It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extraordinary Police Powers for APEC Summit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Here is a link to

APEC MEETING POLICE POWERS ACT 2007

here are some of my favorites so far.

38 Onus of proof of lawful excuse or special justification

The onus of proof of lawful excuse or special justification (whether in proceedings for an offence against this Act or in relation to the exercise of powers conferred by this Act) lies on the person accused of the offence or who claims to have the lawful excuse or special justification (as the case may be)

32 Use of force generally by police officers

It is lawful for a police officer exercising a power under this Act in relation to a person or thing, and anyone helping the police officer, to use such force as is reasonably necessary to exercise the power.

One of the major worries regarding these extraordinary powers is that they wont go away after the summit. This is backed up by the fact the some special police powers put in place for the Sydney Olympics are still in place in some areas.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I hear where your coming from buddy. I seen the news reports here and some preparatory footage of what they expect and what they will do. Pictures of speakers on street corners to use in case of emergency for sirens and directing the public supposedly away from a dangerous area.

Funny thing thou, they didnt even mention those funny looking square pods above the two horn speaker did they????

What do you suppose they are? detectors or some sort of transmitters?

I'll try and find some pics to post up- here.

Last week I also read somewhere on the web reports of people getting arrested in Sydney for planning to make explosives. Once again nothing on the mainstream news.

Also, is Bush coming or not? I heard mulitple reports for and aginst - is this some sort of diversionary tactic to confuse any potential attacks against him?

I still think the police powers are too extreme, and its as if they "want" an incident to occur to set some sort of example either to the Australian public or to the world.

Its all that little bit too fishy for me, how about you guys?

Im kinda getting worried where the tide of change in the world these days is going to wash up

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The NSW police commissioner was on TV this morning, and he specifically stated the special powers were not valid after September 12th - I haven't tried to verify that at all, but it would be a pretty risky move for him to say it on national TV if it wasn't true - not saying it's unthinkable, but definitely risky.

Personally, I think that if the security risk is so high during APEC then they should have organised it either on an island or somewhere like Ayers rock. The authorities could control access to the venues much more easily, and general citizens rights wouldn't need to be taken away, let alone the inconvenience of making major areas of Australia's largest city off limits for so long.

Existing police powers were sufficient to arrest anybody that makes the decision to protest violently - there was no need for extra-ordinary powers to be granted to police. I beleive the vast majority of citizens that are going to march wish to do so peacefully. The fact that it might be unsightly and embarrassing for the government if large crowds heckle King George and the rest of them, it should be a case of too bad.

Instead, the government introduced extra-ordinary powers for police to deny people the right to protest in any public place, and escalated the situation so that police are expecting trouble and are as a result more likely to overreact against lawful protesters.

If anyone turns up and decides to be violent like they did in Melbourne, then by all means the police need to arrest them, but I can just see this will all get out of hand with lots of normal people excercising their (diluted) democratic rights being getting detained or hurt.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   
its definately a sign of the times, going to extreme security lengths to keep back protestors and a good excuse to crack some skulls if you dont fall into line.

i heard on the radio (triple M i think) last week that they are going to bring in a new law to be able to spy on any citizen, search their home or PC for up to 18mths before they tell you about it.

i cant find any online links to it though, have you guys heard of this too?

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Im surprised that the PC spying upto 18months isnt already been going on, just that they havent mentioned it, and depending how far "little Johnny" wants to go with this whole NWO security paranoia thats seems to be the fad these days, you, me and any other conspiracy buff who posts what he thinks on the net on sites like ATS might one day be considered a threat, if not with actions, by thought, by influence so to speak for what you preach may change someone else to do something.

Yeah, its far fetched, but how many other far fetched ideas seem to becoming reality these days.

You all just wait till "thought crimes" become the norm, we'll be all in the 'big-house'.

freedom and democracy huh?

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I think the new law you are referring to is the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Amendment Bill. Surveillance is already possible under the legislation, however this bill seeks to "streamline" the process somewhat.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
They WILL infiltrate the protesters and stage some provocations like they tried in Montebello to say that protesters are violents anarchists, to demonize protests, and have a reason to keep those power and even expand them later.

This a step forward to a police state level Stalin number 5

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
well as long as i don't get arrested while im in Newcastle NSW i'll be happy...

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
When a mass murderer comes to visit Australia, and those who who support him close down a HUGE part of Sydney to offer THEIR hospitality, what do you expect.

Not everyone walks in ignorance, not everyone stands by as little by little human rights become a rhetoric spoken of at dinner parties and denied to those who have no voice.

Some people will stand up and say "F**k you c**ts, enough is enough!" and they will resort to means such as the destruction of the very thing those cowards love most - property.

They may not change things straight away, they will often be judged by those who walk in ignorant bliss........but do not be fooled - the politicians know how dangerous that courageous minority are when the majority wake up and join them- 169 million spent keeping a "very small minority" out of the APEC zones?........think about it.....

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
All this security sure does seem way over the top.
Is this the usual fare in cities that host APEC?
Do all the cities who host it also get a public holiday like metropolitan Sydney does next Monday?
Howard is so hoping that all this show of strength will turn the polls around for the Coalition. Thats really what this is all about.

All this hullabulloo reminds me of when Cheney was here and the harbour bridge was closed down to traffic. I mean fair dinkum!! Talk about inconveniencing people for little reason.
Why couldn't they have had APEC in CANBERRA the political capital?
Then the only ones being inconvenienced would be the pollies and beurocrats.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
I hear where your coming from buddy. I seen the news reports here and some preparatory footage of what they expect and what they will do. Pictures of speakers on street corners to use in case of emergency for sirens and directing the public supposedly away from a dangerous area.

Funny thing thou, they didnt even mention those funny looking square pods above the two horn speaker did they????

What do you suppose they are? detectors or some sort of transmitters?

I'll try and find some pics to post up- here.

Mate i hear ya, i have seen those loud speakers and it is a very bizzare two-pronged device that sits above them which looks really strange to me. Interestingly when they show the speakers on they news they ALWAYS cut off the weird thing on top so people dont see em.

I will get some pics for you. but i might create a new thread to ensure our ATS experts get a look at em.

[edit on 3-9-2007 by srsen]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I will be attending the protest in Sydney on Saturday September 8th. I am hoping that the protest is peaceful as I do not think violence will help the cause. I am not affiliated with any action group, just a working mum/wife with a social conscience. Any act of violence on the part of protesters to provoke the police will be playing into the hands of the 'establishment' who insist on stereotyping protesters as scum, uneducated, unemployed hippies.

I feel morally obliged to attend this protest as a peaceful conscientious objector. I do not think APEC is a good thing, I mean how many times do these dictating sycophants have to get together for a nosh and piss up, in fancy dress under the pretext of 'fixing the world' at taxpayers expense ?

Why should we have one of our beautiful city's turned into a mini Berlin?
Our people greatly inconvenienced and with the possibility of bag and (correct me if I am wrong, but I did hear this on TV) body searches ?

Then there is all the talkback and comments from so called 'nonviolent' people who are advocating that all protesters need to be shot with rubber bullets, hosed by water cannon (because we are all dirty hippies), runned down by police dogs and arrested. Wow, these people have some credibilty don't they? Preaching the violence they say they do not condone

I also think it is a good idea to be present as a possible witness in case things do get out of hand and innocent nonviolent protesters are roughed up and arrested. I will be trying to keep safe

I have not seen these sirens with antennae on them but now that you have all been mentioning them I will take note. I hope thousands turn up and help each other send a message to the rest of the world.

I would like to report back to this thread exactly what I see and hear.

res

[edit on 3-9-2007 by resistancia]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
My question is, how many of those laws will stay on the books AFTER the conference is over and done? Are there any court challenges under way right now?

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Why don't the leaders recognize there is a problem when thousands come and protest against them ?
What I see on TV : "Lots of police will protect the summit, they have water cannons to use against protestors". They talk like those "protestors" are from another planet, some evil crazy people that should only get water cannons as a response

[edit on 3-9-2007 by pai mei]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Justin Oldham

The chief of police said the special powers granted to them are supposed to expire on September 12th. His words were something like "There would have to be something quite extraordinary happen for those powers to be extended".

There seems to be an extreme fringe hell bent on violent protest (look at the titor experience's post above), but I really don't understand what they hope to achieve - in fact it's people like that who are the catalyst for more draconian legislation in the future, and perhaps would give the government an excuse to try and extend special police powers.

Of course, after seeing what happened in Canada recently, perhaps there is a chance there will be agent provacateurs from the opposite side of the spectrum as well - who knows? I'd like to believe that wouldn't happen here, but then again I would have beleived what is happening in Sydney now would never have happned here a few years ago.

And no, there aren't any court challenges to the laws that I'm aware of.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
locke, ruesseau, hobbes, jefferson...

it is our natural right to to live free and if our freed is taken away by government, than it is the natural god given right of the poeple to change that government by any means. What's the American poeple's breaking point? When is enough enough? We're all just gunna sit here and wait to have those chips in our arms?

What does it matter that we worry about all this security and big government when all we do is talk about it. Seroiusly, what is it going to take to motivate the populous en mass to initiate change.?

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
ok, i have taken pictures of the loud speakers and posted them here - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just for interest sake i have included some pictures below of the some of the APEC week security around Sydney.

i had some close up pics of the 'Wall' but i forgot to bring em - they are actually making you delete any pictures of the 'wall' from your camera if they bust you taking photos! anyway we have all seen pics by now, but let me know if you want me to post em

Anyway first pic is fully kitted out police roaming the streets. Kinda weird to see it...

The next one is the water police on the little jetskis checking for bombs i suppose. Funny thing is that they are just cruising around. No real checks going on. All for show/fear mongering i say. (yesterday there were only the two yellow jetskis going round. Could the other two on the red and orange ones be secret service or something? Bush IS in town tonight...)

And the last one is another water police pic. Also cruising around the harbour not really doing much but still creating a presence.

[edit on 3-9-2007 by srsen]

[edit: resized images]

[edit on 6-9-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Obviously never walked through a town in China covered in black soot where people have permanent chest problems and are dying early as industry destroys their environment producing goods so that us Westerners can live our convenient, materialistic lives.

Do not get me started on Africa.

Iraq - how many innocents dead on BOTH sides for a war based on false pretences.

I am extreme? No - i just have my eyes open my friend, and i will welcome you to do the same if you choose to.......changing the world does not occur through talking ideology with your friends.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
i dont actually disagree that the powerful elite do indeed fear that minority - its true, they do, but the sad reality is that when vioence and protests go together its a sure-fire way to get your messgae diluted and allow the media to ingore that message.

If the media can focus on violent protesters as opposed to the protesters who had something relevent to say, then you know they'll focus on the violence instead. then the masses will disregard the protesters message and write them all off, hence allowing them not to engage their brain with the protesters message.

This is, IMO, the reason behind the agent provacateurs (spelling?) recently busted in Quebec. Why wouldnt they incite violence? it serves the purposes so well.

Anyway i see both sides, i for one would love to mess up ANYTHING which the elite hold dear, just to p1ss them off. But i am aware that it doesn't really get you anywhere, except thrown in jail, prob as a terrorist these days!

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This is the same media who constantly promote the idea that the major terrorists are a bunch of religious extremists.

By definition, it is our own Governments who engage in far more terrorism than any other groups on the planet. The Religious extremists are, and this has been shown time and time again, born out of the policies of Western Governments.

We don't need the media - for they are part and parcel of humanity's enemy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join