It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coaches Suspended for Drinking on the Field

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

CALHOUN FALLS, S.C. -- School officials said they have suspended four football coaches at Calhoun Falls High School after they were caught drinking on the field.

“What were they thinking out there?” said sophomore Justin Gilchrist. “They were making a bad decision.”

Officials said the coaches had just finished painting lines on the field on Thursday for the game on Friday night. To cool off, the coaches started drinking some beers.

www.foxcarolina.com...

A very poor decision by some individuals that were entrusted to be role models to their student/athletes. This can be viewed as a very stiff punishment, but I am ecstatic to see any sort of educational institution finally take a stance that does not allow any student/athletes to march through their years as if they own the place.

With the salaries of professional athletes these days, our "future stars" are being groomed from grade school. Even as young as high school, they walk through the halls with the ego's of a hall of famer. It's unfortunate, as it will ultimately be their downfall on most occasions.

Time and time again we read of articles where an athlete was let off the hook, simply to solidify the strength of the sport season. To think of any program firing four coaches during the season, it's not going to work too well on their season. But winning isn't the most important thing, and the administration here has made damn sure that they make everyone involved aware of this.

Kudos to them.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Agreed, as you said, Kudos to them...

As someone who never had the slightest interest in sports anyway, it's especially aggravating for me to see anyone get special treatment in school just because they're associated with sports. That goes for students and administration alike.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
That was pretty stupid, all right. At first, I was thinking that perhaps the field was not on campus, but in fact it was, and drinking on game day isn't too smart either, if they were to be on the sidelines.

We Americans need to get our priorities straight. Sports exist to help build strength, stamina, and character, which can improve not only the individuals who compete, but the communities they help to form.

That's the way it's supposed to be anyway.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Grady? I'm totally with you on this

"How do these so-called teachers get away with things?"

top topics

join