It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chavez vows revenge for Falklands war

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   

IN a new outburst of antiwestern sabre-rattling, President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela has threatened Britain with “revenge” for the Falklands war of 1982. The belligerent Latin American leftist warned last week that his recent build-up of sophisticated Russian and Iranian weapons would be used to destroy the British fleet if it attempted to return to the South Atlantic.

Speaking on his weekly television show Alo Presidente (Hello, Mr President), Chavez denounced what he described as Britain’s “illegal occupation” of the Falklands and repeated his call for a regional military alliance against Britain and the United States.

timesonline.co.uk

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Good Old Chavez always coming up with more BS, now he is vowing revenge for the Falklands war which he had no part in.
I assume GB did not take him up on his free offer Oh wait it was not free oil was it it had strings attached so now he threatens them with revenge. Obviously his intelligence is not that great I would assume GB could wipe him out in a day or so if that.

[edit on 9/2/2007 by shots]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I don't know why we've still got the falklands anyway, there's really no reason for them to be british territory. Hopefully we can soon divest ourselves of these relics of the imperial past and come to peace with our place in the world.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Originally posted by Chris McGee

I don't know why we've still got the falklands anyway, there's really no reason for them to be british territory.

Thanks for the post Chris. You are just like the rest of who are out of the loop. I suspect that if we were in the loop that we would know a very important and probably vitally strategic reason why it remains British Territory and why they were willing to go to war for it.

Hopefully we can soon divest ourselves of these relics of the imperial past and come to peace with our place in the world.

While I admit that it might be simply 'a relic of the Imperial past' I don't suspect it is.

I would imagine that sooner or later we will come upon the real reason, slap ourselves in the forehead and say, "I should have been able to figure that out."

Of course we are probably missing a few key points of information but they will probably come along.

For some reason, secret information seems to be leaking like it never has before.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

I don't know why we've still got the falklands anyway, there's really no reason for them to be british territory. Hopefully we can soon divest ourselves of these relics of the imperial past and come to peace with our place in the world.

Because the people who live on the Islands want to remain British simple as that really.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phil123

Well, they're quite welcome to come to Britain.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   

reply to post by Phil123

Why would they want to do that when their homes are on the Falklands. I'm not sure why Argentina think they have a claim over the Islands they are uninhabited before they were discovered by European explorers.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Phil123

They want to be British, what's more British than living in Britain? If they're concerned about their homes than i'm sure whatever government takes charge will allow them to stay there.

The rule that whoever discovered it first doesn't really hold for me. Why should we have rights to an island that is more than an earths diameter from our country?

I do know that Argentina have a much more valid claim on the islands than we do. The fact that some long dead explorer once planted a British flag there does not mean we have the right to hold the land in perpetuity.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   

So you want to evict a whole island that wants to stay British?

Should we give the channel islands to the french too? Or how about any other land that countries want, Perhaps some Scandinavians want the Shetland islands and maybe the Irish want the isle of man.

We should defend those islands as we would our own mainland.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
So you want to evict a whole island that wants to stay British?

As I said, they'd most probably be allowed to stay. If they want to be British then maybe they should come and live in Britain.

Should we give the channel islands to the french too? Or how about any other land that countries want, Perhaps some Scandinavians want the Shetland islands and maybe the Irish want the isle of man.

The difference is we have a legitimate claim to those islands. They are well within 'the British Isles'

Originally posted by FlyerWe should defend those islands as we would our own mainland.

Why?

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I do know that Argentina have a much more valid claim on the islands than we do. The fact that some long dead explorer once planted a British flag there does not mean we have the right to hold the land in perpetuity.

There are borders for international waters and the Falklands are outside of Argentinian territory. They are British.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   

They want to be British, what's more British than living in Britain? If they're concerned about their homes than i'm sure whatever government takes charge will allow them to stay there.

The rule that whoever discovered it first doesn't really hold for me. Why should we have rights to an island that is more than an earths diameter from our country?

The people living their want to remain under British rule, simple as that. The geographical proximity to Argentina has nothing to do with it, if we use that logic Britain should be in charge of France after all it's only 20 miles away. As for nothing been more British than living in Britain, well not all British people want to live on the mainland

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
They ARE living in Britain, same as the people in Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the US Virgin Islands and the Northern Mariana Islands and American Indian reservations ARE living in the United States.

Calling people who want to be British a "relic" wow, I cant believe I read that

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnlear
Thanks for the post Chris.

Thanks for the reply, John
. The only logical reason I can think of is natural resources. The isalnds don't seem to have any strategic value, doubly so since there are no known military facilities there.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   

The difference is we have a legitimate claim to those islands. They are well within 'the British Isles'
How about the channel islands just off france? They are hundreds of miles closer to france than the Falklands to Argentina.

Why?

Because they are British full of Brits.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnlear
Thanks for the post Chris.

Thanks for the reply, John
. The only logical reason I can think of is natural resources. The isalnds don't seem to have any strategic value, doubly so since there are no known military facilities there.

Actually over 1,000 British service members are stationed there. It is a major UK garrison.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Using that logic neither Britain Or Argentina should be in charge of the Islands and they should be independent, however as the population don't want independence so then we are back to them remaining British.

[edit on 2/9/07 by Phil123]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phil123
The people living their want to remain under British rule, simple as that.

They could do that in Surbiton.

Originally posted by Phil123
The geographical proximity to Argentina has nothing to do with it, if we use that logic Britain should be in charge of France after all it's only 20 miles away. As for nothing been more British than living in Britain, well not all British people want to live on the mainland

It has everything to do with it. Those islands quite clearly are not part of the British Isles so why do we own them?

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
They ARE living in Britain, same as the people in Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, the US Virgin Islands and the Northern Mariana Islands and American Indian reservations ARE living in the United States.

Calling people who want to be British a "relic" wow, I cant believe I read that

The US doesn't have anything to do with this. We had an empire and for the most part we have returned that which was taken to the rightful owners. All that remains are one or two anomalies left to be dealt with.

Please also note that I did not call anyone a relic nor impugn their wish to be British. The 'relics' are the remaining facets of imperialism.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   

It has everything to do with it. Those islands quite clearly are not part of the British Isles so why do we own them?

They are also clearly not part of Argentina as they are 300 miles away, if we used Argentina's logic we would own half of Europe.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

How about the channel islands just off france? They are hundreds of miles closer to france than the Falklands to Argentina.

That's an impressive feat since the channel is about 100 miles wide. The majority of the channel islands are around 70 miles from Britain, well within our territorial waters.

[edit on 2-9-2007 by Chris McGee]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join