It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BAALBEK - Who and how did they build it ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 09:10 AM
link   
What about building a pit in a small hill to slide the rocks in, then just remove the hill...

[Edited on 6-12-2002 by The Director]

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 01:11 PM
link   
youd have to be talking about one big 'small hill'

Did u see the size of some of those rocks?

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Here's some actual research on how the Easter Island stones were moved. Note that some methods used as few as one person per ton of material:

www.pbs.org...

(I'm not suggesting that any of these is correct -- only that you've viewing ancient man in terms of what you know today... and that you don't know how to use their tech or what its limitations are (probably most of you could not make an English longbow that would shoot as well or as far as the ones that Henry used at the Battle of Agincourt. This doesn't mean that you're stupid of the English had their bows made by aliens. It just means we don't know their tech.))

Nova had a team try out Dr. Tilberg's methods and the story starts here: www.pbs.org...

If you read through it, you see the conclusions (demonstrated) that six to eight families could have made and moved and erected the heaviest statues there. They used old tech (ropes and wood only) and human muscle. So yes, it's possible that a team of a thousand people could have moved immense slabs.

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 02:24 PM
link   
But those Baalbek stones are ten times as heavy as the Easter Island statues.

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Quite true. The stones ARE 10 times as heavy as Easter Island.

This is also the area of the world where the wheel was invented. A car weighs about 15 times as much as I do. But if you disengage the clutch, I can push a car.

If you turned it upside down and put it on a set of logs that rolled, two of us could push the car. That's what the Easter Island experiment showed... that it's possible for a small number of people to move tons and tons of material using logs as rollers.

(no, the logs wouldn't be crushed by the stone... weight distribution. Yes, you'd need 100 or more logs. Yes, the movement would be slow. But it's still doable by ancient technology.)

posted on Dec, 6 2002 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

This is also the area of the world where the wheel was invented. A car weighs about 15 times as much as I do. But if you disengage the clutch, I can push a car.

Only if the car is on a flat surface with no incline. The simple fact is the bigger something is the more energy is required to move it. This doesn't increase arithmatically but geometrically.

I also believe in South America somwhere, there is a block estimated to weigh 19000 tonnes which was somehow moved into place. Try using logs and ropes with that one.

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Also noted that the study incorporated the idea that they used what items the indigenous tribes had available. Did a some checking and according to a link the last time Easter Island had trees was in the 1800s. The article claimed that a recent attempt to introduce trees to the island failed. Which is unusual as if the island did have them in the past there would be no reason for them not to grow there naturally now.

The article gave no explanation as to what the problem was, but given the terrain I am not certain trees ever grew on that island. This being the case importing logs to the island would have been very difficult. As the type of boats used by Polynesians as well as South American Indians were very small. As well this Island is very isolated.

Would welcome any other input on this matter.

posted on Dec, 7 2002 @ 12:42 PM
link   
i found an article here:mysteriousplaces.com...

One paragraph reads :
"But there is a third origin story that as far fetched as it seems has scientific proof behind it. Around 1536 a Spanish ship, the San Lesmems was lost near Tahiti. Legends tell of the Basque survivors intermarrying with the Polynesians. Either they or their descendants set off from Tahiti to try and return home in the 1600's and were never seen again. Interestingly, genetic testing of pure blood Rapa Nui revealed the presence of Basque genes."

This could explain the white skinned red headed islanders as well as the question of how they got the logs for moving the statues, they could just used the ship to transport them.

Tho i think that its more likely that trees did once grow there, tho the species (i think thats the right word for trees) is extinct , and no other trees today can handle the soil/terrain/climate to grow there.

[Edited on 7-12-2002 by Ezekiel]

TN1

posted on Dec, 9 2002 @ 12:00 PM
link   
There are ways to lift and move a considerable amount of material but it could not exist 40-50 ton and with a considerable amount of effort .Therefore they should have been working for a day and rest for a week!!!
The answer is technology !
Technology might was more advanced than we thought to be ....Indeed there are indications that the human beings where in this planet long ago than it is thought ..
There is plenty of time for correction !!Very good topic !

TN1

posted on Dec, 9 2002 @ 12:00 PM
link   
There are ways to lift and move a considerable amount of material but it could not exist 40-50 ton and with a considerable amount of effort .Therefore they should have been working for a day and rest for a week!!!
The answer is technology !
Technology might was more advanced than we thought to be ....Indeed there are indications that the human beings where in this planet long ago than it is thought ..
There is plenty of time for correction !!Very good topic !

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join