It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ignorant Flaggers and Star Givers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Is it just me or is it everytime there is a discussion about a UFO pic or video, people instantly flag or star the post without even evaluating it? I would like to see some proof of ufo's or extraterrestrials just as much as the next ufo enthusiast, but come on people! Easily debunkable videos get flagged and starred by the hardcore believers, and it's quite annoying. And then when someone says something that makes no sense, but supports the opinion that the evidence presented is proof, they get plenty of stars for an ignorant post.

Lets keep the capture the flags, and the star wars to a minimum people!

Use stars for good posts, not for supporting your own agenda.:shk:

[edit on 9/2/07 by AcesInTheHole]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Ahemmm, well even though I was wondering the same thing today myself, I hope you don't mean my threads? I have very few flags and are just now starting to see the stars. I rarely if ever star or flag any UFO threads. I have seen several UFOs in my life and not just lights in the sky, and I have yet to see one on film that I would believe.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

No, I'm just talking in general. It happens in nearly every thread that presents evidence for ufo's or ET's. I would like to see some proof someday, so I'm not trying to piss anyone off. I just wish people would star a post for being helpful or informative, not because "this guy/gal agrees with my views."

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Aces, I hear you.:shk:Lately I have been in "read only" mode as far as the UFO /Alien forum.When I ask for proof I get jumped and told to move on so that others may use the forum for their wild speculations.I go there for hard evidence facts and proof.If that means watching a video or two, fine.Just not one from Youtube that was added a year ago and been seen and debunked many times over.My new name for that forum is the "TROLL BOOTH", as it seems a lot of new members post their stories there first before moving on.I'm not trying to diss new members, or anyone who has genuinely had an experience, I just don't want to click on something I've seen before,or listen to someone spew BS just to get attention.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Ok, who's the wiseguy that flagged my thread already?!

:bash:

[edit on 9/2/07 by AcesInTheHole]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

OOOPPPSSS Flagged it! Sorry!hehehe.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Uh oh - the voice of the people bugs ya?

Don't like the majority consensus?

Dude, do you work in Washington or what?

:w:

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
Uh oh - the voice of the people bugs ya?

Don't like the majority consensus?

Dude, do you work in Washington or what?

:w:

Yeah, how'd you know? I'm available for parties too. Here's my ad...

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
You're killing me.

Slaying!

I can't throw a wild shindig like those bonfire keggers in Crawford, I can offer a nice selection from the liquor store next to my house.

Kinda low key get together.

Love the hair, btw.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Let's see...
I've flagged 2 threads.
Been flagged 22 times.

No ego here. I call them as
I see them.

I do agree with the OP.
Throwing stars (I might copyright that)
at posts is a bit redundant.

Flagging threads with no reason, other
than it heralds a psychotic point of view
is a bit mundane.

I really liked the WATS days.

Memories....
Lex

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Ahaha. Flag/star inflation!

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I know, it's fustrating aye?

I look through some posts, which are nothing but peoples opinions strongly worded, with no evidence to back them up, and even verging on being insulting. Yet they have four - five flags!?

Please people, flag informative and useful posts, like this.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I flag threads that I think are interesting. Doesn't matter if people think they are false or true, if I like it I flag it.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
I flag threads that I think are interesting. Doesn't matter if people think they are false or true, if I like it I flag it.

That's fine by me

I just think the stars should be given for a well thought out post that is informative and well written; not for posts that just basically agree with previous posts, and bring no new information to the table.

We need the WATS award back IMO. I think a profile counter that displays how many stars you have recieved isn't a bad idea either.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I have noticed this too, after a while the stars become a popularity contest, people just give stars to their friends and people they like regardless of the quality of the posts....

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MrdDstrbr

Yes, I noticed that too. Certain people here get 5-6 stars for a post that isn't even on topic let alone pertinent. It really makes the stars lose their value, doesn't it?

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I thought the stars and flags were mainly given to threads or posts that were interesting and created great conversation pieces. Isn't a thread or post being debunked interesting stuff, worthy of recognition?

[edit on 3-9-2007 by Amelie]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amelie
I thought the stars and flags were meanly given to threads or posts that were interesting and created great conversation pieces. Isn't a thread or post being debunked interesting stuff, worthy of recognition?

Flags are for interesting or important topics, stars are for outstanding individual posts, kind of like getting an applause, only from a member.

[edit on 9/3/07 by AcesInTheHole]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
While I certainly agree with much of what has been said, I cherish the role of devil's advocate. So here goes.

ATS is an enormous community with thousands of people coming and going through our doors. It's no secret that one man's ignorance is another man's truth. So while I may come across a thread that is utter rubbish and a complete waste of bandwidth, for another member it might be an eye opening experience. They may be quick to flag and star a post/thread that I wouldn't give the time of day to. And the threads that I flag, and the posts that I star, might be something that others look at in astonishment.

My point is, people see things in different ways. Just because I don't think it's worthy of a flag or a star, doesn't mean that others don't. I'm not ridiculing members for how they issue these items, so I don't think I should be for how I am. (Not insinuating that I have been)

Am I making sense though?

Just because you disagree, doesn't mean that it is inferior.

For the most part, our membership does a splendid job on weeding through the thorns to find a gem.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Very good points chissler, it made me stop and think about the subject from others' points of view.

But can you honestly say you've never seen somewhat of a popularity contest with these stars?

I mainly see these things when there are threads that deal with aliens or religion(mainly the "they exist/they don't exist" threads.). I always thought it was because there is less hard evidence to be dealt with in those areas, and more opinion. So the opinion of others may hold more weight in those areas, hence causing a popularity contest.

It doesn't bother me too much, because I know a quality post when I see one, regardless if I can agree with it or not. I would just like to see the stars used for what they are there for in the first place- an outstanding, well written post.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join