It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GIANT spider webs...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Got Arachnophobia? Here’s Your Worst Nightmare

WILLS POINT, Tex., Aug. 29 — Most spiders are solitary creatures. So the discovery of a vast web crawling with millions of spiders that is spreading across several acres of a North Texas park is causing a stir among scientists, and park visitors.

Sheets of web have encased several mature oak trees and are thick enough in places to block out the sun along a nature trail at Lake Tawakoni State Park, near this town about 50 miles east of Dallas.

The gossamer strands, slowly overtaking a lakefront peninsula, emit a fetid odor, perhaps from the dead insects entwined in the silk. The web whines with the sound of countless mosquitoes and flies trapped in its folds.

Allen Dean, a spider expert at Texas A&M University, has seen a lot of webs, but even he described this one as “rather spooky, kind of like Halloween.”

Mr. Dean and several other scientists said they had never seen a web of this size outside of the tropics, where the relatively few species of “social” spiders that build communal webs are most active.

More...

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hey, that's not 20 minutes from me! Wish I'd have seen this earlier, I would have gone to check it out this weekend. I'm curious as to what kind of spiders those are. Guess I should read the whole aritcle.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
yuck and so scary i think someone already posted that here

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This is already posted here
www.belowtopsecret.com...
and it's breaking news here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Pleae post your comments in the above threads

Closed.

new topics