It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All countries must stay course in Iraq, Bush tells Brown

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   

All countries must stay course in Iraq, Bush tells Brown

news.independent.co.uk

The first signs of real divisions between George Bush and Gordon Brown over Iraq emerged as the President urged Britain to stay the course in the country.

The American President said: "We need all our coalition partners. I understand that everybody's got their own internal politics. My only point is that whether it be Afghanistan or Iraq, we've got more work to do."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Removed copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I find it quite annoying that an unpopular US President, with no mandate in the United Kingdom or Australia, thinks he has the right to tell our politicians what to do?

What gives him the authority to stick his unwanted nose in the Australian general election is beyond me.

news.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-9-2007 by infinite]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
These are very bleak times , when the departing president of the United States of America starts threatening the leaders of other countries not to leave the coalition of the paid

what next? leave the war and we nuke you? call you anti sematic? the game is afoot and bush has only a 7 high.

[edit on 1/9/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
In all fairness I don't think that Bush as overstepped the mark here . Rudd views on Iraq are well known and he will be meeting Bush at APEC. Its not like that Bush is or has told the Australian how they should vote. I'm no fan of but this is just my opinion this time round.

Infinite I like your avatar couldn't the slogan apply to Iraq ?

[edit on 1-9-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
In all fairness I don't think that Bush as overstepped the mark here .

He is telling elected leaders to ignore the political pressures at home in order to cool the pressure in the United States.

It's beyond over stepping the mark.

Infinite I like your avatar couldn't the slogan apply to Iraq ?

No, I want the British to leave Iraq straight away.

Saddam's dead, no weapons of WMD and we brought democracy.

Job done.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by infinite]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I think Rudd will tell Mr Bush ever so politely to naff off, or at least I hope he does.

We don't take kindly to US politicians making comments about the current governments policies Vs the opposition/future governments policies on any issue...

Haven't seen Australia do anything of the sort with a US election coming up or any other time, courtesy is a wonderful thing, methinks...

Peace

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Infinite it looks like that we will have to agree to disagree this one.
Related article.

"I would be glad to explain to him why I am optimistic that this hard work will achieve what we want, which is, you know, over time, fewer troops and peace."
Mr Rudd will be accompanied at the meeting by his deputy, Julia Gillard, and his foreign affairs spokesman, Robert McClelland.
Mr Rudd said he would tell the President that Labor intended to withdraw Australia's 550 combat troops from Iraq by the middle of next year. "Mr Bush and [John] Howard have their views on Iraq. We have a different view on Iraq," he said.

link

Bush is hardly going to say that he would support Rudd pulling Australian troops out of Iraq. IMO the coalition presence in Iraq is reaching the end of the line and just in Vietnam Australian forces may pull out before there American counterparts did.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rilence
Haven't seen Australia do anything of the sort with a US election coming up or any other time, courtesy is a wonderful thing, methinks...

Umm maybe you missed hearing about John Howard comment on internal US politics . You might want to check out the story linked below.

If I were running al Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008, and pray, as many times as possible, for a victory not only for Obama, but also for the Democrats," Howard said, speaking on "Sunday," a TV show on Australia's Nine Network.

March 2008 is when Obama has said he would bring U.S. troops home from Iraq, according to legislation he introduced in the Senate.

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 1-9-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   

In all fairness I don't think that Bush as overstepped the mark here .

In fairness, who the hell is Bush to tell anyone what to do. If we the UK decide to withdraw the troops, what is he gonna do about it??

He has overstepped the mark, he needs to keep his remarks to himself.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
He has overstepped the mark, he needs to keep his remarks to himself.

Ah, that would be the day ey?

The sad thing is, well probably do what he says, we've never went against him before and look where that's got us. Brown needs to sort his priorities out, he's either the same as Blair and a puppet, or he will actually end our involvement in this pointless war.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Hmmmmm...Howard made this remark IN SUPPORT OF Herr Bush...

How is that the same as attempting to influence the policies of the incoming government of another nation ?

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Howard comments concerning Obama have more to do with him ever being elected president or winning his party nomination rather then just Howard showing his support for his friend Bush.

Howard did interfere in an internal US political matter. If you want to tackle the matter in greater depth then check out sea rch results.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Fair call

In that case, neither Howard's earlier comments nor Bush's recent comments are acceptable...

At the end of the day, Australian troops will be out of Iraq during the northern hemisphere summer, and there's diddly squat Dubbya can do about it...

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
Brown needs to sort his priorities out, he's either the same as Blair and a puppet, or he will actually end our involvement in this pointless war.

It's obvious our involvement is coming to an end.

Brown has allowed many in the government to criticize the war and the United States, especially Lord Malloch-Brown (who is being sent as the Prime Ministers representative at the United Nations cause Brown cannot attend).

And if Brown is going to call an early election, the troops have to be out of Iraq to stop any anti-war vote damaging Labour.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:42 AM
link   
its all falling apart just leave you done enough damage british forces have moved from basra to the airport and the us forces were saying if the brits cant do it we will have to move in, and does anyone know how many countries there are in iraq currently?

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
You're right on the money, Manz

This situation has to end, on way or the other...Staying in order to "save face" is both pig-headed and just plain wrong

The US needs to start making serious efforts to reconstruct Iraq and Afghanistan...They cannot possibly eradicate the violence in Iraq, no matter how many troops or partners they have

Unfortunately, they have created a desperately unstable situation in a country where stability was the norm, pre war

They need to leave, and commit monies to rebuild what they have destroyed...I figure 200 billion US might go some of the way...Perhaps 75 billion to Afghanistan...

No, I don't have the much loved ATS "links" and so on to support the figures I've put forth....They are very much ambits, and plucked out of the air whilst thinking about what I see as realistic and reasonable...

I mean, look at the money the US coughed toward the rebuilding of Germany/Europe and Japan after WW2 ?

Those numbers I've mentioned are quite reasonable...

As to who oversees how and where this money is spent, I honestly don't know...

But it truly is time for the US to stage a staggered withdrawal from both countries over the next 18 mths or so...

Peace

[edit on 1-9-2007 by Rilence]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Sure guys, feel free to pull out. In 50 or so years, Great Britain will be a Muslim country regardless.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zenagain
Sure guys, feel free to pull out. In 50 or so years, Great Britain will be a Muslim country regardless.

Somehow I doubt it, its not even a Christian country now.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zenagain

Ummmm...In a word, no...

Neither GB, the US or Australia will "become a muslim country" regardless of what goes down in Iraq...

Peace

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rilence
You're right on the money, Manz

This situation has to end, on way or the other...Staying in order to "save face" is both pig-headed and just plain wrong

The US needs to start making serious efforts to reconstruct Iraq and Afghanistan...They cannot possibly eradicate the violence in Iraq, no matter how many troops or partners they have

Unfortunately, they have created a desperately unstable situation in a country where stability was the norm, pre war

They need to leave, and commit monies to rebuild what they have destroyed...I figure 200 billion US might go some of the way...Perhaps 75 billion to Afghanistan...

Peace

I don't know the answer as what we should do about Iraq. Unfortunately, colossal miscalculations and mistakes have left us in a lose-lose situation. So please do not misconstrue what I am about to write as being supportive of what has happened.

I take offense to the suggestion that we need to make reparations to either Iraq or Afghanistan. We have paid a horrible price in terms of human life. Our own military personnel have more than paid any debt you may feel we owe.

In each case, had the countries in question been willing to take control of their own affairs, none of this would have been necessary. In Afghanistan's case, they allowed the Taliban and AQ to operate within their borders.

In Iraq's case, they have shown themselves to fight for freedom. However wrong headed our actions may have been, had the people of Iraq wanted to escape tyranny badly enough, they would have been more willing to shed their own blood.

The loss of life of civilians is a terrible thing. But we owe them nothing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join