It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ignorant Flaggers and Star Givers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
But chissler, what if the post was way off topic and essentially nothing but a short sarcastic paragraph that doesn't address anything whatsoever? I suspect the stars were merely given because the poster has gained a cult-like following.

In that example I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing, I'm just saying it's irrelevant. You can cut out the post without adding or subtracting from the main discussion, yet it has 10+ stars, for no apparent reason. I won't point out exactly which posts, but I'm sure you've run across some of these.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
But do we hold the same standard for all members, and all posts. Ourselves included? Let's take this one for example. Our author has created a legitimate thread based on a legitimate rant. The author has received a few flags and stars for it as well. Were these flags and stars issued for the right reasons? Or were they issued for the wrong reasons? Were these not issued on the same premise that the thread was created?

Yet when we are on the receiving end, it somehow doesn't seem to be a problem.

When I author a thread, sure I love to see a flag or two. When I submit a post, sure I love to see a star or two. But noticing other members receiving them, for posts that I may not find worthy, is hardly a reason to be upset. (In my opinion)

The way I see it? Run your own race. Don't worry about the flags, stars, applauses, replies, etc., of other members. Contribute to the best of your abilities, and log off at the end of the day knowing that you're a better person for being here. Log on with every intention of learning something new, and log off knowing that you've accomplished your goal. Do not come here to compare yourself to others. Come here to inspire, to be inspired, and not to out duel.

No matter how strong you think you are, or how intelligent you may think you are, or even how opinionated you might be, I can guarantee that on this very board, there is someone here who is stronger, who is more intelligent, and who is more opinionated. Why? Because we're that good.

Like I said, run your own race.

[edit on 3-9-2007 by chissler]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Wise thoughts, it really doesn't bother me THAT much.

But as for this...

Originally posted by chissler
But do we hold the same standard for all members, and all posts. Ourselves included? Let's take this one for example. Our author has created a legitimate thread based on a legitimate rant. The author has received a few flags and stars for it as well. Were these flags and stars issued for the right reasons? Or were they issued for the wrong reasons? Were these not issued on the same premise that the thread was created?

To be honest chissler, I think it's a mix of half people that agree with me and half people that just want to be jerks.
But if you say we shouldn't worry about the stars, why put them there in the first place, so we can ignore them?

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Why have them?

They are a small novelty that we can use to gauge some material, or even just give a small pat on the back to a fellow member, to a post we think deserves it. The deviance of other members may seem to diminish the quality of these stars, but if you use them appropriately, you will know that your stars are of the highest quality.

It all comes back to running your own race.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

The way I see it? Run your own race. Don't worry about the flags, stars, applauses, replies, etc., of other members. Contribute to the best of your abilities, and log off at the end of the day knowing that you're a better person for being here. Log on with every intention of learning something new, and log off knowing that you've accomplished your goal. Do not come here to compare yourself to others. Come here to inspire, to be inspired, and not to out duel.

Oh my. How can I argue that.

You are good. Really, really good

I'll give you a star for that. Hey wait, can I actually give more stars than one?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole

Originally posted by enjoies05
I flag threads that I think are interesting. Doesn't matter if people think they are false or true, if I like it I flag it.

That's fine by me

I just think the stars should be given for a well thought out post that is informative and well written; not for posts that just basically agree with previous posts, and bring no new information to the table.

I've heard that opinions are like A**holes, everybody's got one. I ask this in all honesty, What difference does it make to you, if someone else flags a thread that they like, or gives stars to comments they like? And btw, how do you give a star, if you like a comment?
maybe i better soften this up a bit. I really do want to know. I'm not just being an antagonist.

[edit on 9/4/2007 by janasstar]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by janasstar

It doesn't make any difference to me personally, it just annoys the heck outta me. Hence, the rant.:bnghd:

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

Ok, I did, seriously want to know, because the ATS handbook doesn't tell you everything. I didn't know if maybe it clogged the system or what. About those stars, how do those work?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Above the post there is the post date, and above that is a blank star. Click it if you want to give said post a star.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Thank you, Enj, this is the first I've heard of the star system, although I do see them and wonder how they get there and what constitutes them. thanx

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I have to concur with the OP, I usually scan the home page for interesting topics before I dig into the topics I'm most interested in. The excessive flagging of obvious hoaxes and repeated threads just makes it a little harder to spot new interesting information.

On a side note, I only read this thread because it received enough flags to make it to the home page. LOL.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Personally I think is the flags are a good system, it brings to the front the most popular topics like this one. I would have miss some of the good debates here if it wasn't for the flags. Even subjects that are not of my interest if they get flag, I would stop and read them, just because I want to know why people find it interesting.

Another thing with the flags is that may be the OP has something going and needs a little help putting it together with words, links and the like. I flag those in the hopes people will notice and someone with knowledge on The particular subject will step in and help out the OP.

As far as stars goes I will give those out to people that really know what they are talking about and can prove it with facts, someone that make a good contribution in advancing a topic (pointing something out and such), and also for people that have taking their time and do some research, even if I don't agree with their view, to many people specially in the UFO forum come with their opinion and that's all. If you take your time and do some research, come back with some facts, links, then that job should be commend it IMO.

That's my .02

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Yet this thread has 12 flags and stars are being handed out with the quickness.

Isn't it ironic? Don't ya think?

Jasn

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
It's human nature I guess. Try this experiment -- get a big red button and place the sign "Do not push button" and place it somewhere, see what happens.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This thread is conflicting me.....

Do I hand out some stars, or flag the thread? Or will I be contributing to the basis of the rant?

yes

no

yes

no

maybe.....

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Simple enough. You flag the threads you think warrant attention and star the posts you think are, um... stellar. Some people throw stars around like they were sewer lids. Some won't star anything no matter what. Some star everything, and some star (in a perverse contrarian way) only those posts that they deem "unworthy". I'm going by the statements made by members in a previous thread about flagging and starring.

I wouldn't be too concerned about running out of stars or flags as you can always arrange for more.

Plus, I just like to click on buttons.

[Edit to add]

...and tagging. Don't forget about tagging.

[edit on 9/6/2007 by yeahright]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
i think they are flagged just to get more members attention on the topic.. this is not always a bad thing as it brings in the hardcore debunkers .. and yes folks if we are to ever prove anything we need them as much as they need us.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I cant stand it when these retarded threads go for like 1,000 pages talking about unsubstantiated bs that the person comes on here to just enlighten us about how special they are for having this bs in their lives. And then its like the gathering of the half wits! Stars and flags a flying. I usually end up being ignored because I will say some thing like" If you are having genital warts, you should see a physician" and then 100 people after me discuss how its not genital warts but alien psychic, shadow person black ops targeting them because they are so special. And the freakin titles are what sucker me in, and that really irritates me because I end up missing some really well thought out or researched information because i went for the title that sounded interesting. Poo.:w:

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
....Some people throw stars around like they were sewer lids.

You can throw a sewer lid? Geez you must be strong!

I wouldn't be too concerned about running out of stars or flags as you can always arrange for more.

LOL I can't believe you found this, it had me laughin histerically!

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Ouch, I can relate to that so totally. It's the reason I rarely venture into the UFO forums. There'll always be smart-asses there

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join