It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you older members get ticked when us newbies butt in on your conversations?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I actually welcome new input...

The only thing that makes me sad is when the "input" is nothing but copy and paste from somewhere... That's a problem, but new enthusiasm and points of view are always welcome.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well, I don't really have a problem with new members trying to start a conversion or inputting their opinion in a current one, I actually welcome it, but I do get annoyed if their opinion is immature, unintelligent, and random.

I mean I hate to be a nagger, but a prime example would be this thread. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought ATS is suppose to forum for intellectual discussion, and BTS is for the lighthearted discussion: www.abovetopsecret.com...

ps: I know if I have a complaint I should use the Complaint/Suggestion, but I don't really have any real problem about the thread, i normally just skip threads like that. But, I'm just using it as an example.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Originally posted by skyblueff0

Well, I don't really have a problem with new members trying to start a conversion

Ummmm....

I will NOT wear a tie !!

Conversion...get it ?

Ummm.....n/m....

Lex

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Ummmm....

I will NOT wear a tie !!

Lex

LMAO god i love this site especially for those little quips like that XD

And they are very welcoming to new members so dont worry at all.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Karl,
your avatar is uber cute.

Did you make it ?

Lex

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Lexion

Yeah i saw so many avvys and i was thinking, how come they never made a neocon warrior hamster? XD Yeah my humor is odd but then again so is the world we live in

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snakeslayer
I just wondered if you guys get annoyed when new members like me reply to your threads so I can know if I should do it or not. Even though I'm new here, I know a fair amount of info about some of the topics, but I don't want to make anybody mad.

Not at all Snakeslayer. Nothing like a fresh piece of mind and by the way welcome to ATS.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by damefool]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I lurked here for Years before registering. I didn't really start posting till a year after registering. In my lurking years, I saw the most active/articulate posters go from members to mods. The most impressive thing to me about that is that there does not seem to be an ideology filter to them, only a drive to "deny ignorance" and enforce the T&C. That and the fact that this sight doesn't have to beg for money (I can't remember it ever asking for donations even back around '00 01) to stay up make it one of the truly special destinations on the web.

It can be frustrating when a new member rehashes old and beat down topics again I'm sure, but hey look at the bright side. You're liable to get tons of points from all the folks telling you that topic is old and beat down.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by jefwane]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Nope. Don't quite know if I qualify as a longtime member or not, but I jumped right in...made some good points I thought, and on several occaisions got my head handed to me. Why would we want to deny you the same pleasure? Have fun...come on in.

Warrior hamster? Love it, best avatar I've seen in a while...

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Are you kidding me? Of course we are going to get angry. We're going to get mad. And mad at you we should be. Lol. Just joking ;l-P

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
reply to post by Snakeslayer

What? That's ridiculous! If your post has substance then of course not. Don't be afraid to voice out your opinion. So long as you are polite, I'm sure no one will have a problem with you.

That's not necessarily so! I have always been polite here. But I came under vicious attack by a more seasoned member, for not necessarily my opinions, but my questions. I brought it to the attention Of the mods, and he wasn't warned or called down in any manner. There was just a general post, to stay on topic. This guy went so far as to say he hated me and all kinds of hateful things.
I'd also like to interject a question to some of the more pious ATS'ers. Did all of you come to ATS, knowing 100% everything about everything? Or did you have to make a few mistakes along the way. I don't know about the rest of you, but I still have erasers on my pencils, AND need them!

[edit on 9/3/2007 by janasstar]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by janasstar

Notice the hours of silence since I posted the above remark, and now? No, rushing forth from the mods, with apologies, or "Gee! That's too bad such a thing should happen to you!" Absolutely nothing! Bet if I would have used a swear word, they would have been on me like stink on SH*T! Sometimes I think there's a double standard here. Just hope I figure out what it is, before I get my head chopped off.

I think I get it, violence is okay, but profanity isn't. one-liners and overquoting will get points deducted.

[edit on 9/4/2007 by janasstar]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I love fresh input on a discussion whether by a newbee OR an oldie......I am all about information and looking at things from every angle and I can't see all the angles by myself hahahaha....
I have only gotten 'ticked' when someone breaks T & C wich brings negative attention to a thread.......or someone only makes a post to make a joke of the discussion......
it matters NOT one whit if your new or old to the ATS site!
come one come all and join in on the discussion!

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Well I personally haven't followed any of your posts for no particular reason other than i probably didn't find the title interesting or the thread itself or i had noting of value to add. I guess, too, one has to be aware of the time of day one posts a message. I, for example, post from South Africa and wait sometimes 8 hours for a reply. It's one of those things and i doubt it is something against you. If people feel they can add something of substance or value by replying to your post or the OP then i am sure they would. This is the nice thing about "seasoned" members, for the most part, they won't just post for the sake of using up page space.

I believe we have many well educated people in their respective fields, like Byrd, Justin Oldham, intrepid etc etc, just an example. We can learn from them and should allow ourselves to be more open minded to others views and opinions and not take anything personally. If any attack is to be made and warranted it should be on the topic not the person. Just give it time. When i first came here i felt a little intimidated by people who have been here for 3 years+ but i gave it a chance. My field of expertise is IT, Project Management, played in bands, did banking, did commercial law etc etc etc. But, unfortunately I don't have the required "subject matter" expertise required to be an "expert" but I do feel i can still contribute well to many topics.

Just cos one is new does not mean one has to stand on the side lines. With a little research and patience anyone can contribute and DON'T take it personally - learn from it and move on. If you get personal attacks and you alert the mods - there will not always be a "public" smack on the wrist and rightly so. But publicly there will be, as you said, a post to keep the topic on track. You may never know that they have been warned.

[edit on 4/9/2007 by shearder]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by janasstar

Notice the hours of silence since I posted the above remark, and now? No, rushing forth from the mods, with apologies, or "Gee! That's too bad such a thing should happen to you!" Absolutely nothing! Bet if I would have used a swear word, they would have been on me like stink on SH*T! Sometimes I think there's a double standard here. Just hope I figure out what it is, before I get my head chopped off.

I think I get it, violence is okay, but profanity isn't. one-liners and overquoting will get points deducted.

Okay then. In the future, since I can't count on help from the mods when I'm being threatened, I'll have to resort to other measures. I suppose that if a person is ranting at me in a certain manner, then it's okay for me to retaliate in same manner? So be it.

EDIT: Never Mind; I'll back down like a good lil girl. I'll get over it. My apologies! I value my time here too much to make a big stink.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I don't know about the rest of you, but I still have erasers on my pencils, AND need them!

I use pens. And waste a LOT of paper.

Of course noone knows everything.
If they claim they do, they know even
less.

I've enjoyed the hunt for around 20
years, now. I'm afraid the kill still
isn't near.

I try to learn something every day.
And, not just on ATS. My daily life
included.

Regards,
Lex

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Snakeslayer

Im not an older member, about 1 year and some months

But I am older guy, which I can get a little hot under the collar when people make one liners.. Or just come in and troll.

Sometimes I take life way to seriously.. And have found myself being a stuffed shirt on here at time.. sorry guys.. But I came to ATS to get away from the kids, and one liner, smart ass remarks..

Just as long as you have something to add! Then great!! I dont for see any problems my friend

My momma always told me.. If you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all..

And I have learned that a sig, should reflect your inner thoughts...

For me its just a ride! And I need to cool my jets here sometimes..
Im just overly passionate about such things..

And when I look at things like its just a ride... Well many people will come along, and push you out of line, or try to push you off the ride.. Watch out for that.. otherwise no problems

I await to see what you have to offer us here

Peace!
Zysin

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Okay then. In the future, since I can't count on help from the mods when I'm being threatened, I'll have to resort to other measures. I suppose that if a person is ranting at me in a certain manner, then it's okay for me to retaliate in same manner? So be it.

Wait a sec. Let's talk. To a certain point I heartily agree with you. There are some irritating things here. On occasion a Mod can be intimidating and over-bearing. Power corrupts. Sometimes the moderation can be uneven. Sometimes 'rules' are used, in my opinion, unfairly. For example, some one-line posts are pithy and full of information content. No fair to call them out. Sometimes complaints are ignored. And, frankly, I get tired of the "This is my ball and if you don't like it go away" attitude I see expressed once in awhile. There also seem to be certain people who are treated more equally than others. I'm not screaming bloody murder about this; it's not a knife-twisting complaint.

I would attribute most of this to the fact that there are lots of people involved. No one person is going to see things precisely the same way. Those who expect absolutely consistent justice all the way will probably be disappointed. Dallas is not Seattle and lots of people like it that way. It's like going to see a movie. There's nothing like the Big Screen and the bone-jarring acoustics. It's great. But to see a movie in the theatre you have to sit with a bunch of other people, mostly strangers. Sometimes they are talking. Cell phones ring. Babies cry. Kids act out. People sneeze and spill things. It's irritating, but if you want to see the advantges of the Big Screen, you put up with it. The traffic here is great, but that means there is some noise.

Not that I present myself as a Perfect Poster--I've just broken through 1,000 posts and that's a milestone for me personally (there are only about 600 people who have done it out of 117,000), but I've found that like in any environment there are rules, and then there is the 'way things are done,' the style, so to speak, that is often unwritten. So if I may offer some personal opinion and ideas from observation here.

a) Don't even think about calling anybody names like "Yer an idiot." Instead, suggest that though the poster is probably a very good person in all respects, a good parent and kind to animals, the ideas expressed in his last post, though perhaps not originally his own and therefore not really his responsibility, do have some fairly serious logical flaws, and these are A, B, and C. Perhaps they can be resolved. (If yer good you'll nail them, though--no escape if you have them pinned to the mat!

b) It would be really nice if your facts were correct. If you say something like, "The Canon AOS 094 Fako digital camera is capable of infrared photography!" you'd better be right because I guarantee someone will check up on it and there's probably an expert photographer that has seven of them in his closet and knows them inside and out. And though they may say, "Schuyler is probably a good person in all respects, however...." you will feel the sting regardless.

c) It would also be really nice if before posting a new thread, members would use the search function and see if it has been recently discussed. For example, if you were to post "How 'bout that Billy Meier wedding cake UFO. Ain't that great!" I know there will be a collective groan and feeling of "Oh, no. Not that again!" It's not that anyone wants to discourage a new person from learning about the matter, but if you'd just been through a thousand posts on the subject, you'd groan, too. Sometimes it's better to use the ATS archives to educate yourself on a topic before bringing it up again. Besides, if you have a new spin on the issue, so much the better! Springer just expressed this on this topic, so I feel fairly safe to bring this one up.

d) Well thought out posts are probably better than snappy opinions expressed in a couple of sentences. It surely does take longer, but I believe if you put your heart and soul into making a case it will be better for everyone. Not everyone likes or will read long posts, but those who do will appreciate the time you took to compose it.

e) I have also found that I shouldn't make snap judgements just because I don't like a post. Several people that I originally felt were complete dolts (not that I would EVER express such a thing) have turned out over the months to be friends. And once I mark a person as a friend, even if they post something 'doltish' it slows me down a bit so that I don't snap back. You want to keep your friends, don't you? So I'm gentle going back. And wouldn't you know, we wind up sharing experiences, finding ourselves on the same side once in awhile, and actually appreciating each other. I never would have thought, but there you are.

I also think a thicker skin helps. Every post back at you does not have to be taken as a personal insult. Just let it ride. Revenge is best tasted cold. One of the most insulting members here who I think did me wrong just got banned. Ha ha. It had to happen. The person was an idi----uh, I mean she was probably a very good person and all, but now she's gone. Too bad. But in any case, eventually you will be known by your posts, for good or ill. So don't be shy; let's see what you've got!

[edit on 9/5/2007 by schuyler]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Heheehehehe....... I may not have been on this site for a year but I've been on it long enough to have some say in it
. You could post as much stuff as ya want on this site ..... I'll never get angry at new members that post 'cause we all started out that way
. And ya get some more points just 'cause you're my girlfriend

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
While many of the new members turn into outstanding ATS contributors and a pleasure to debate with and share views and facts.

You always going to find some that need to take more time while trying to get noticed and made their post and point be recognized.

Please by all means be yourselves but please, please do not fall into insults to other members just because you do not agree with other members point of vew.

I know that this is just isolated cases but it does happens.

Been cordial and respectful of other members will take you anywhere you want.

Just something I need to add, I appologize if I derail the thread.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join