It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Agrees To Disable All Nuclear Facilities By Year End

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   

North Korea Agrees To Disable All Nuclear Facilities By Year End

www.foxnews.com

GENEVA — North Korea has agreed to declare and disable all its nuclear facilities by the end of this year, the chief U.S. negotiator said Sunday.

U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill said two days of talks between the United States and North Korea in Geneva had been "very good and very substantive" and would help improve chances of a successful meeting later this month with Japan, Russia, South Korea and China in six-nation talks aimed at ending the North's nuclear weapons program and improving relations between North Korea and other countries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This is good news, if NK stands by their word. This would remove one nuclear hotspot from the earth.

www.foxnews.com

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Aye, great news.

Hopefully a step towards greater international relations with North Korea. I've gotta admit, they had me worried. They did seem fairly serious with their nuclear program and scrapping it may be a tad unfair (the power stations, not the weapons) but it is for the greater good of the planet.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This does not include NK giving up the Nukes they already built. They won't even consider that until after a peace treaty.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanzibar

Originally posted by Zanzibar
They did seem fairly serious with their nuclear program and scrapping it may be a tad unfair (the power stations, not the weapons) but it is for the greater good of the planet.

Yes, they are almost totally reliant on China for their power sources. There should be a way to allow NK to have domestic nuclear power with international operation and control.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The U.S. is a wealthy country but the funds aren't limitless. Is every third world country with a crabby attitude going to expect us to purchase their peace like this? The whole nuclear thing is getting to be just a bargaining chip to pressure the U.S. for aid money and priveleges.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

This is good news, if NK stands by their word. This would remove one nuclear hotspot from the earth.

www.foxnews.com
I hate to agree with you
but i do.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by fweshcawfee
The U.S. is a wealthy country but the funds aren't limitless. Is every third world country with a crabby attitude going to expect us to purchase their peace like this? The whole nuclear thing is getting to be just a bargaining chip to pressure the U.S. for aid money and priveleges.

America is not purchasing peace. America is compensating NK for the loss of their Nuclear Energy program.

It wasn't all for bombs. The Plutonium is a byproduct of operating the power reactors.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I wouldn't hold my breath on this. Kim has already proven to be bat# insane, so I'm doubting he'll hold to this.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zenagain
I wouldn't hold my breath on this. Kim has already proven to be bat# insane, so I'm doubting he'll hold to this.

I think he is quite sane.

North Korea held up their end of the Agreed Framework.

For almost a decade they waited for America to keep their end of the deal while our government dragged its feet on completing the two reactors.

This could have all been taken care of long ago if Clinton and Bush had honored their word.

All they had to do was to finish the reactors, and Japan and South Korea would have paid for most of it. It would have been cheaper than continuing the supply of compensating fuel oil.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

The words 'whoops, flying pigs, there goes those' spring to mind here.

Would YOU trust them? I wouldnt.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Chorlton

Why wouldn't you trust them? They abided by the terms of the Agreed Framework all the way from the beginning until Bush ended the compensating oil shipments thereby breaking the agreement.

Why should they trust America, that is the question.

We were the ones who didn't keep our word.

new topics

top topics

join