It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IL-76MD-90

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Russia has unveiled the latest in the IL-76 family. They have taken an IL-76MD, and replaced the NPO Saturn D-30KPs with Perm PS-90A76 turbofans, along with improved avionics. The new engines give it a faster cruise speed (445kts), increase the max take off weight to 210,000kg, and the payload to 60,000kg. Fuel conservation is up 8-10%. The production version will be known as the IL-476 or fourth generation IL-76, and include a glass cockpit and a further 13-17% fuel efficiency. In addition another IL-76 is being tested with Kutznetsov NK-93 ducted fan engines.

Source

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Interesting info, but that photo looks odd to me. The wing with the "RA" under it just don't seem correct with the size of it and the angle in comparison to the other wing and just how the engines on that "RA" wing look as if they aren't correct being they look almost a different size then the other two and how they appear to not be positioned one ahead of the other like the wing with the numbers under it are. And that little "shark fin" thing thats supposedly under (or I guess on the side) of the plane beneath the cockpit looks just as odd as the open side door.

I dunno maybe I need more sleep but that whole RA wing just caught my attention right away as being odd looking in that photo.

Bzzzzzzz

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It's kind of an odd angle which is why it makes it look that way. You can see the slats deployed on one side, and see through them, but not on the other, which makes the wing look different on the other side. You also have to take into account that not only is it an odd angle, but it's in a slight left hand turn, which throws it off more. It looks normal to me, but I'm used to seeing them planes from a lot of odd angles.

[edit on 9/1/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I hope the RuAF will be getting some.

Will they?

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
They haven't announced anything about who would be getting them yet. From the sound of things this is still in the very early stages and hasn't entered production yet.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Mobile missile silo? Whatever they do with it that is one awesome aircraft. I saw one come in to land about 15 years ago and it was quite impressive. I think it had a load of elephants for the zoo or something.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BuzzingOn
And that little "shark fin" thing thats supposedly under (or I guess on the side) of the plane beneath the cockpit looks just as odd as the open side door.
Bzzzzzzz

The 'shark fin' appears to me to be a door open on the starboard side opposite the open door on the port side. I'm guessing that they can be opened in flight as wind deflectors for dropping paratroops.

The Winged Wombat

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Why are they cruising along with all the doors open? Did the air conditioning break? It is a good looking airplane and those look like some huge engines.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Why are they cruising along with all the doors open? Did the air conditioning break? It is a good looking airplane and those look like some huge engines.

To awnser your question: No the air conditioning didnt break down. They were testing the air resistance on the aircraft when all the doors are open.

And yes i agree with the fact that it is a good looking plane because it IS a good plane

Those engines are indeed big and are certainly a lot bigger then the previous set off engines.

new topics

top topics

join