It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran 'reaches key nuclear goal'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Iran 'reaches key nuclear goal'

news.bbc.co.uk

Iran's leader says his country now has more than 3,000 centrifuges enriching uranium - a target it set itself in its nuclear programme, state media says.

UN officials say the target, if confirmed, would be the point of no return in an industrial programme.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
'Three-day blitz' plan for Iran

Mod Edit: Removed Breaking:: from the title and headline and BB code from article snippet.

[edit on 2-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
If this is true, and the report from the US about a military strike plan being drafted, then we are probably months or weeks away from a strike on Iran.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Which means US stock market going to plummet by October.

I suggest moving stock into vice stocks such as defence contractors and other "support" contractors that will be profiting during conflicts by the US.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
So they're enriching Uranium.

There are more ways to work that to public advantage than just nuclear weaponry, sheesh!

Oh dear, we might have to admit that region is capable of it's own cultural achievements.

What a horror!

We're sure going to look like asses unless we quickly start shredding all newspaper evidence and erasing our anti-Iranian sentiments across the net!

Quick!

Everyone lock down and get to work!

*P.S. I'm very serious underneath the levity. Thanks.

[edit on 2-9-2007 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I still say they allready have at least 3 devices - and will use them on US forces in an attack

can see the headlines ` US troops are attacked in Balad base - at least 20,000 dead`

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
if they(iranians) attack...they'd attack the american air bases first....

i'm kinda slow so i dont understand your levity.....we've been anti iranian....and we still will be officially

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
`We`

who is `we`? which country are you from? this is an international forum...

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
So to make a nuke you need about 15 Kilo of Uranium. U-235 needs to be enriched to about 90% from the crude #. From what i just red was that 1500 centrifuges are needed to produce 15 Kilo in a year, so you do the math when we have 3000...
I think Iran's goal is to win time, they're not bluffing or hyping it, it would be foolish since they would get attacked too early. Maybe they already have a device [after years and years of enriching] now they can built new ones much faster, so i think they're doing the opposite of buffing. Either way, when they got their first device, they can store it at a safe unknown place and nobody is taking that away from them.
So both US and Israel have to make up their minds, very soon..

btw blogs.abcnews.com...

in this same year Iran had only 1300 centrifgues according to Blatter.
So they're doing a good job, and still i dont believe they'would be bluffing this.

[edit on 2-9-2007 by Foppezao]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
But the question is, how many of those are working?
I a February IAEA report:Iran has put 260kg of the nuclear feedstock uranium hexafluoride into a system of over 1,300 centrifuges.
They have already achieved the point of 4 % enriching, this would be the argument of letting them stop since they now have enough for their nuclear ënergy"

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I think we could see a third set of sanctions this week.

The question is, will it give a green light to military action if Iran does no stop the enrichment? The United Nations has already said Iran has gone beyond the point of no return.

Read into it what you will.

For once, the UN and US are singing from the same hymn sheet.

So both US and Israel have to make up their minds, very soon..

The plans have probably been completed. Just needs time to get the military operation into place.

It will have to be done via the element of surprise, Iran cannot be allowed to prepare to defend because I believe the Iranians have an advance missile defence system from Russia. Which can cause damage to any airstrike.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
It will have to be done via the element of surprise, Iran cannot be allowed to prepare to defend

Do you really think a US/Israeli/'Allied' attack on Iran will surprise anybody, least of all Iran?!

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It is just laughable to see that people actualy think that Iran will be destroyed quickly and it will be Iraq 2.....

No it isnt... Because here you have a super modern army armed with high tech weaponary like the worlds best SAM device: The S-300....

Iff the USA is going to attack, they will be destroyed very quickly... In the air or ground....

Ever saw what the Iranians have as tanks??? You will be suprised....

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I'm a bit puzzled as to what exactly the prevailing winds are at the moment with regard to this important issue. Recently I saw this article pop up on ATS:

VIENNA (Reuters) - Iran's uranium enrichment program is operating well below capacity and is far from producing nuclear fuel in significant amounts, according to a confidential U.N. nuclear watchdog report obtained by Reuters.

Iran had just under 2,000 centrifuges divided into 12 cascades, or interlinked units, of 164 machines each refining uranium at its underground Natanz plant as of August 19, it said.

The report's detail on new Iranian cooperation with inspectors and Tehran's lack of significant enrichment progress are likely to blunt Washington's push for painful sanctions.

Source

But the article in this thread, and other articles, seem to indicate that enrichment has been stepped up. If the earlier IAEA report were the result of an attempt by Iran to stall for time, why would they now turn around and announce a greater enrichment capacity? Are they playing games? Are they trying to appear to have a capability greater than they have? Did they always intend to have 3,000 centrifuges operating by this time and, knowing that, allow IAEA inspections at a strategic moment when they were below that threshold? Or is this propaganda on someone else's part?

What is the truth? I find this perplexing and worrying. Clearly someone (or everyone) isn't being transparent, in my opinion.

[edit on 9/2/2007 by AceWombat04]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

That's a very good point, and I've been wondering about that as I've gone through this thread. I really almost seems as the reports are changing constantly. One report might say they are ahead, and one might say they are behind.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
harlequin

i am an american....sorry for the confusion

for whoever said that america's not ready for iran's sams....

we know where their sam sites are....we know which ones are mobile...we know when they activate them.....we know when they move fighters from one base...(but not necessarily always know where they're going)....

but i do not think we will do like we did with iraq, (as far as the initial goes)

we wont be..."you have untill XXXXGMT to surrender"....whichever side attacks first, it's going to be a surprise as far as when it is.....

top topics

join