It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My story about Night terrors and the power of Nightmares.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
When I was younger, I could never have a good dream. The idea of having a pleasant dream always escaped my grasp. I was tormented with nightmares. I'd have night terrors, (Starting around the age of 6), running around screaming, throwing up, and just plain freaking out. Sometimes, it was worse then this.

The first time I encountered a "Nightmare" was just before I started having the night terrors. I woke up sweating, with all the sheets off my bed, but not being able to move. Clearly struck by sleep paralysis, (or so I would think), I laid there, either crying, or screaming (I cant remember), the sound muffled by my closed mouth. Then I saw it. The shadow, not swooping, or gliding, but appearing overhead. Not having any recognizable figure, (Was like fog, or mist, more or less, but had a black glow to it), I saw it swoop down and engulf me. My heavy breathing suddenly stopped. No cold air filled my lungs. I was just unable to breath, (Being able to breath during any other time of S.P.). I laid there struggling, trying to get up, until I got dizzy, and fell asleep.

I woke up the next morning with a start, completely fine. I got up, walked around, it was as if nothing had happened. I went through the day normally, but there was an ominous feeling in the air. Something just didn't seem right. I feel asleep each day for a week or so with no other problems, except my dreams. Before I was "attacked" By the nightmare, I had good dreams, normal, happy dreams. But after that, I had nightmares. Being chased by an army of inanimate objects, (Animated of course), trying to save someone, but failing, that kind of thing.

Then the night terror's came up. I'd completely freak out. Run outside in the snow, throw up, run around the house screaming, and either falling asleep, going unconsious, or being woken up by my parents. There was one thing in common with all of the night terrors though. I saw the nightmare. I could see it, in the background of the calamity, watching. It didn't attack me, it would just float around. It'd try to run away and hide from it, but it would follow me. The night terror's continued for about a year, each having the same qualities. The Paralysis slowed down, but the nightmare was always there.

The end of the night terror's came after I faced my nightmare. The last night terror I had didn't really seem like one at all. I woke up in my bed, walked out of my room, and my whole family was downstairs. I asked them what they were doing, but they didn't say anything. I walked upstairs, but all of the upper floor was just a purple haze. There were no walls, or floors. I was floating. I glided around until I came upon it. The nightmare. Having a physical body of what looked like a child, but no color, just a dark figure.
It was inside a circle, full of others nightmares, each with different shapes. It laughed at me. I walked towards the circle, honestly not being afraid anymore. There was a pentagram on the floor, (Which they were circled around) With my nightmare in the center. I glided through their circle, (Upon entering it, I was able to stand like normal) and stood face to face with it. It threatened me, (It had a booming voice) and said if I did not continue with their plans, I would be gotten rid of. I screamed at it. Nothing specific, Just a scream. It floated back a little bit. It laughed at me again. I swung at it, and my punches just drifted through. I ran through it, but I just ran though. Then I realized I couldn't hurt it, but I could still get rid of it. Having been near their circle for quite some time, I had a good look around. In the middle of the pentagram, was a small crack. I stomped on it, and it grew bigger, the nightmare screamed. I stomped on it until it was a small hole in the mist. I stepped back and the nightmares slowly floated towards it, and got sucked down through the hole. My nightmare cursed at me, at disappeared with the rest. I then woke up.

I haven't had any Night Terrors and Bad dreams (Nightmares) Since. I've got scars from a few of my night terrors, including my final encounter. Whats interesting with the last one, is my parents said I slept soundly that night, but I've got the scars to prove otherwise.

I know it's not that Paranormal, (Maybe the only thing being the nightmares, which I can go in more depth it people like), but I thought it fit here. I know it sounds far fetched, but if anyones got any questions about it, or wants anything expanded or explained, ill try my best.

Scary, huh?

[edit on (9/2/0707 by Hexidecimal]

[edit on (9/2/0707 by Hexidecimal]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Hate to double post and bump, just wanna see what people in the Paranormal section think about my experience.

[edit on (9/30/0707 by Hexidecimal]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Well, I sorta had a similar case to some extent with nightmares. I don't think I actually had any night terrors. (Or the other way around, I forget the difference.) When I was younger I always had nightmares (Or bad dreams that is). Then after a while I was like, "ok this must stop" and then, I would just say, "wake up", when ever I had a bad dream and I would. Haven't really had a true bad dream or nightmare or night terror ever since, however I still have some messed up dreams now and again. Maybe this is just a normal part of development, development of control over our own mind.

On another note I have to say one thing I noticed too. In relation to your dreams OP, I have seen or hallucinated a shadowy figure (once in the form of a shadowy boy, most cases a wolf) on a few occasions. Just wondering if there is some connection. If paranormal related, maybe the same entity or if developmental related something to do with the child mind and brain rendering something in the figure of a shadow.

This could be something. I hope others post and respond if they have had similar experiences too. If so, we could be on to something here.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hexidecimal

There's a reason why the called DREAMS or NIGHTMARES. Your creative side of your mind creates these impossible situations, which can seem completely believable. By creating these figments of imagination, you start to think you are living real life, not a dream. The human brain is a very complex organ, don't think you can understand it more than anyone else.

The events of dreams are often impossible, or unlikely to occur, in physical reality: they are also outside the control of the dreamer. The exception to this is known as lucid dreaming, in which dreamers realize that they are dreaming, and are sometimes capable of changing their dream environment and controlling various aspects of the dream. The dream environment is often much more realistic in a lucid dream, and the senses heightened. - TAKEN FROM WIKI AT THIS LINK: Dream

Also see to this link aswell: Nightmare

And this one if your bored: Night Terror

[edit on 10-11-2007 by Nyte Angel]

top topics

join