It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something weird happening with UK banks this weekend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this... but I think something weird is happening with UK banks this weekend.

It's the end of the month, it's a friday, and I assume a lot of people in the UK are expecting their pay cheques from their employers - as it's payday today.

Well I eagerly checked my bank this morning, awaiting my money, but found that it was not there. So I thought that maybe there was a delay and it would be in by mid-day. After waiting for several hours, I got a phone call from my work at around 4pm GMT only to hear someone apologizing to me and explaining that there had been a "technical error" with their bank (Lloyds) and that I'd have to wait until monday to get paid.

Well I didn't think much of this aside from having to wait a little extra for my hard earned cash. But then my mum told me that some colleagues at her office had not been paid yet (by NatWest this time). She then found out that employees of her shop (a different place than the office she works in) had also not been paid (also by NatWest).

This makes me think that there is something rather odd happening with the banks in this country this weekend... as it's not often that these occurrences happen - especially with two different banks.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? Or perhaps you know someone who has been affected. Let's try and shed some light on this..

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I dont have much too add to this thead as of yet, however I would like to
say that my roommate just told me that his bank hasn't reported his check
either. If I remember correctly he banks with Bank of America. And were
in Oklahoma.

Im hoping that this is just a computer glitch and nothing sinister. But man
that would have to be a hell of a glitch if its happening across the pond too.
Lets see if anything develops out of this crazyness.

[edit on 8/31/2007 by Pjpuas]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Pjpuas

We bank with BofA and got our money right on time today (we're in Arizona btw). Hope it's just computer glitches.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Is it possible that everyone being effected by this works for companies that use the same payroll company? I live here in the States and several companies I've worked for outsource their payroll to a company called ADP. It could just be a screw up on their end and have zero to do with the bank itself.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Well about 40 mins ago at 2200hrs my Mrs on her way home called to ask would i like a chinese meal to which i obviously repled "Yes and get a few beers aswell" She called back about 15 mins ago saying she had now been to 5 different cash machines and every single one was out of order???? She tried machines at Halifax Bank, Abbey National and also a machine at the Tesco store which i think is Royal Bank of Scotland/Natwest

Luckily for me as with all women she had enough change in her bag and will now be on the way home with King Prawn Sweet and Sour Mmmm.

Shame about the beer, Looks like ill be on the Brandy and Coke instead

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
i think barclays bank also are having problems and had to borrow over 1 billion pounds from the bank of england which i think we would all agree is quite a large amount , side note i tried 3 cash points tonight and all out of order had to switch beer and chinese will wait till tomorrow night how rude!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I get social security disability and 30% VA disability... I have direct deposit and use a Bank of America debit card and I haven't had any problems today.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Well looking at some of the replies here, there seems to be a something up at least. With cashpoints not working and money not getting paid in (even across the ocean), it looks like something peculiar is amidst us..

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Any one have any speculation on what could be causing this if, it is something sinister? Hacking? Bank scheme? Or, is it just really a glitch or a mistake?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
We had a similar problem in the UK about 3 month ago where every cash machine in the country was down for about 2 hours. I tried half a dozen machines before finally going into my branch to get some money over the counter. The cashier explained that all ATMs across the network were down but would be back up and running shortly. I must have tried about 6 machines over 3 or 4 different banks that day and all had the same issue

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Wow, i thought this too.... my company hasnt paid me yet and we should of got paid yesterday, always have done for months but now it hasnt come thru yet >.> i think sumthings going on

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

I too didnt recieve my salary yesterday, although it was in my account thismorning when I checked.

I remember earlier this year there was a problem with the BACS system, which resulted in delays to salaries being paid into bank accounts.

Explanation of BACS problem earlier this year

I was affected by this, it merely meant my salary was paid into my account 3 days late, luckily I had enough in my account already to cover my mortgage lol!

Maybe something similar has happened again?

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Ill tell you, world econmy crash, elites using your cash fluidity to pay off their dirty mafia groups i bet. You know the type "hey i need this done so we can take over the world." -"ok, but it will cost you"..
"how much"?

"5 trill should cover it.."

"what, thats a rip off, but your the only one evil and devious enough"

Then the elitist gets his bank owning friends who dont have morals beyond the cameras eye. And they create a "technical error" until they can replenish the money.

So im betting that money went to some payoffs, and since our western governments are being fleeced by rediculous systems childish wealth gathering and hoarding and terror and war and laws etc.. were pretty much slaves who can be pushed around and lied to because some jerk in a suit thinks hes important, because he tells himself the same lie everyday.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Guys, this story is sounding familiar. I've heard almost the exact same thing on this side of the pond. Wells Fargo had a huge "glitch" that has been widely commented on in various web forums earlier this week. I've seen a couple of people on other forums commenting on BoA (Bank of America for you Brits) ATM's that have money in them being hard to find. You can't throw a rock in almost any major American City without hitting a BoA.If it were a single bank having "issues" I'd not take notice, but it's several and now on both sides of the Atlantic. I'm starting to lean more and more toward a systemic issue. If you havn't checked it out yet this link here is a good place to start.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 05:39 AM
link   
This has happened to me in the past too, it was also problems with the BACS system, I wouldn't get too excited, it's a computer system like any other, and has problems from time to time.

If there was a deliberate reason here, I would expect it to be to make more interest on the money they hold. A few businesses and government departments are believed to do that sometimes, but good luck finding proof on that!

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I bank with BofA no problems here with money,I can get out as much as I want in Calif by the way

top topics

join