It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Use Tazer On Women who is 8 months pregnant

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by section8citizen
Why are there so many articles about police abusing their authority?

Give anyone enough power, and they will abuse it, whether they be doctors, politicians, or police. Being a police offer doesn't make you immune to being power-hungry.

Why so many cases where police officers abuse their spouse?

Link those cases please.

How can your reasoning explain

Passing a mental evaluation does not guarantee the cop won't lie or be dishonest. It's a mental evaluation, not a lie detection test.

Please enlighten me to why an officer who abuses a citizen has a 99.8% chance of NOT receiving any meaningful discipline?

Many cops are suspended with or without pay while an investigation is conducted. Look at government jobs and you will see that firing someone in that position is very hard to do.

NASA does testing also but we have all heard about the astronaut love triangle case haven't we?

One instance out of how many astronauts? If you expect NASA to hire robots who have no human feelings including jealousy, then you're going to have to wait a few years.

[edit on 3-9-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

You sound a lot like a you are flip flopping on the issue. In your last post you were saying we should all be logical and there was NO WAY that a police officer would do such a thing knowingly. Now you say they abuse there powers like anyone else. So in this case which is it? Is this officer abusing his authority or not? Is this officer out of line or not? I do not mean to sound rude and if I am I apologize, but this looks like some serious flip flopping.

Most of my last few post were mainly directed at others postings, but if you want sources about Police who abuse their significant others, just google it. It is not a secret issue and has been around for years. It is one of the issues where most people say that the cops just protect their own.

Yes there are officers who have been fired, as well as disciplined. However when you compare it to the number of complaints they are few and far between, and that is only the cases that actually get reported or where the officers actions were so horrible that it had to be exposed. Does anyone remember the immigrant from Haiti who was sodomized with a toilet plunger and beaten almost to death while in the custody of the NYPD? If it wasn't for the fact that he was about to die, no one would have known about it, but instead they HAD to take him to a hospital and they hospital reported it while the NYPD made up excuse after excuse for what had happened.

Police are not saints. Some are good, some are NOT and this cop is one of the bad ones. I actually caught this story again tonight on CNN. Even the talking heads could not justify this cops actions, and even made fun of the cops excuse that he didn't know she was pregnant. It was obvious to the talking heads just as it is to me. I also got a better look at the women... her belly is HUGE. There is no possible way he could have missed it. Interesting to note....even the talking heads reported that she was "trying to break up a fight that her son was involved in" not that she was actually fighting herself. It was also reported that the cop "thought" she was going to hit him, not that she did hit him or attempted to hit him. Only that he THOUGHT she would. Let's face it, the talking heads are very careful with the language they use and the way they are reporting this story speaks volumes.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Having read this forum for years without posting,I had to reply to this post.
There are many cases of the abuse of this weapon and yes it is a weapon!

www.11alive.cohttp...://www.commondreams.org/views05/

www.saveourcivilliberties.org...

brownwatch.squarespace.com...

I hope these help,they are just a few of the many I have found!
We must always remember that those in places of power fear those
who are not!

[edit on 3-9-2007 by firstamerican]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I do not think this is a cop bashing thread. This is a thread about a woman who was tazered. She was 8 months pregnant. Once was not good enough so she got tazered twice.
My question is where was this cops mind when he tazered this woman?
What about the unborn child rights? Was he thinking of the unborn child or his own safety?
Women in general are victims because we allow ourselves to be victims. No one is to blame but ourselves when we allow this crap to go on.

Will she stand for her rights? What about the babies rights? What about the cop who done this outright unjustified abuse on an unborn child?

I question whether police even have a line drawn mentality aspect anymore. We may never know the outcome of this.
I, however have grown from it.

Cops are not like I remember them 20 years ago.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   

In your last post you were saying we should all be logical and there was NO WAY that a police officer would do such a thing knowingly. Now you say they abuse there powers like anyone else. So in this case which is it? Is this officer abusing his authority or not?

Officers are not immune to abusing their powers, correct, but did it occur here? Not in my opinion. You may view it as a police officer who tazed her while knowing she's pregnant, but you have to place yourself in the officer's shoes.

Though the article is only a few sentences long, I can already surmise that there was only one officer, being called into to stop a fight involving two males. The mother claims he went towards her son to stop the fight. So look at it from the officer's perspective: You have to subdue two males, then a woman comes running to you to. What is your plan of action? Officers have to react quick, because of the danger of their job. Should he have waited to see what the woman does?

The officer didn't wake up one day and seek out to taze pregnant women that day. What would be the point of him doing this intentionally, while knowing she's pregnant? Would he want to risk losing his job, jail time, and even a murder sentence?

Now lets look at it focused on the mother. She was tazed once, but ask yourself, what would she be doing to get tazed again? If she had only tried pulling her son away, then there would be no need for being tazed again. The only reason she would get another tazer shot would be if she had charged the officer a second time. This gives more weight to the theory that she was indeed trying to attack the officer.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Before too many start rolling on the all cops are pigs hatefest, lets look at a few things commonly overlooked here.

Lets just assume common sense (sometimes a stretch with some members here) and assume not all cops are bad.

Do you really think that these other examples of copdom are operating under their own accord? When you see a trend of what seems like free for all taserings coming from a general area, do you think it might be safe to assume that this behavior is being relayed from one or two layers up the leadership chain?

Its been said and shown before that increasingly so, the police are becoming, through training, and attitude,a paramilitary force. At the same time, for the most part, cops are generally led to believe that if hey are there, theres criminals there, and anyone can be a criminal, even old ladies, and apparently, 5 year olds. They are being trained and taught to act in an increasingly aggressive manner, as anything can be a danger, whether its present or not.

The cops aren't our best and brightest. If you want to take it further, they're in a job where they have their name on their shirt. Yes kids, this is Joe sixpack with a badge.

In this day and age, it seems like cops would be more afraid to put any kind of hands on a person for fear of lawsuit than use a tool thats classified for them as non/lessthan lethal.

I think that giving police less than lethal weapons, without modified rules of engagement for them is folly. I think that having a weapon that doesn't kill someone dead, encourages its use.

Cops only know what they're told. They aren't about to take it upon themselves to see if their orders conflict with an individuals rights.

If you think that with a cops pay, stress level, etc will cause him to put himself in harms way to protect you, you're either nieve, deluded or have a teenagers idealism. Its not their duty, job, etc to take lumps even if that is an accepted cost of doing business. Lets face it, that adds up over the years.

I still think the cop drastically overreacted in this manner.

I think this will get spun into an anti cop thing from the news, and facts will be distorted/omitted, etc to suit.

What am I saying here? The cop isn't solely to blame most likely, so lets find the root cause here, and not just play the convenient blame game.

What did the woman do to end up getting tasered twice?

if tasers are supposedly harmless, falling violently to the ground in a spasm surely isn't.. which I guess would be why during the cops supposed training, they have 2 officers there to catch them.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Personally I think if the cops stop you and you don't comply, they should just shoot to kill. Who cares if this bimbo was prego........if she lost the brat just one less welfare check...........

I am against Tazers too. Shoot to kill........Law and Order the effective way.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Yet again more brutality from the fascist state police who have been told that joe public is the enemy and should be treated as such. The first rule of a police force is to protect peoples rights, their safety and their property, not to go around like armed thugs.

I have seen news reports where children have been severly man handled for skate boarding and when passers by comment on such actions they themselves are attacked by the police, welcome to monkey face's police state.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
The first rule of a police force is to protect peoples rights, their safety and their property, not to go around like armed thugs.

The first RULE of police FORCE is to protect the public from thugs. The second amendment is to protect the rights of the citizens from the police thugs.......

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   

the police are becoming, through training, and attitude,a paramilitary force.

No American law enforcement agency meets the definition of paramilitary according to the International Police Association.

Compared to police in most of the world, US cops are the least paramilitary. If our cops are paramilitary then what is the People's Armed Police in China, the Carabineros de Chile, the Carabineri in Italy, Gendarmerie in French and French speaking countries, the former DDR Volkspolizei, etc?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
Though the article is only a few sentences long, I can already surmise that there was only one officer, being called into to stop a fight involving two males. The mother claims he went towards her son to stop the fight. So look at it from the officer's perspective: You have to subdue two males, then a woman comes running to you to. What is your plan of action? Officers have to react quick, because of the danger of their job. Should he have waited to see what the woman does?

Now lets look at it focused on the mother. She was tazed once, but ask yourself, what would she be doing to get tazed again? I

[edit on 4-9-2007 by DJMessiah]

Ok we are in agreement that it is easy to assume from the article that the officer was alone. However that may be where our agreement ends. Yes he was called in to stop a fight between two TEENAGED males, but where do you get the impression that this women ran up to the officer while he was separating the men? From every article I read (most of which are linked to this thread already) every indication is that when the officer arrived on the scene, the mother was already involved and trying to break up the fight. If that is the case, this officer never had anyone run up on him! As far as your question of should he wait.... in the example you describe I would say yes. He should direct his attention to her, instruct her to stay back, and keep an eye on her until he KNOWS what her intentions are, not what he thinks may happen, not what he feels may happen, but what he KNOWS.

Can you even begin to imagine what this country would be like if all police officers just tazed people preemptively? How is this example any different than an officer pulling you over for speeding, then instead of coming to the window to question you, he tazed you for reaching into the glove box. Granted he does not know what you are reaching for, but it could be your insurance and registration, so shouldn't he wait to find out? It is the same thing with this case.

Now your second question.... I thought long and hard about this since I posted this story on here. Why the second tazing? First off, the interviews I have seen all indicate that the type of tazer used was a hand held tazer. NOt the type of tazer that shoots the prongs. The first hit was on the shoulder. Now from the interview I saw the women points to her shoulder to illustrate where she was hit. She points to the back part of the deltoid which would indicate that she was tazed with her back turned to the officer. So the first question you have to ask yourself is, if she was attempting to hit or attack this officer, why would she have her back to him? Again this would indicate the women was already involved when the officer arrived on the scene. Still, why the second shot? A second tazing can also be justified by police if you are not complying with a direct order given to you by the officer. It would seem to me that that if I had been tazed for breaking up a fight, I would be pretty ticked off and I imagine this women was also, and also very scared because of her condition. If she was order to lie down on the ground and did not comply, she would be tazed again. If she was ordered to lie down on the ground and did not comply fast enough, she would be tazed. That is standard procedure. Even if she was ordered to lie down, and did not do so right away to explain that she can't because SHE IS pregnant, she could and would be tazed again for not complying with a direct order. The general mentality of a cop is to make you comply and they can figure it all out later once the situation is controlled to their satisfaction. This second shot was to the stomach, which would indicate the officer was in front of her. This creates a problem for two reason. 1) If he was in front of her he would have seen she was pregnant. 2) This is a hand held tazer, not a prong shooting tazer. He had to make contact to use the tazer. Which means he touched her belly so there is NO WAY he can say "I didn't know she was pregnant". If you touch her belly you are going to KNOW she is pregnant. It is very large and appears very solid and hard. Which is generally how it gets when petite women are 8 months pregnant.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by astmonster
Personally I think if the cops stop you and you don't comply, they should just shoot to kill. Who cares if this bimbo was prego........if she lost the brat just one less welfare check...........

I am against Tazers too. Shoot to kill........Law and Order the effective way.

#1. Shot to kill for not stopping? That is just absolutely the most asinine thing I think I have ever seen posted on ATS.

#2. Who cares if she is pregnant? What if it was your mom? Your sister? I would bet that you'd care than. This kind of remark is flat out ignorant.

#3. Who cares if the bimbo was prego? Well I for one do care. Secondly what gives you the right to sit here and judge someone you do not know and call her a bimbo? How would you feel if someone who doesn't know your mother called her a bimbo while she was pregnant with you?

#4. If she lost the "brat" it would be one less welfare check? This women is carrying a BABY not a brat. A BABY that can not defend itself, can not speak out for itself, can not tell you when it is in pain, hurt, hungry, tired, it is helpless. Next, how do you know this women is on welfare or that this baby will be getting a welfare check? Is this something you know as fact or is it simply you continuing to be judgmental? Could your remarks possibly be motivated by race? New flash: Not all black people are on welfare and it is your close minded view of people that gives the rest of American society a bad name.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by astmonster

And I think your remarks are full of ignorance, stereotypes and racism, I have an open mind to debate with everyone, but you should be banned from this site just on your ignorance alone.

Deny ignorance indeed, what makes you think that she was on welfare buddy? No need to reply I know what you thinking, it was the color of her shoes right?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by section8citizen

I am still looking for a video link but I think this may be a case of racism. I can just see it.

First of all, unless those fighting neighborhood kids had knives or guns, and it was one on one, and no one was getting curbed, there was no need to use a taser on them, or the woman.
If the woman was pregnant, she shouldn't of gotten involved, but just reaching for the kid wasn't a reason to tase her either. Unless those kids fighting were teenagers, there was no reason he couldn't break them up without using a weapon.
This cop is just a coward and trigger happy.
I can't believe they said his actions were justifiable.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

You said some of the things I was thinking myself.

I am still a bit shocked at what I read. It really was the last thing I expected to see here on ATS.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This is not racism. This is a cop who is not worthy to be a cop.
The unborn child is not a "brat"
That one really bothered me.

Racism is that one race believes they are more superior then the other... This not the case here.
This so called cop acted out. Not in the line of defense because the suspect never was armed. She is 8 months pregnant. The law is to protect the lives of even the unborn. A child in the womb of a woman is not a brat.

A child in the womb is a miracle. A cop in uniform with a gun and name tag is a mistake waiting to happen. In this case. Cops will be cops. All cops are not ugly folks. Neither are all doctors and ambulance workers.
However they all are and do have the mind to think I would hope.

This cop DID not think! He played God plain and simple.
A child who had no one except the angels to get them through this.

Watch these videos about what really is going on.

www.youtube.com...

This happens everyday people.
www.youtube.com...

Cops are not without their own faults. I am so positive about this.
Sad but very true.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by Vikki]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   

#3. Who cares if the bimbo was prego? Well I for one do care. Secondly what gives you the right to sit here and judge someone you do not know and call her a bimbo? How would you feel if someone who doesn't know your mother called her a bimbo while she was pregnant with you?

I'm so glad you said this. Who are ALL of you to sit in judgement of ANY officer then? NONE of you have what it takes to put on the uniform when all you do is talk bad about officers. Sure they do bad things just like anyone.....but take a moment and imagine this country without the police....its already becoming a S-hole thanks to the attitudes of Americans and the youth these days.....

Oh and whether its wrong or not..what is the scumbag mother doing fighting at 8months prego? Oh thats right...Moms can kill their own babies anytime they want in the US. I forgot...anyone who kills a baby is a murderer unless the mom decides to microwave it, flush it, throw it in a dumpster, or visit the doctor and have it killed...then its freedom of choice.....this country is definitly becoming sad...but not because of the police...LOOK IN THE MIRROR!

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by shadow_soldier1975

This country is sad alright. Not because of the police, not because of the guy I'm looking at in mirror either. It is because of attitudes like yours. No one here is bashing ALL POLICE. We are however bashing THIS COP and rightfully so. You obviously have not researched this at all. Show me where it says this women was fighting? Every report I have seen says she was breaking up the fight, not actually fighting herself.

Who am I to sit in judgment of these officers? A Taxpayer. His boss! The man who works so that this officer has a job and can get paid and support his family doing his job. It is my right and my duty to look at these situations and make sure the cop did his job and did not overstep his authority. It is the job of any Patriot. No one is saying get rid of the police, no one is saying we don't need the police. What we don't need is THIS one officer who can taze a women who is 8 moths pregnant...twice.

Oh and whether its wrong or not..what is the scumbag mother doing fighting at 8months prego? Oh thats right...Moms can kill their own babies anytime they want in the US. I forgot...anyone who kills a baby is a murderer unless the mom decides to microwave it, flush it, throw it in a dumpster, or visit the doctor and have it killed...then its freedom of choice.....this country is definitly becoming sad...but not because of the police...LOOK IN THE MIRROR!

Well I already covered the "scumbag mother" fighting angle... she wasn't fighting. Maybe you should look into it yourself or maybe READ THE THREAD and you would have known that. However can you show me JUST ONE news article or Court Document that says that Microwaving a baby, flushing a baby or putting a baby in a dumpster is considered "Freedom of Choice"? I'm not sure where you live, but in the USA that is still considered murder. Abortion is legal if the procedure is performed within a certain time frame from conception. Throwing a baby in a dumpster is not.

Pretty funny to note that you seem all about protecting the rights of a child, yet you find it ok that a police officer would electracute a women who is due to give birth in 30 days.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
reply to post by astmonster

And I think your remarks are full of ignorance, stereotypes and racism, I have an open mind to debate with everyone, but you should be banned from this site just on your ignorance alone.

Thank God that you arent in a position to stifle debate, as you just said that you would.
The first thing that someone who is in danger of losing a debate does, is try to shut down the other side.

Happens alot.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Why is an eight month pregnant women giving a police officer a reason to use a tazer in the first place?

Don't tell me the cop went up to her and tazed her for a good laugh. Did you know that most of cops get tazed themselves in the academy when learning how to use it, they know how it feels to be on the recieving end. They also know they will have to account for using it and then if they knew the woman
was pregnant... Thats a career derailer if the cop was acting improper.

Also if a cop doesn't have a tazer, he has a gun or some kind of club. You choose, I'd take the tazer over a gun or club.

And again what is the pregnant woman thinking. If the cop is wrong then he or she is wrong acting up is not going to solve anything, except put you and your child at risk.

Why do people think that if they feel they are right they can act stupid with a cop. File a complaint trying to act big and bad gets you in trouble.

I'm not saying its right or that I agree with police abusing power, but people have to account for their actions as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join