It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

metal/heavy metal/death metal.....any fans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
not me man....
i like MUSIC. i like melodic content. i look for certain things in the music i listen too.
i like 'heavy' riffs and things. i like blazing solo's...
i am NOT a fan of the metal though...

my tatto artist friend likes lamb of god....
that is just one off the top of my head....another one is dragon force(although herman li is pretty sick, even though i don't like what he plays)

so, what is your opinion on metal....music is subjective and thats why it is great.
for me though, i just don't like it...it doe not sound pleasing to my ear.
one of those generas i don't understand how people can listen to night after night...

every now and again i will toss on a little motorhead but to listen to that stuff constantly....dayum

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Back in the day (meaning about 5-7 years ago) it was metal all-day everyday.

Now, I listen when it suits my mood, or when there's a particular song that's stuck in my head. (Right now, Killswitch Engage "Last Serenade" is on my brain.)

Only when I need angry energy do I pop in some metal.

In fact, if you've got any suggestions as to some good music (and yeah, it's all subjective -- but I've cut myself off from the radios, so I don't know what's out there anymore), drop a line. I've been looking for new-to-my-ear...

latest find: Ani DiFranco

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
diseria, i don't listen to the radio either. i usually just listen to my collection.

also, most don't like what i listen too cause they think it is 'far out'....musically though, it's top shelf.

frank zappa would be my first recomendation. covers damn near every genere and was a genious.composed/recorded/played on/edited/and mixed more than 471 original songs so there is a wealth of material out there.
hot rats, zoot allures, we're only in it for the money, over nite sensation, shiek yer bouti, tinselltown rebellion would be good ones to start with..

that is 90% of what i listen to.

others stuff i like
buckethead--pretty heavy guitar...improvisation and virtuosity....if you like metal you should like the bucket.

jackson browne---singer songwriter/troubador from back in the day. beautiful music. political stuff..great guitarist named david lindley that works with him.

david lindley--multi instrumentalist..plays guitar, pedal steel, bouziki, ode, violin, etc....very rad

phish/trey anastasio----2nd fav guitarist in the world..a 'jam' band. trey is heavily influenced by zappa..lots of structured yet free form improvisations. lots of dexterity to control the feedback of his hollowbody...sick melodies and extended solo's.

hilary hahn--mid 20's violin virtuoso...'they' call her the most accomplished violinist to ever pick up th instrument, including the great paginni(sp)

anoushka shankar--sitar virtuoso. ravi's daughter..kinda the world music deal..simply amazing music.

norri bucci---up and coming female guitarist...plays on local joints in texas i think...youtube her and you'll pop up some stuff. she is amazing.

tony mcalpine--guitar and keys virtuoso...guess he fits into the progressive category..works with steve vai a lot.

eric johnson--another virtuoso..a madman when it comes to intonation and such...his music is beautiful.

gary moore--friggin sick 'blues' guitarist from the other side of the pond...hit him on youtube and check him out playing little wing/red house....it OWNS

now, other 'rock' stuff

again, FRANK ZAPPA..dream theater, allen holdsworth, dweezil zappa(i have to say here that i don't say that just because dweezil is franks son..dweezil is a monster man..i have seen him live twice and he melted it both times...very influenced by eddie van halen...sick with the tapping and such...i 'think' he is the future of rock guitar), mike keneally, mary black, the chieftans, CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, neil young, allman brothers, derek trucks, doyle brahmall III,...

like i said though, most of what i listen to is frank. i am a zappa maniac and have not even come close to hearing all his stuff yet, even though i have it.
he would chop as many as 12 songs upo and then edit them together to make one song. he had this whole conceptual continuity thing going on. many of his songs are upwards of 12 minute or more cause of the extended solo o rthat it is an instrumental. then you have albums like lumpy gravy that have no songs. it was a double sided album that was more of a 'sound collage'. then of course the jazz, blues, doo wop, and guitar only stuff. his orchestral works and the work he put out on the synclavier.
THEN, there are 30 years of live shows that are full of spontaneous playing and improv and it's enough to keep you busy for some time.
when i need to take a break though, i dive into some of the stuff i mentioned up there.

of course, i have gigs of stuff from robert johnson to the beatles to zepplin to tori amos but i don't listen to it much anymore.....

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Well I love metal. I'm very eclectic when it comes to music (I like swing, rock, electro, rap, etc) but metal is by far my favorite and the only one I can listen to extensively.

It took me a while to like death metal though (that growling is an acquired taste).

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The heavier it is , the more I like it.Enough said.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Whatever you consider Megadeth, Godsmack, Metallica and things like that to be... that's what I like.

But I also like disco and doo-wop babeh!

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Hell yes, for 30 years.

I can listen to just about any genre of music, but if i'm going to spend good money on a CD or going to see a band then it's
All Metal, All The Time for me.

I'm still recovering from my mates band playing friday night, my old bones are a bit bruised and battered. But it was worth every ache and pain.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mojo4sale

And believe you me... his band ROCKS!!!!!

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   
yes i love my metal, also love my punk rock. ill listen to basically any kind of metal out there a few of my favorite bands are motley crue, the berzerker, opeth, otep, iron maiden
, black sabbath
and gwar

as far as guitarists go im partial to abit of paul gilbert solo, scarified

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ivzm
a few of my favorite bands are motley crue, the berzerker, opeth, otep, iron maiden
, black sabbath
and gwar

Argh I love Opeth, definitely one of the best metal bands ever

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
not me man....
i like MUSIC. i like melodic content. i look for certain things in the music i listen too.
i like 'heavy' riffs and things. i like blazing solo's...
i am NOT a fan of the metal though...

So why not hunt down some metal with melodic content? theres a lot of metal subgenres that are just metal styles with melody, take melodic death metal for example. Perhaps symphonic metal would be your bag too?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
cant get enough of it. of course it has its limits. no marilyn manson freaky devil worshipping stuff. i love the stuff that gets you pumped- metallica, rage, godsmack et c.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I tend to like it, but I'm picky about my songs. I'm a huge Rammstein fan and I love Symphonic metal (Nightwish and Within Temptations, for example). I suggest you try to listen to some Symphonic Metal. It may change your opinion.

I don't usually like death metal, though; I dislike the death grunt. However, if they keep it to a minimum and don't have the whole song composed of death grunts, I can deal with it. I like a few Orphaned Land songs, for instance.

top topics

join