It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Canada, Our Soldiers In Afghanistan Need Something. Please Help...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
Edit to add: I know you said pork products are a no no, but what a bout beef jerky? Its not the greatest, but its high in protien, keeps for long periods of time in most climates, and im sure it tastes better than MRE's

Also, can we write a thankyou letter addresed to the troops and put in the package? (probably a stupid question)

Sorry I missed your edit, but for sure, send along some beef jerky.
You just can't send pork products into a Muslim country. The Canadian soldiers make every effort to respect the local customs and religious edicts.

Individually wrapped sticks would be better than a bulk bag, but anything goes as far as treats for the troops.

And of course you can write a note of thanks for their service. If you send a card or letter along in the package it will likely be posted on a bulletin board for everyone in the camp to read.
It's an excellent idea, and I know they'd like to hear that people at home appreciate the service they are doing.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Just wanted to post another e-mail from the front. I'm vetting some personal sections for privacy.

Hey Vic,

Things are ok here, trying to get over a bad cold... I feel stoned with what they gave me to get rid of it... no... not a good buzz :-(

Meant to tell you... I received an envelope with 4-5 Hamilton newspapers in it a couple of days ago, thank you.

(HE TALKS ABOUT HIS WIFE AND FAMILY, SO I CUT THAT OUT)
I look forward to my 2 weeks leave in November or December...

I have my eyes on the air fields for transport planes... and I have no problems sharing with the boys... I have people here stopping by my office almost daily cause they know that I get stuff sent and they like it... you should see some of the faces sometimes... almost like kids... we enjoy what you are doing for us Victor... it makes our stay here a bit easier, thank you.

Haven't seen Le Soleil yet...

TTFN
Mike

So the care packages and reading material is being enjoyed by all.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Its good to hear the packages are being put to good use.

i am assembling my package right now and have also passed some of the information (that CP is allowing free postage) around my cell at work (i work at honeywell aerospace) so hopefully people will get off their butts and do something positive.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
That so great to hear, I know the guys are going to enjoy whatever you send.
If the word gets around, I hope they get more than they need.

I had one more idea about something that could be sent. A few Christmas decorations like lights or strings of garland would help decorate their quarters for the holidays. Being a Muslim country they won't be able to buy any decorations for the holidays.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Thats a good idea. My girlfriend works at sears so Ill be sure to get her to pick up some when they come out to the floor, usually just after halloween.

Maybe ill see if she can grab a mini tree too.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I know Christmas decorations will mean a lot to them, so many people have to spend the holidays away from home. A string of lights and a little Christmas cheer will mean a so to them.
I included a couple little cars and toys for the troops to pass out to local boys.
Hopefully it will help in the villages.

I was asked if I could make a rum cake with fruit, but I don't think it will get past the sniffer dogs. But anything else to do with Christmas will be welcome in their quarters.

Christmas won't be the same when they're so far from home, but we can help by sending some decorations they can't get in a Muslim country.

[edit on 17/10/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
A NEW LETTER FROM THE FRONT...

I asked him for a more comprehensive list of what can be sent in care packages.

Hi Vic,

Yes, I'm happy to have packages sent to me for redistribution to the guys. But there are a couple of guide lines, I believe that they have the list of us and they check the names... some in the past have sent parcels to Private Joe Bloggins hoping to pick a random military member and only created headaches as the packages are screened (x-rayed) in Trenton/Belleville and if something does not jive then it could get return to sender or even blown up if suspicious.

If a parcel is mailed then the contents must be listed on the outside so when they scan it, it matches the content. The content should be well pack to resist rough handling and nothing can leak out of the box. The box will most likely sit at more than one location for an extended period of time. It can be cold to blistering hot depending where the box lands. Here the cool weather has started during the night but days are averaging out around 32-35 Celsius (warmer on tarmacs where the boxes will sit up to a week).

No go's are:

- sexual items (anything is banned here) so nothing period.

- any alcohols (even the chocolate filled ones), baking like rum flavoured fruit cakes or rum balls may be acceptable only if the scent of rum is kept close to odorless... it can taste but not smell.

- batteries - we have most of all the generics sizes but they can not be in any items sent (one could think it's a bomb). If batteries are sent then they have to be un-opened and in their original wrappers or all contacts taped with electrical tape.

Size is a factor, the bigger the box the slower it takes because of flight restriction... Most people send me 12x9x9 boxes and there is no problems...

If I receive packages destined to others, I will forward them to the guys outside the wire on the front line. They don't have a Timmy's or burger king there, not even a canteen... from the camp we send them "goodies" like local chips, pop, sometimes chocolates, oreo cookies, etc...

You have to appreciate that we're not in Canada and our source of supply are the Arabic country around here. When I say local chips or chocolate I mean that yes it can be a Lays chips or Snicker chocolate bars, BUT they make those here in the surrounding countries and they do not taste like home, for some reason they copied the recipe but half the time they screwed it up...

Some men at the front only have snail mail to communicate, so letters and cards are cool, and enjoyed by everyone.

General public mail are always posted up for a while for all to read...

A lady from Calgary sent us homemade cards that she does as a hobby, I got some and responded to her email address to thank her. if you want I can forward you the response.

Compact board games, small hand held electronic games (like football, racing, poker, blackjacks, ... in the 5 - 10 dollar range), cards, sports stuff like a football, frizbee... just remember that what ever is sent that it has to be expected as expendable and ready to use.

Comfort and junk foods are cool... and so are trail mixes, nuts, spits, beef jerkies (some guys live on the stuff), Captain crunch and family cereals, Halloween candies, smors stuff and stuff... sealed packs from a stranger is better than a bulk bag...

Can't promise pictures but if it is asked for in the care package, I'm positive that the guys can figure out something. Out in the front they live in tents or seacans if they are lucky... so computers and printers are rare... but there are some at all locations.

On the camp here we have some mountain bikes but nothing to fix flats, small carrier bags or lube the chain... no water bottles, small pumps, the little stuffs... there are no bikes that I know of outside the camp that I am in.
But bike repair stuff would be great.

Nature posters from Canada would be cool, like the ones at the tourist bureau... it would be like a taste of home to see that... whatever the season...

Here is my mailing address:
Please note a slight change in the address...

PO2, Lespérance, M.J.F.G., N48 858 569
NSE/ESN CMC/QA, KAF,
PO BOX 5058, STN FORCES
BELLEVILLE, ON, K8N 5W6

Mark on the side of the boxes if it's to be shared and or forwarded out then list that as item one. Whatever you want me to do with it, I'll make it happen. I won't know the recipient but someone will have it. Keep item one simple like "share with your friends Mike", and list all the contents after that.
I'll know what to do with it.

Thanks in advance Vic

Mike

So there you go folks, care packages are free after October 26th.
Put a box together for the boys.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I'm on it.

We have bags of peanuts, sunflower seeds, canned fish, Tetley tea bags, instant hot chocolate, energy bars, magazines, plus other things.
It will be in the mail on the 26th.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
edit.............................

It was so good I posted twice. :bnghd:

[edit on 20/10/07 by yuan de Fuca]

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
bumped

we are sending out our package tomorrow with some snacks, magazines and Christmas stuff.

great thread.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Hey that's great.

I just packed up another box today to take advantage of the free postal service while it lasts.
Here's a pic of some of the stuff we've been sending.

I have a few friends that have been gathering stuff at their work and other people I know have been donating things to fill the boxes.

A little 5 year old that lives in the same building I do came to my door with some of his Halloween candy the other day. His mom had gathered some magazines for me and told him where they were going, the little guy wanted to help out.
I was really touched by his selflessness.

The box pictured above is going in the mail in the morning, and I probably have enough stuff here to pack one more this week. It's been so nice to see other people getting involved and supporting our soldiers.

Thanks everyone.....

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I cried today...........

A Canadian soldier who had a foot blown off in Afghanistan has died of an apparent suicide, raising questions about the distress faced by combat troops.

Private Frédéric Couture of the Royal 22nd Regiment died on Wednesday at his parents' home.

His left leg had been amputated below the knee after he stepped on a land mine in December. His mother felt that he wasn't acting the same after he was sent home, according to former army sergeant Georges Dumont.

Mr. Dumont is part of a veterans support group that sued Ottawa for failing to provide proper treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder.

Mr. Dumont said he had called Pte. Couture, offering help. Pte. Couture's mother, Linda Lagimonière, answered and told him that her son had changed but that he felt he didn't need counselling.

Mr. Dumont's contacts at CFB Valcartier told him that Pte. Couture committed suicide at his family home in Roxton Pond, 90 kilometres east of Montreal.

A friend of Pte. Couture who spoke to the TVA network, said the 22-year-old soldier shot himself even though he had said in recent days that he was fine and looked forward to returning to Valcartier.

Pte. Couture's mother had said “something wasn't working right” with her son, Mr. Dumont said. “It's possible he was in denial. You can't twist a guy's arm to make him admit he's ailing.”

Withdrawal and moodiness are warning signs, said a psychotherapist helping military post- traumatic stress disorder sufferers. “You feel like you're nobody and absolutely nobody understands what you went through,” said Rob Tyler, a retired army captain.
www.theglobeandmail.com...

Things like this only steel my resolve to help make life better for our soldiers.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
^^^^^^^^^^
*BUMP*

Packages must be sent in the next week or so to get there before Christmas.
Wrap it up and send it off..........

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Thought Id give this a bump as I havent checked back to it in a while.

I sent my package out last week (sorry for the lateness but things have been hellish)
heres a list of what was in it, hopefully itll be usefull.

Itemized list of contents in package

1x pop-up Christmas tree
1x box marco-polo chocolate bars (Individually Wraped)
1x box Ferrero Rocher (Individually Wraped)
1x bag Christmas chocolates (Individually Wraped)
1x oversized lindt chocolate bar
2x box Christmas decorations (orbs)
1x magazine: McClain’s
2x lolli-pop rolls (Individually Wraped)
1x pack assorted mints (Individually Wraped)
3x packs assorted fruit candies (Individually Wraped)
1x pack caramel (Individually Wraped)
2x packs Christmas stars
3x Christmas garlands
1x pack lindt chocolates (Individually Wraped)
3x Newspaper: Toronto star
4x newspaper: 24

Cheers to our men and women abroad.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Thanks so much InSpiteOf.

I had the rare opportunity to speak to Mike while he was on a short leave, it was sure nice to hear his voice. He sounded well and in good spirits despite the conditions he's required to work under.
They're a tough bunch of guys our soldiers.

He told me that packages are getting through to the men usually about two weeks after being posted in Canada. I'm sending one more this week in hopes it makes it in time for Christmas. The offer from Canada Post is in effect until sometime in January, so I'll also keep a steady supply of items going over as I fill boxes.

That list of stuff you sent out sounds fantastic, I'm sure they'll enjoy it.
If I can get someone to send me a picture of the tree and decorations set up I'll be sure to post it in this thread and let you know by u2u.

Thanks again for supporting our troops.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Oh dont thank me, they deserve it

Im going to try and put one or two more together before the offer from CP is over. After sending the package, I mentioned it to a few people and my family, they seem to want to contribute to the next ones going out, good new all around.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join