It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If only more people knew how to read.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
If more people knew how to read, don't you think our vote would count more? I recommend starting a "learn2read" campaign and we should start sending emails to all of hte presidential hopefuls telling them how important it is that Americans learn to read. If they don't they will be getting their news from the TV and they will continue to be sheep. If people don't read, they will never form an informed opinion about something. Take it from someone that has watched fox news before and stopped it. :\.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Huh? I thought our literacy rate was like 99.9%?

Somewhere around 99% at least.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by lightworker12]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I don't think the ability to read is truly impacting our elections, or leading to voter apathy. I think the problem is that people really don't give a damn. I'm willing to bet that a rather large percentage of those that can read, don't bother to read into much depth to what the politicians have to say. They'll listen to the evening news, catch a few sound bits on each one, and this will lead to who they decide to cast their vote, if they vote at all.

While teaching people to read is certainly an important asset that every individual should call their own, I seriously doubt that it impacts our elections at all.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightworker12
Huh? I thought our literacy rate was like 99.9%?

Somewhere around 99% at least.

lol I dont think so...i dont believe that statistic, at least. The literacy rate in the US is worse than what people believe (*or want to believe). I've seen it myself. In the town I live in you'd be suprised how many uneducated and illiterate folks I see at my workplace.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Perhaps, comprehension is what needs to be taught.
Reading is one thing, but understanding what is being said, is another.

Frankly, an entire course on political double-speak is in order.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I'd have to agree. It's a lot easier to sit and do nothing than it is to acutally go out there, read up on these candidates and actually research who they want to lead our country. This feeds into the stereotype that us Americans are lazy too. Because part of it is true. We can't be bothered to see what these guys are about. We just sit there and say "oh, he looks good, I'll vote for him" or even "Bah I can't be bothered to go and vote". Kinda sad, really.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

That's in line to what I am thinking. Learning to read isn't that hard, but once you understand how to read, knowing how to read is the hard part. It is very troublesome to read and not know what you're reading. If you don't know what you're reading you're going to be controlled by the media. The media will tell you what to do and what to think and it will control people's opinions for the elections! Maybe if we had a comprehension course in reading that people would know how to read, once they read.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

You beat me to the punch. Comprehension, exactly! A lot of people can read, but more often then not they've no idea what they're reading. You only have to take a look at some of the threads on here. People skimming through the first post is bad enough, but then you also have those who just don't get it.

Just take a look around here, you can see good examples of where comprehension fails. They're usually in threads with 3 pages or more. You'd have one poster saying one thing, another not getting and answering back on another issue, with the first poster repeating back what is said, and the second one not getting it again. It's so tiresome.

Comprehension in a nutshell is being able to read between the lines. And like spacedoubt implied, political double-speak is not helping the situation.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
There are many literacy campaigns out there. I can't think of any President that has ignored the importance of reading.

I don't personally know of anyone that is unable to read but I would guess that those who don't have the desire (or ability) to learn to read probably don't have the desire to watch Fox news or any other news program. It seems foreign to me but I am constantly reminded that there are many people out there that don't care about anything other than what is going on in their immediate environment.

I'm not really sure I understand the correlation between more people reading and our vote counting more. IMHO it's those who CAN read but choose not to that are the real challenge!

Jemison

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

I don't think they are ignoring the message but people don't want to read. People do not want to read because their standards are not high enough. Me, I love to read, I think that it's the counter to being dumb because when I read my mind is mentally stimulated and when I don't my mind isn't. I think that in what I am speaking about, they should have a campaign to give additional readings about subjects in school that are exciting, so that they can teach about a current issue, and about a past issue at the same time. Once they get people to read books, they'll be more prosed to vote correctly, rather than making a mistake not to.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If only more people took the time to Think For Themselves ...

... as opposed to blindly accepting that which they're spoon fed blurb by blurb during the 6 o'clock sNewz.

Nah ... that'd require too much effort and might interfere with American Idiot or their Fav Faux Survival Series.

As previously alluded to above, I think it's more an issue of apathy and complacency within the whole of our society. The way I see it, they're the most popular and favored American pastimes.

$.02

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Chiiru

The biggest reason for the apathy in elections is because one candidate is no better than the other. It won't matter if you vote either party, because they're almost exactly the same, with minor differences. The candidates start out saying they're going to do something, and then in a short time are making excuses for why they can't. It's the same no matter how you vote.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Yes, that's absolutely true. One of THE quotes which I think still holds true more than just about any other one out there is:

"Ignorance is Bliss"

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The acceptance of what's going on is more of an issue. I bet you if more people read here, that instead of watching about the issues on TV and talking about what's going on, people would be so sick and tired of what's going on and they would start their own political campaigns to try to get people to read more so that they can be more informed. The problem may be apathy, I mean, but we need to teach people the truth, and if you read the truth will be in you. By reading, you can learn about new concepts that you have never read before. In schools the reasons why people don't bother reading is more because they don't "think they have to" or they "do just as good without it". They should start requiring people to read even more, and so that them being good at a class, wouldn't help them do well. But in order to get people to care about it, they'll have to start forcing people to read and making it required.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Perhaps, comprehension is what needs to be taught.
Reading is one thing, but understanding what is being said, is another.

Frankly, an entire course on political double-speak is in order.

Hear, Hear!

I second the motion.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

Ignorance is bliss? If ignorance is bliss wouldn't more people be happy? Well, I agree... I think a lot of people are ignorant so they don't read because they can't handle the truth. You know what I am saying?

[edit on 1-9-2007 by Maverickhunter]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
So how do you know that people that don't read can't read? I know quite a few people that can read very well, but choose NOT to read the news or much, because they have other things they enjoy doing. I find it sort of offensive the way you're painting everyone with a rather broad brush. Not everyone likes to sit around reading the news or anything else, but that certainly doesn't mean they can't read. They also have the CHOICE of whether to vote or not, that doesn't mean they're ignorant or that they're illiterate. Apparently anyone who CHOSES not to vote, or read, or sit around discussing the news is ignorant.

[edit on 9/1/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Maverickhunter

Huh, that's a real good quote too. Lol.

Here's the thing though. When the quote asks why more people aren't happy, "happy" of course would refer to their home lives. Yes it is possible that if you don't know how to locate the U.S. on a world map, that you're dog could get run over by a truck.

Know what I'm saying? People won't research things because they're happy believing one thing, it's easier for them. I think that some are afraid to see that they're beliefs are wrong, so they choose to stay in the dark, conciously or subconciously aware of it.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maverickhunter
But in order to get people to care about it, they'll have to start forcing people to read and making it required.

Forcing them to read won't necessarily make then care, Mav.

When I was still doing construction there was a saying along the lines of the horse and water adage.
"You can lead a mason to mortar but you can't make them lay block."
... they have to want to.

For the most part, we all have the necessary tools available to us in order to expand our horizons and intellect, but a tool only works when it's used.

I can make you read, but how do I make you care?

The way I see it, that has to come from within. The same goes for education and learning. You can't teach someone who doesn't want to learn.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Yeah, that's what I am saying. The problem with most people is that they don't want to read. I think that people need to read, and I think that it shouldn't be something that people want. I think that in order to do well in this society it must perfect its ability to read. More people must be ready to read when the time comes and they must be able to pull through because of it. I am wondering how many people are actually able to understand the news when they read it in the newspaper, and how many more people know more about what news is on TV, than on the news in the newspaper since they'd rather get their news from the media then local newspaper outlets. People need to free their mind, and the only way they can do that, is by reading!

new topics

top topics

join