It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New NASA image of martian 'bottomless' pit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Hello

NASA has taken new photos of the so called bottomless pit on mars.

The 1st photo

The 2nd photo

An extremely dark feature on Mars is probably just a pit – not the entrance to a deep cavern that future astronauts could call home, a new image reveals.
The 150- by 157-metre feature was first noticed in an image taken by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter on 5 May 2007 using a camera called the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE).
Viewed from directly overhead, the dark spot showed no evidence of walls or a floor, leading some HiRISE scientists to suspect it was the opening to a cavern (scroll down for image).
That would have been exciting, since caves might be good places to search for life, as they offer protection from intense ultraviolet radiation from the Sun. Caves could also provide shelter for any future human visitors to Mars.
The new image, however, suggests the feature is just a vertical shaft cutting into the surface. Taken on 8 August from a different angle, the image reveals a wall on the feature's eastern
space.newscientist.com...

I really think there is more to it.
There is only 1 such hole on mars also here on earth they talk about caves in Hawai but also they aint like that.
What could make such a hole and leave no debri outside the crater?
What do you guys think?

Nando out!

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Hello

Some more links with photos and info.

source - uanews.org...
images - hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

Dark pits on some of the Martian volcanoes have been speculated to be entrances into caves. A previous HiRISE image, looking essentially straight down, saw only darkness in this pit. This time the pit was imaged from the west. Since the picture was taken at about 2:30 p.m. local (Mars) time, the sun was also shining from the west. We can now see the eastern wall of the pit catching the sunlight.

This confirms that this pit is essentially a vertical shaft cut through the lava flows on the flank of the volcano. Such pits form on similar volcanoes in Hawaii and are called "pit craters." They generally do not connect to long open caverns but are the result of deep underground collapse. From the shadow of the rim cast onto the wall of the pit we can calculate that the pit is at least 78 meters (255 feet) deep. The pit is 150 x 157 meters (492 x 515 feet) across.

Nando out!

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This is pretty interesting stuff, I member when the photos were taken directly
from the top, you had people trying to debunk it. Now it seems there actually
is a pit on mars. It is probably going to lead to more caves and such.
Nonetheless it is very interesting to see this!

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Hello. This is a very interesting story to follow.

I know this thread is presenting new information, and that is wonderful, I just wanted to let everyone know there is another informative thread about this as well.

It looks to me like this still may present a 'hiding' place for future space missions.

Dorian

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
hey, i bet a disc craft could fly easily into there!

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Here's a view of the Halemaumau Pit Crater, as seen from the Hawaii Volcano Observatory.

Pic courtesy: Virtually Hawaii

Check out the steep slopes. Now that Mars pit crater is more than 250 feet deep and probably the reason why there's no light reflection from the crater bottom. This makes it look like a bottomless shaft.

Cheers!

[edit on 8-9-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Good find. I hope that mars anomoly bozo is feeling stupid right about now. I remember reading huge blocks of texts on his website about how this hole is 100% edited and obviously so. Well I didn't buy it then and now there's 100% proof he doesn't know what he's talking about.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
There is already, an ongoing thread on this topic.

Please continue your comments Here

*Thread closed*

top topics

join