It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reguarding the John Titor nonsense.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I just discovered John Titor's story yesterday, and read every post of his within the past twenty-four hours and although compelling.... there are some flaws in his story that can't make me believe it is even remotely the truth. First of all, and this is one that bugs me the most: Every major date mentioned in his future history dialogue is a major date in many different "time travel" related movies of the late 20th century. Coincidence, I think not.

2015: The year of the third world war... just happens to be the year Marty McFly travels to in Back to the Future 2. I like how Titor mentioned that a sports almanac was not standard issue for his unit, or something to that effect. What was the major cause of the divergence of Marty's worldline? A sports almanac.

2036: The year which John Titor supposedly comes from. A world as which he basically describes as being semi-utopian despite having many adverse environmental problems.... just so happens to be the same year that JOHN Spartan, played by Sylvestor Stallone, wakes up from Cryo-sleep in Demolation Man. Spartan awakes to a semi-utopian world with the only major problem being oppression that is unseen by the general masses, and eventually leads to rebellion and liberation. Sound familiar?

1998(7): The supposed year of John Titor's birth also bothers me for several movie reasons. First of which, in Demolition Man, just so happened to be the year at the beginning of the movie where social structure was beginning to break down and crime was running rampant. Second of which, happens to be a year off, but also is pertinent for several reasons. 1997 happens to be the year that Skynet comes online and proceeds to eliminate a good portion of the human race through, oh I don't know.... nuclear holocaust. Again, sound familiar? Leaving a large amount of the earth inhabitable. Oh and how long into the future did the terminator from Judgement day come from... 35 years, which would put it on track with when JOHN Conner was leading the human resistence, and would send a terminator back in time to protect his younger self. About the same time the government would have been working on time travel devices to send JOHN Titor back in time in his scenario, and what does he do after picking up and outdated computer, but go and hang out with himself.
Which in and of itself poses a number of interesting questions. He seemed to like to go on and on about his moral and ethical code as far as being a time traveler, refusing to spit up anything that would any concrete credence to his case. But had absolutely no problem hanging about for the better part of year or so in our timeline irrevocably polluting it by the very nature of his presense. He said that anything he did here would not affect his timeline, and wouldn't give us anything concrete to alter our own for the better. But he certainly stayed long enough for the damage of his mere presense to do extreme damage to our "worldline," where were his ethics then? When he decided he would hang out for a bit because he happened to like it here.
He says there really is no good or evil in his opinion, because in the end the multi-verse balances out in a quasi-yin-yang style. Yet he likes to mention that there are definately good and bad decisions, and hanging out with you younger self and irrevocably polluting another world-line just for the fun of it, after his mission was accomplished certainly sounds like a selfish, self-serving bad decision. So if he was real, he was an asshole.

Finally, the last thing that truly bothers me is that he could go on for an eternity about quantum mechanics and how time travel works, how his world differs and minute details of the changes in the constitution, and seemed to have remarkable comprehensive skills, but when asked a simple self explanatory question reguarding racial-mixing he couldn't even begin to answer it. So I hereby dub him Time Bastard.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Wow, i never picked up all that! I already thought it was a hoax but you just provided us with yet more evidence! Too much there to be a coincidence with all these movies. Well done!

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Of all of the attempts I've seen to debunk Titor over the years, this has to be about the looniest. So.....had those movies not been made, would it then be LESS likely to be a hoax? Although I highly doubt that the guy was a time traveler, you're going to have to do a whole lot better than that.....

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zenagain

Had these movies not been made, would John Titor have even posted that BS about being a time traveller? :-P

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The whole situation is looney. The fact that some of the more important dates set forth by Mr. Titor just happen to corespond to dates in movies about time travel is pretty strange if you ask me. Too many to be a coincidence in my opinion. Sometimes a "looney" conundrum requires an equally "looney" explanation.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

Thought you may find this link helpful.....or even amusing

www.youtube.com...

enjoy!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Had these movies not been made, would John Titor have even posted that BS about being a time traveller? :-P

Were he to take his cue from media, I think it's more likely he drew from Alas Babylon by Pat Frank (Book), Cyberpunk 2020 and Gurps (Rolepaying games) along with several movies that weren't mentioned by the OP. This has all been discussed ad nauseum in other places for years.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Haha, looks like someones had enough of anything to do with John Titor

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
John Titor's story is very much like the book "Alas, Babylon".

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
All of this is a good possibility... reguardless of whether or not you agree with my reasoning in this instance, all of you are in essence preaching to the choir, as it were. May main point is that the dates were coincidental enough for the BS flags to go flying high. If you want to subscribe to other sources of his highly interesting story more power to you. He was obviously an intelligent person who decided to string people along... he more than likely pulled from a number of sources to create this imaginary future world in which he was supposedly a denizen of.

P.S.- The youtube vid was quite amusing.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Thanks for liking my little analysis at least. It's appreciated Oz.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   
how many time travel movies do you think where made?? you can pick time line from any movie and put into your theories... i'm not saying that titor is true, but you can't just pick dates off movies and compare it to his story... there are plenty of timetravel movies out there that would have similar ideas of how time travel work.. even books

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
You know you have a point there. There is enough movies, books, short stories in general that there are a number of things that could match up even if he were actually telling the truth. Though there are many smaller issues about why I couldn't possibly believe him, which I touched on near the end of my rant. I just couldn't help but think of the pertinence of those dates in other popular time travel mythos. Not only were so many other things discussed about John, but I just thought it was angle worth looking at, simply because know one had put the idea forth before.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Maybe someday this thread will be continued.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Someone said maybe someday this thread will be continued well the day is know. I have some new info on the John Titor matter.
I went to whitepages.com and did a search. www.whitepages.com... _with=1&firstname=John&name=Titor&street=&city_zip=&state_id=&localtime=survey

This what it shows:
John Titor
[undisclosed] N Castle Dr
Armonk, NY

.Job title: Engineer
Company: IBM

Is this any concidence that this John works for IBM as an engineer. I am not sure if this the same guy but there is a John Titor out there. Maybe this guy was bored with his life so he made up this story to get some attention?

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Maybe this guy was bored with his life so he made up this story to get some attention?

It is generally accepted by all by the last few holdouts that this is the case. If not this guy, somebody. His "predictions" while amusing to read have fallen well short of any sort of respectable "time deviation".

We were supposed to be well into Civil War by now.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

No kidding, besides wich, according to him he'd still be a kid, much to young to be working at IBM.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

Guys.It was a joke. " John Titor. " Okay, " John "was civilization's saviour in Terminator....and if you take out the " ERM " and " NA " you are left with........ " Titor. " John Titor. It was a joke.

[edit on 9-6-2008 by romantic_insomniac]

top topics

join