It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jazz anyone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 04:49 AM
link   

I'm looking for some good jazz bands, but I really know nothing about jazz so I don't where to start. What are good bands to start with?

I already like Swing a lot though I wouldn't mind the kind of jazz that uses piano for example.

Please recommend any

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
www.billboard.com...

This may help in your search

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Here are some bands you can start with. Since you mentioned an interest is piano based Jazz I have included some solo musicians as well. Some of them are personal favorites, and others are staples of historical Jazz:

Dixieland:
Original Dixieland Jazz Band
Louis Armstrong's All Stars
Jelly Roll Morton
King Oliver

Swing:
Quintette du Hot Club de France (personal favorite)
Benny Goodman
Count Basie & His Orchestra
Duke Ellington Orchestra
Oscar Peterson
Fletcher Henderson's Orchestra

Bebop:
Dizzy Gillespie
Charlie Parker
Thelonious Monk
Art Tatum

Cool:
Miles Davis
Stan Getz
Modern Jazz Quartet

Hard Bop:
The Jazz Messengers
Wes Montgomery
Charles Mingus

Avant-Garde and later:
Ornette Coleman Quartet (another personal favorite)
John Coltrane
Pharaoh Sanders
Mahavishnu Orchestra
George Benson
Chick Corea

Anyhow, thats a few you might start with as this list can give you a pretty good feeling for all of the different styles associated with Jazz over the years. There are quite literally hundreds and hundreds of artists that have contributed to this music as far back as the early 1800's including some forms of Opera and Black Face Minstrels. If you need help in finding other musicians you might be interested in don't hesitate to ask as Jazz history is one of my fortes.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I like Diana Krall really well for Jazz piano.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
here is a song off the hotrats album to get you started.

called gumbo variations...

this song is SICK....it will stream

media.putfile.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Here's Chris Barber Jazz Band - Petite Fleur (Little Flower) from 1959. I was looking for 'Wild Cat Blues' but I couldn't find it...

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
what you have to do is pick up miles davis 'bitches brew' and frank zappas 'hot rats'....that is the beginning of jazz fusion.

insane records....

listen to gumbo and give me an honest opinion...i think it is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Start of with the Classic Kind of Blue, A Love Supreme. You can find a list of these online. If you want new, hip stuff, what do you think of this.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by Amelie]

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
thanks for the recommendations !

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I love Jazz particularly without vocals. Not saying that I don't like any vocal jazz but I love instrumental jazz. The old stuff with clarinets and horns was awsome. Jazz is elegant and kinda ritzy, less nerve rackin. good for dinner kinda thing. I also like the newer smooth jazz with piano or guitar solo. Love it! But not all the time. I really can't offer any advice on listeng to anything in particular but love it man.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Wow no MMW fans in here? This group is Medeski, Martin, & Wood. They are a modern jazz band from NY that have many fans in the Jam Band scene. One of my favorite jazz groups.

Prepare to be funkified!

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
check out Dave Brubeck he has a song called "take 5" for me... it's a song that is perfect,listen to this anytime...and your instanly relaxed.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by KINGOFPAIN
check out Dave Brubeck he has a song called "take 5" for me... it's a song that is perfect,listen to this anytime...and your instanly relaxed.

Dave Brubecks "Take Five" was my own personal initiation into Jazz. I've gone on to love jazz in many of it's incarnations: from Miles Davis to Ella Fitzgerald. But, to be honest, Brubeck's "Take Five" is still my favorite piece of jazz. I never tire of listening to it.

"Take Five" by Dave Brubeck

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Toughest tickets to get in Montreal or Toronto is for a 13 year old girl named Nikki... here she is at 11. Well worth two Leafs games. Jazz isn't dead... it was reborn in the '90s. Enjoy.

Nikki Yanofsky - Airmail Special

www.youtube.com...

www.nikkionline.ca

Vic

EDIT: Free music!!!!! www.nikkionline.ca...

[edit on 15-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

Originally posted by KINGOFPAIN

Dave Brubecks "Take Five" was my own personal initiation into Jazz. I've gone on to love jazz in many of it's incarnations: from Miles Davis to Ella Fitzgerald. But, to be honest, Brubeck's "Take Five" is still my favorite piece of jazz. I never tire of listening to it.

My first exposure to Jazz also. Paul Desmond is the reason I play sax today.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Some jazz from Jazz' list. Oscar Peterson died Dec 24th past. There was quite a tribute in Toronto and elsewhere. Some say he was the greatest jazz pianist of all time. Here's a few clips., 3 OP and 1 Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Vic

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Oscar Peterson is one of my all-time fav jazz pianists along with Bill Evans, McCoy Tyner and Gene Harris. His elegant phrasing and seeming "one-ness" with the keyboard on tunes like "Falling in love with love" and "In a mellow tone" are awsome. He will be truly missed.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

Myself also. "Take 5" was the first jazz piece that really connected with me. Although I have propbably listened to the song literally hundereds of times over the years I never tire of hearing it.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The guy on the piano... Eldar. Golden Smog... shoobly oobly doo wahh, wahh. 10 fingers... sounds like two piano... kind of a bit like Peterson but without the same "control". Raw talent. Vibe-alert.

Vic

[edit on 27-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I love smoth type guitar jazz.. A Friend of mine 'RED' was the most unbelievable player ever.. any style.. I hated him for it..

He got me into..

George Benson and Larry Carlton.. I love the stuff.. Trying to learn it bit by bit on the guitar.

I'll try n find some links for my fave tunes.

[edit on 27-1-2008 by AGENT_T]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join