It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armageddon Insurance: Scientist Call for Earth 'Backup' on Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Scientists hope to put a library of human civilization on the moon in case of a cataclysmic, civilization-annihilating event. It would protect against the wholesale loss of human achievement.

To protect against a nuclear bomb, a plague, a natural disaster, an asteroid collusion or some other doomsday event, scientists are lobbying to have a reserve library of human scientific and cultural achievements built and maintained on the moon.

Jim Burke, a retired long-time NASA expert now working at the International Space University in Strasbourg, France, warned that a doomsday asteroid or comet could annihilate global civilization and that something should be done to insure against the wholesale loss of human achievement.

src: www.spiegel.de...

"A space-age Noah's Ark" in the event that Earth is wiped out. Some aspects of mankind should be preserved on the other hand if the catasrophe is broad enough to impact the Earth it may well take out the moon, who really knows. If a Sampson complex unfolds this might be our time capsule.

brill

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Watch an asteroid crush the library on the Moon.

This is a stupid idea. Who is it for? The next "humans"? Aliens?

Yeah, here's what we humans did. We lived in caves. We finally figured out how to make fire and the wheel. So we progressed.

Then we had wars. We had some more wars. Oh, at this point in history - we had wars. We developed more weapons, killed more people in wars. We started making diseases as weapons for wars.

We killed each other through greed by starving, torturing, gasing, hanging, and beheading others - in war. Here's World War I. Some down time. Yay. Oh look, World War II. Here we used "the bomb" as we called it. It kills hundreds of thousands at a time.

We had a nuclear arms race - for war of course. Then we had some war, and more war, war again.

Then our final generation's version of the Roman Empire attacked itself, which sent the world into a third World War where we all destroyed each other.

Hope you're all impressed. Bye.

We're a disgrace to life and I hope we leave behind no trace. Every skeleton, every building, every paper, every thing needs to be reduced to absolutely nothing. That's the most we deserve.

[edit on 8/31/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Earth has the incredible abilty to level everything and everyone, and even the most scheming manipulators of religion as well as North Atlantic globalists will not escape.

It has happened before. It will happen again. And on.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
Watch an asteroid crush the library on the Moon.

This is a stupid idea. Who is it for? The next "humans"? Aliens?

Yeah, here's what we humans did. We lived in caves. We finally figured out how to make fire and the wheel. So we progressed.

Then we had wars. We had some more wars. Oh, at this point in history - we had wars. We developed more weapons, killed more people in wars. We started making diseases as weapons for wars.

We killed each other through greed by starving, torturing, gasing, hanging, and beheading others - in war. Here's World War I. Some down time. Yay. Oh look, World War II. Here we used "the bomb" as we called it. It kills hundreds of thousands at a time.

We had a nuclear arms race - for war of course. Then we had some war, and more war, war again.

Then our final generation's version of the Roman Empire attacked itself, which sent the world into a third World War where we all destroyed each other.

Hope you're all impressed. Bye.

We're a disgrace to life and I hope we leave behind no trace. Every skeleton, every building, every paper, every thing needs to be reduced to absolutely nothing. That's the most we deserve.

[edit on 8/31/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

You make a good point, however I think it's a good idea nevertheless. It provides a chronicle to future intelligence of what not to do. Truly as the Bible says we are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God. Nothing proves this more than the wash of greed and bloodshed that permeates human history. That story should be told to any who may survive what is coming. Last time I read the back of my Bible, that will be very few.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

N.O.M...think ouside of the box you have chosen to live in!

We have sent Voyager and Pioneer probes to the farthest corners of the solar system, seen the oceans 5 miles-deep, beaten-back and eradicated the boundaries of disease and illlness through social and medical engineering, designed power-plants to supply an entire city of millions by a single, harnessed fission and soon fusion reaction...we can't allow our millenia's digital 'Library of Alexandria' to be at risk of destruction

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

I tend to agree it may be the -next- civilization that rises up out of the cosmic extinction that turns out to be TRULY great.

Gone will be all these notions of 'great religious leaders' and multiple concepts of 'supreme beings' and the idea that we are separate and have only warlike impulses.

Now, for those that insist, maybe the Supreme Being (Alanis Morissette) will send a new 'Jesus'. But He might have a different name, or be 'female'.

If the new beings look like intelligent Dolphins, then 'she' will have a tail and fins.

(Hmm, that whole 'religion' thing is looking kinda silly about now)

I'd like to see a new 'dominant' sentient race that has the best aspects of humans, dolphins, elephants and birds. The creativitiy of humans, the across species empathy of dolphins, the caring family bonding that we see in elephants and the beauty and ephemeral nature of birds. Add to this the filial bonds as strong as the swan, who once mated never leave each other unto death do them part.

That would a 'sentient being' truly worthy of admission into the Galactic Internet.

Having said that, I think Man is pretty cool too, though I'd suggest that it's our art and emotion that sets us apart and our 'technology' pales beside the great works of art and music and architecture and above all our ability to LOVE.

Just a thought.

[edit on 31-8-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

We developed nuclear weapons, we have a continent full of disease and starvation, we kill people we don't agree with, we kill for money, land, power, and resources, we invent diseases like AIDS, our health industry puts diseases and deadly chemicals in our vaccinations, we invent tracking devices to plant in humans, we kill animals for fun, we consume everything, we allow our leaders to kill our people then take away our freedoms, we allow mass genocide to go on in countries, we enslave each other for political purpose, and applaud and award people who call for the extermination of 90% of humans.

Power plants, seeing the bottom of oceans, and sending probes through our Solar System are hardly good reasons to preserve evidence that we even existed. We truly are disgusting. What other known species kills members of another species or their own species for pleasure?

Its sad that the first day of world peace since humans came into existence will be the first day we're all dead.

[edit on 9/1/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
hmmm i like the moon idea alot but i mean terraforming a couple planets would be amazing like the moon and mars but i mean in the event something bad would happen to earth i'm sure anything else would follow

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
Power plants, seeing the bottom of oceans, and sending probes through our Solar System are hardly good reasons to preserve evidence that we even existed. We truly are disgusting. What other known species kills members of another species or their own species for pleasure?

And the varying creative expressions and cultures of humanity were just a 'filler' for the times between wars?

Anyway I like the sound of a Library worthy of eternity. Sounds poetic, no?

And for the naysayers of humanity on this thread, why not, if we are to die in a nuclear holocaust or other such apocalyptic reason, create the Library as a warning to future sentient species? As a poignant reminder that no sentient species should fall into extinction due to the egos of its supposed 'leaders'?
I mean, if we are to annihilate ourselves in the end, why not leave 'something' behind to prevent others from making the same mistakes 'we' did?

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I think its a brilliant idea.
Image, should earth be wiped out..... for centuries a 'time-capsule' complete of our race could lay silent in a room on the moon.

If aliens do exist... we will always be remembered!

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
If aliens do exist... we will always be remembered!

Not if there's hundreds and thousands of intelligent life species out there that have accomplished more than us.

Well, I take that back. We'll be remembered as failures.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I think this is just some kind of propaganda to get us accustomed to the idea of colonies of people living in space. According to John Lear, there's already colonies of people on the moon, and Mars, and some other planets I think. Sorry but I just don't trust the mainstream media at all.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by annestacey]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
i think leaving a message to future life if not for a back up of our own technology would be a great idea. even if we bomb ourselves back to the bronze age, at least we will have sent out a beacon of sorts (to someone/something) in good gesture.

[edit on 12-05-2006 by zooplancton]

new topics

top topics

join