It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Large explosion in baghdad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
We're just recieving reports of a large explosion in or around the sheraton hotel in central baghdad.
UPDATE: 60 wounded and 20 dead from a car-bomb at the "Assassin's Gate" leading into the coalition "Green Zone" where many Iraqi's were waiting in line to go to their jobs.

(this story post has been modified since it was first posted)

[Edited on 18-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Oh no...Please don't give me American casualties without the Iraqi casualtiels...I'm getting sick of spin news. Who did it, why, where, what, when you need to answer.

Americans were killed. Ok. How many Iraqis terrorists were killed as a result of this bang in bagdad? Answer that, and I will listen...

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
ap.tbo.com...

Still no "Real" information other than the time and that it was near the Tigris River

[Edited on 17-1-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Yay! I beat AP breaking by 8 minutes

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I beat them by almost an hour about the Northwest Airlines Coverup Breaking News.

Actually I have seen a lot of posts on ATS before the Major News carriers have anything about them. Could ATSNN become the leading news authority????????

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Watching MSNBC right now. they are reporting that a CAR BOMB is responsible and it is near Coaltion Headquarters

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
CNN is now covering it. Man it looks bad.

---Matty (mattywhelz)

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Oh no...Please don't give me American casualties without the Iraqi casualtiels...I'm getting sick of spin news. Who did it, why, where, what, when you need to answer.

Americans were killed. Ok. How many Iraqis terrorists were killed as a result of this bang in bagdad? Answer that, and I will listen...

junglejake...why don't you go to aljazeera to get this information.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Pictures courtesy BBCNews

[Edited on 18-1-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Most of the casualties are Iraqis. Happy???

Here is a link for ya: AL Jazeera

Updated info:www.msnbc.msn.com...

[Edited on 18-1-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
CNN just confirmed through an AP feed that it was a suicide car bomb... a very large one.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
CNN reporter... (Sheila Mcvicar) A massive car-bomb at the south gate leading into the coalition "Green Zone". There was a long-line of Iraqi people waiting to get through the check-point when a car raced up and exploded at the gate. At least 15 Iraqi's dead at the scene, many more injured taken away. One man described his car being thrown forward at least 100 meters from the blast just after he was let through the gate. more... The area was known to be a very crowded area, typically filled with Iraqi people who come to work in the coalition buildings. This time of day especially is filled with locals arriving for work and showing ID to get in to their jobs. [Edited on 18-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
On the scene, Sheila Mcvicar has learned from Iraqi military sources on the scene that two U.S. soldiers most likely have been killed in the blast. More may be injured.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The area was known to be a very crowded area, typically filled with Iraqi people who come to work in the coalition buildings. This time of day especially is filled with locals arriving for work and showing ID to get in to their jobs.

Aiding occupiers is a violation of Islam.

In the minds of the attackers the ones working here were collaborators. They justify killing their peers because they are helping us.

The targets are not just the occupation. They include anyone who aids the occupation in any way.

The purpose is to end the occupation. Without collaborators occupational duties become a nitemare.

It may seem horrid, but to them it is required to reach the goal of expelling the invaders.

[Edited on 18-1-2004 by ArchAngel]

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
CNN is now reporting the official death-toll is 18 Iraqi's, and still no confirmation on the suspected 2 Americans. 22 Iraqi's are wounded. 2 American soldiers are wounded. 4 American civilians are wounded. Eye witness: Very strong explosion and bright red fireball that lifted his car 6 feet in the air. [Edited on 18-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
16 Iraqis
2 Americans Killed (civillian contracters)
28 Injured

All Reported by CNN, MSNBC, FOX

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Why does every ATSNN topic have to posted in every thread?!?!

[Edited on 25-11-1989 by Monk]

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monk Why does every ATSNN topic have to posted in every thread?!?!
Only "Alert" topics are visible in every forum, and "TopStory" topics in most forums.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
APnews.MyWay.com An Iraqi Governing Council spokesman, Hamid al-Kafai, said at least 20 people were killed and more than 60 were wounded. U.S. Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt said there were "indications" that at least two of those killed were American citizens. At least 28 people, including six Americans, were wounded, the U.S. military said. It appears as though ATSNN was the first online source breaking this story, thanks to Nerdling.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Reports are now saying 25 dead, 130 injured by the 1000-lb bomb, and that the numbers are expected to rise.
This now makes today's suicide attack the deadliest since the war began.

ABC news

top topics

join