It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ELECTRIC SHOCK: Punishing Children Like the Dogs they Are...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
While I have already posted this article in this thread. I think the subject merits its own thread:

School of Shock

Rob Santana awoke terrified. He'd had that dream again, the one where silver wires ran under his shirt and into his pants, connecting to electrodes attached to his limbs and torso. Adults armed with surveillance cameras and remote-control activators watched his every move. One press of a button, and there was no telling where the shock would hit—his arm or leg or, worse, his stomach. All Rob knew was that the pain would be intense.

Every time he woke from this dream, it took him a few moments to remember that he was in his own bed, that there weren't electrodes locked to his skin, that he wasn't about to be shocked. It was no mystery where this recurring nightmare came from—not A Clockwork Orange or 1984, but the years he spent confined in America's most controversial "behavior modification" facility.

In 1999, when Rob was 13, his parents sent him to the Judge Rotenberg Educational Center, located in Canton, Massachusetts, 20 miles outside Boston...

More...

It seems pretty clear that this isn't about therapeutic treatment, but a depraved notion concerning what is appropriate when disciplining young children.

As I said in my other thread, this article is a six page description of a society gone mad.

Color it any way you want, I think this practice is indefensible and disgusting beyond all belief!

God help us.

[edit on 2-9-2007 by loam]

Mod Edit: Image Configuration, Reduced External Quote

Mod Note: Do Not Alter Staff Edits.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: I Am Certain That There Will Be No Further Edits.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2/9/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I've often joked about having an implant put into my husband so I could
'modify his behaviour' but now I've seen this it doesn't seem too funny afterall.
It doesn't seem very therapeutic to me but I'm no behavioural expert.
Before I started Nursing I was dead against the thought of ECT(electro shock therapy) but after seeing some incredibly positive results from what seems like a barbaric practice I dunno.
Not condoning it, but there must be some real reason for them to do this.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthchild
...but there must be some real reason for them to do this.

Given the examples in the article, I'd say the practice benefits the facility.

Otherwise, I'd might be more open the hear the 'therapeutic' nature on the more 'obvious' cases.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
A note to Loam and anyone else reading - please don't re-edit staff edits. They're always done for a reason, and if you believe they were done in error use the complaint feature or a U2U to discuss it - we usually keep a copy of whatever we're editing, so it can be undone if it was done in error. Thank you.

On topic - That is mighty strange. The treatment they're using is not allowed for adults in the prison system - it would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

I guess the message being sent in Massachusetts is that if you want to train a human like a dog, you'd better get them young.

This facility has traditionally had the support of very powerful people, and they've dodged the executioner's blade a number of times over the years. A bill to ban aversive therapy continues to pop up and get knocked down. Here's a history of the place, in their own words. The paste below is from a section detailing an effort to shut them down.

www.judgerc.org...

In 1987 the bill passed its initial committee and even passed the entire House of Representatives. Fortunately, because Michael Dukakis was running for president in 1988, the legislative session was abbreviated to help him spend more time on the campaign trail and the bill was not taken up by the Massachusetts Senate.

So if it wasn't for Dukakis, that place and their therapy would be a memory - or so it appears.

Multiple regulatory agencies have tangled with the owners/operators of the place, and the oversight duties have been passed like a torch from one agency to another.

It's a fascinating story, and I've got to look into it more. There's a lot going on here, beyond the initial revulsion. I can't even argue against the results, but clearly there's a lot more to the issue than just results. If all we need is results, with no consideration given to the methods..well, let's just not go there.

Thanks for bringing this up Loam, I had no idea there was such a facility so close to me.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Thats another, very similiar facility. It seems to me that these places cater to the type of parents who want a "nice" "docile" young child (read, completely willing slave) who never thinks for themselves nor crosses what they are told.

Want to breed a generation of dociles completely trained to behave the way you want, do what you want, and NEVER cross your lines, then send them to one of these hell holes.

NWO. More like power-mongering parents with a disgustingly twisted view of the world.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This is by far one of the most disturbing articles I have ever read. It is unbelievable that a place like this is in existance and that it wasn't shut down shortly after it opened. To read that states and school districts are footing the bill for this type of abuse makes it even more disgusting. And the fact that they can get court orders to use shock treatment?!?!? How can any judge in his/her right mind approve the use of such an extreme thing, ESPECIALLY when other avenues such as psychiatric therapy, aren't offered? WTH is going on?!?!?

Why hasn't Dateline, 20/20, 60 minutes, etc., exposed this type of facility and brought it to the attention of the public? I highly doubt it would still be in business if more people knew of it's existance and that it was basically funded by taxpayers!!

Jemison

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
What a complete moron! I honestly hope that Matthew Israel needs to be severely punished for this torture.

[edit on 3/9/2007 by C0bzz]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
That's mental torture in extreme. What a horrible crutch for teaching manners and installing morals into youth! If not medication and Psych. counseling. I once knew a person who went through shock therapy as a child, he's forever scarred from it. The parents and the advocates alike should be jailed and or fined. The fact that it happens this day and age is scary, what next?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
this is disgusting! it isn't just severely dirsruptive troublemakers being sent here - it's autistic, schizophrenic, bipolar and mentally retarded children etc also.

the child, rob, having been abandoned at 11 months old had been brought up by the parents who sent him there. they probably blame the birth mother for his behavior.

Despite spending more than three years at this behavior-modification facility, Rob still has problems controlling his behavior. In 2005, he was arrested for attempted assault and sent to jail. (This year he was arrested again, for drugs and assault.) Being locked up has given him plenty of time to reflect on his childhood, and he has gained a new perspective on the Rotenberg Center. "It's worse than jail," he told me. "That place is the worst place on earth."

i wonder how many more cases of this pavlovian torture didn't work on the children sent there. someone needs to gather these kids together and bring one huge lawsuit against them.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
When I was cooking for a living I suggested something like this to summons the servers to come and pick up their meals instead of standing around at the bar talking.

The servers didn't think it was funny.

In all reality... to do this to children is mean spirited and hateful at best. They should take those electrodes and attach them to the gonads of the fool who thought it up, and turn them on high... and leave them that way.

At least the servers were adults.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by grover]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Dear God on Earth, what are we doing to our children? We've turned schools into prisons, dumbed down education and now this. Whoever thought this up was just plain evil. One would think there would be a law against this. You know, if parents did this to their children at home, their kids probably would be taken away by child protective services. This is an excellent way to make a healthy kid turn into a criminal, let alone kids who are already messed up.

One day, we'll read in the news that they've caught a serial killer, and he will have been in this facility. Can you imagine the anger these kids would have?
THis is just cruel and sick. This type of "punishment" never works; except for very sick people to get their jollies off by torturing children. I wouldn't want to meet the people that work there.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I wonder if any of the people that work in this facility have kids themselves...

I guess it's easier as long as it's not your kid.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
And yet spanking or licks with a switch are the marks of a 'terrible parent' in today's society, and result in a visit from the dept of social services...

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Electro shock therapy for children. Wow. And we think the Muslims and other cultures are barbaric and sado mashochistic.

The worst part is people are probably paying these people a lot of money to shock little Billy into a vegetative state.

[edit on 9/6/07 by Dark Legion]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
The fact that it happens this day and age is scary, what next?

Oh, I don’t know. Perhaps the extra-judicial punishment of those who have been convicted of no crime, but who the government has decided need to have their behavior changed? After being vilified and demonized with a high tech lynching of the highest order, so that Joe six pack would find the behavior of the gov acceptable, the individual could be tortured with sleep deprivation, poisoned daily with all manner of painful but not life threatening substances, and also have their privacy, property and profession destroyed. Just another step in the quest for total control by the self appointed gods of this world.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
o god ahaha this is more sick even then men.punishing children with electric shock.what is this 6 raich?

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
This is by far one of the most disturbing articles I have ever read. It is unbelievable that a place like this is in existance and that it wasn't shut down shortly after it opened. To read that states and school ...

Jemison

The article is fake and made up by enemies of America.

In America we are free and democratic.

No torture in america.we have laws protecting individuals.
we are a highly advanced civilasation and dont practice this.

I think this is from arabia or irak or iran or russia...we know these people hate our way of life and are using disinfo.

the boy looks like a forigner.he does not look american to me...

he looks hispanic or arabic.

an antropologist could confirm this

the picture pasted from a different source to imply america.

wake up wake up.this is lies by enemies of america.

we are a democratic race.

[edit on 13-9-2007 by esecallum]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I read in the article, something like, "when is he going to get Psychiatric treatment."

Ok, reality check time. This type of "treatment" "is" based on Psychiatric principles. This was his "Psychiatric treatment."

Psychiatry is not a loving friend. Psychiatry wants you in control and docile.

I feel sorry for those good hearted folks who pursued this field of study, with hopes of helping others.

Troy

[edit on 18-9-2007 by cybertroy]

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum
The article is fake and made up by enemies of America.
In America we are free and democratic.
No torture in america.we have laws protecting individuals.
we are a highly advanced civilasation and dont practice this.

I think this is from arabia or irak or iran or russia...we know these people hate our way of life and are using disinfo.

I understand your lack of belief, but instead of using your outrage to claim it false, use that compassion to fight the fact that this place does exist.
Some people who have only watched tv news do not know the truth of some issues in america.

This is torture this is in America. the pictures could be faked so I offer plenty of links below. Note that your comment "No torture in America" goes against Government policy, research it. We do torture and it is American policy to do so to many people, Iraq's, Protesters, people who ignore orders of police, and of coarse Gitmo.

Here is a video from the school explaining it, they say it is for kids that are severe in their actions.
www.judgerc.org...

Here is the schools web site
www.judgerc.org...

Here is wiki entry
en.wikipedia.org...

Here are news articles from activist groups that are mainstream
mikestanton.wordpress.com...
www.nospank.net...

other articles
boston globe
www.boston.com...

www.informationliberation.com...

That should be enough

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
On a side note I bet David Rockafeller gets *snip* when he sees all those cameras and thinks of how chipping america can be used like this

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19-9-2007 by Jbird]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join