto Fire Fox____________0__________________0-1________0__
Rockpuck_______________0__________________1-2________0__
emsed1_________________0__________________0-2________0__
Snarf__________________0__________________0-1________0__
Frankidealist35___________0__________________0-3________0__
questioningall_____________0_________________0-1________0__
FSBlueApocalypse________0__________________0-2________0__
Benarius________________0__________________0-1________0__
SemperParatusRJCC_______0_________________0-1________0_

[edit on Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:20:41 -0500 by MemoryShock]
edit on Wed 27 Oct 2010 by The Vagabond because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri 29 Oct 2010 by The Vagabond because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon 25 Jun 2012 by The Vagabond because: added open challenges to title

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
This thread is open for fighters to issue challenges.

Non-fighters should issue challenges via U2U to their intended opponent and then contact a debate moderator (probably me) once they have made an agreement to debate. You will then be given fighter status, allowing you to post in this forum.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I'll take this opportunity to issue an open challenge to any fighter on ATS. I'll debate anyone, anytime, about anything. Just let me know and we'll get it arranged.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Just to let everyone know, challenge matches are still open even during the first-timer's tournament. I'm very surprised nobody has issued any challenges yet.

Two matches that I would very much like to see are TheBorg versus Esdad71 and nyk537 versus Tuning Spork.

And you guys with rankings of 6... you should be gunning for the top. Has anybody U2U'd Rdube, Memoryshock, or Kenshiro for a match yet?

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Kudos to NYK537 for being the first fighter to go out and find himself a challenge match. He had a tough draw in the first round of the last tournament- don't be fooled by his ranking, he's sharp.

Also hats off to nyk's opponent Truth4Hire for accepting a judged debate on such a controversial issue.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Well…time to move up the ladder. My open challenge to any member still stands. I'll probably hold off until this coming Monday. Just let me know if you want to debate ANY topic and I'm for it.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
nyk537...You have twice issued a debate challenge....I would like to accept your challenge..likely sometime after the current tournament out of respect for the current fighters...

The topic can be of any nature, of which can either be discussed through u2u or randomly chosen by a moderator....

MemoryShock

[edit on 12-11-2007 by MemoryShock]

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Excellent. The topic does not make any difference to me. If it's all the same we will just let a moderator choose a random topic for us. As soon as you are ready to get started let me know.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Then it is agreed...the topic shall be chosen at random. I believe that I will be ready (more than) at the end of this tournament...which I anticipate to occur in ~ a week...

...I believe that we can put on a good show.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Then it is agreed...the topic shall be chosen at random. I believe that I will be ready (more than) at the end of this tournament...which I anticipate to occur in ~ a week...

...I believe that we can put on a good show.

As do I.

I haven't witnessed you debate personally but I have heard great things about you.

I look forward to an excellent challenge.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I'd like to fire out a challenge.

I'm a beginner in many respects, but I'm willing to take anyone on for experience.

If anyone would like a challenge match, u2u me and I'm sure we can sort out the details.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Summary of Recent Changes

As of 11/21/08, the rules have been officially changed to reflect the now common practice of members and moderators competing with eachother.

The period for a champion to accept a challenge has been extended to 90 days.

Major changes to the phrasing but not the meaning of other rules have been made in the interest of brevity, creating more room for new fighters to be listed in the rankings.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Ok. I need some experience at this, so.....

Open challenge here, anyone at all. Lets have some fun.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Its good to get some practice before the Tournament. Your chances of finding an opponent are better if you post in the Fight Club Pub

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Just a heads up- I appear twice in the rankings (at 6 points and 4 points)! I should only be on the 6pt position.

I'm looking forward to the R2 matchups

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Fixed...

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Just cleaning up the list. Wanted to save the records of the inactive fighters being cleared in case they show up.

Jamuhn________________12_____________3-2________0__
thelibra______________10_____________4-1_______ 0__
Zenlover28_____________6_____________2-1________0__
Andrew E. Wiggin_______4_____________2-0________2__
dominusluciferi________4_____________1-0________0__
Xtrozero_______________4_____________3-1________1__
Secret Titan___________4_____________1-1________0__
discomfit______________4_____________1-1________0__
ConfederacyOfUnity_____4_____________1-1________0__
Howmuchisthedoggy______4_____________1-1________0__
DonWahn________________2_____________0-1________0__
D.E.M._________________2_____________0-1________0__
EvilBat________________2_____________0-1________0__
shearder_______________2_____________1-1________0__
Beelzebubba____________2_____________1-1________0__
Frosty_________________2_____________0-1________0__
Lucasman_______________2_____________0-1________0__
Xraided________________2_____________0-1________0__
Mrjenka________________2_____________0-1________0__
Apothecary85___________2_____________0-1________0__
Ihatesifi______________2_____________0-1________0__
Truttseeker____________2_____________0-1________0__
Raideur________________2_____________0-1________0__
Jburns_________________2_____________0-1________0__
Odium__________________2_____________0-1________0__
they see ALL___________2_____________0-1________0__
The_Final______________2_____________0-1________0__
backtoreality__________2_____________0-1________0__
Amaterasu______________0_____________0-1________0__
rockets red glare______0_____________0-1________0__
xpert11________________0_____________0-1________0__

[edit on Mon 16 Mar 2009 by The Vagabond]

[edit on Mon 16 Mar 2009 by The Vagabond]

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The following are the debate instructions as used in the most recent (November 2010) tournament. Figured they should be in the same thread as the other rules.

The topic for this debate is "__________________________.”

________ will be arguing the "Pro" position and begin the debate.
________ will be arguing the "Con" position.

The Debate Forum Bill of Rights shall govern any objection to the assigned topic. If such objection exists, please U2U the moderator who posted this thread. Time limits shall be suspended pending a ruling on any such objection.

Each debater will have one opening statement each. This will be followed by 3 alternating replies each. There will then be one closing statement each and no rebuttal.

There is a 10,000 character limit per post- this includes all characters including punctuation and spaces, as counted when copied from their display in the thread (where BB code is hidden and thus does not count).

Any character count in excess of 10,000 will be deleted prior to the judging process.

Editing of posts is strictly forbidden. For reasons of time, mod edits should not be expected except in critical situations. Requests for critical edits (affecting visibility of post or function of links for example) should be U2U'd to the moderator who posted this debate thread.

Opening and closing statements must not contain any images and must have no more than 3 references. Video and audio files are NOT allowed.

Excluding both the opening and closing statements, only two images and no more than 5 references can be included for each post. Each individual post may contain up to 10 sentences of external source material, totaled from all external sources. Be cognizant of what you quote as excess sentences will be removed prior to judging.

Links to multiple pages within a single domain count as 1 reference but there is a maximum of 3 individual links per reference, then further links from that domain count as a new reference. Excess quotes and excess links will be removed before judging.

The Socratic Debate Rule is in effect. Each debater may ask up to 5 questions in each post, except for in closing statements- no questions are permitted in closing statements. These questions should be clearly labeled as "Question 1, Question 2, etc.

When asked a question, a debater must give a straight forward answer in his next post. Explanations and qualifications to an answer are acceptable, but must be preceded by a direct answer.

This Is The Time Limit Policy:
Opening statements shall not be forfeit as a result of time limits. If an opening statement is not posted within 24 hours, a minimum of 24 additional hours will be allowed and a reasonable effort will be made to contact the late poster and make arrangements before any substitution of competitors is undertaken.

Each debate must post within 24 hours of the timestamp on the last post. If your opponent is late, you may post immediately without waiting for an announcement of turn forfeiture. If you are late, you may post late, unless your opponent has already posted.

Each debater is entitled to one extension of 24 hours. The request for a 24 hour extension should be posted in this thread and is automatically granted- the 24 hour extension begins at the expiration of the previous deadline, not at the time of the extension request.

In the unlikely event that tardiness results in simultaneous posting by both debaters, the late post will be deleted unless it appears in its proper order in the thread.

If a participant misses 2 posts in a debate, it will be then declared a forfeiture. In the event where the debate continues, once a debate forum staff member is able to respond, the debate will be closed and awarded to the winning participant.

Judging will be done by a panel of anonymous judges. After each debate is completed it will be locked and the judges will begin making their decision. One of the debate forum moderators will then make a final post announcing the winner.

In the Tournament, winners will be awarded 2 points for each debate they win.

All AboveTopSecret.com Terms and Conditions Apply at all times in all debate formats.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

This thread is open for fighters to issue challenges.

..It's a shame this option isn't taken advantage of more often.

Anyway, I have some spare time for another debate match If anyone out there is interested. I need the practice too I think.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Due to the above post.. I'm giving this thread a bump.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join