It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man holds his breath for 15 mins and 02 seconds, while submerged.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Man holds his breath for 15 mins and 02 seconds, while submerged.

www.guardian.co.uk

A German man has broken his own world record for holding his breath under water after managed to remain submerged for 15 minutes and two seconds.
Tom Sietas, a 30-year-old engineering student from Hamburg exceeded his own Guinness record time by 37 seconds at the world free diving championships in New York.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This is amazing.
I never thought someone holding their breath for that long was possible. I guess I was wrong.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Insane, I thought you would get brain damage without air for that long.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Insane, I thought you would get brain damage without air for that long.

Apparently he didn't, which is a little odd.
I thought it was going without 8 mins of oxygen, well he probably did have a slight amount of oxygen in his blood, who knows?

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Here's how:

From the above article:

"His success yesterday was helped by inhaling pure oxygen for 20 minutes prior to the event. The world record for breath being held under water without the assistance of inhaled oxygen stands at nine minutes and eight seconds, and is also held by Sietas."

Breath hold diving is 'way cool. They have a thing called 'Shallow water blackout' where they come up a little too fast and then black out just as they break the surface. If trying for a sanctioned record, they get D/Q.

Breath hold stuff is also used by early surfers in Hawaii. They'd go down grab a big rock and run along the bottom, often a dozen steps, and then swim up. Repeat. They needed that ability unless they got held under by current in some places.

Anyway, yeah, even 9:08 done on plain air (though hyperventilated) is impressive.

At one time I could do 80 meters underwater on one breath, just playing around (was a lifeguard).

Even now I still use it as a training method.

One trick they use relies on something called Mammalian Diving Reflex Just by splashing a little water in the face where 'receptors' are, they slow down the heart and stuff. This reflex is what keeps kids alive who drown in ice cold water and allow them to be resuscitated up to 30 min later.

Thanks for the linking!

[edit on 2-9-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
It would have been a thousand times more impressive if he'd done it with just a nose-clip instead of a scuba mask, which can hold air inside it allowing a few breaths of trapped oxygen even while submerged.

Lame

new topics

top topics

join