It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is David Beckham? . . .???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   
OK, I know, I Know . . . there are more important things to talk about, but can someone explain to me why I am being David Beckham'd at by the media.

First, some backround. I am already 59 years old. I know I am "out of it." My demographic isn't worth diddly squat to anyone so they don't aim anything at me. Fine. But I'm kind of hip for my age and I still take an interest in life. I'm an artist and I'm learning to play guitar, and still think the hot chicks are hot. I like the modern pop music.

I like anything current. I'm not one of those old fogey's who thinks pop music started a nose dive at the end of the sixties. I like it all and I still get excited by the new stuff when it's good,as it often is.

What I'm trying to say is, I don't think my problem with David Beckham is me. I'm not someone who resents other people's success or can't stand the rise of a new personality. I just don't get him and Posh.

I am one of those people who doesn't really follow soccer/football except at world cup time. I think Beckham is vastly overrated as a player. He's kind of like an outstanding place kicker in the NFL, but the analogy kind of breaks down because I don't think he wins as many games for his team as a good place kicker would.

There are many outstanding players in professional soccer, but take one for example, the Brazilian Ronaldo (Ronaldo Luis Nazaria deLima). Ronaldo is the kind of athlete who would be a star in whatever game he played. You just have to look at the highlight reels. He has tremendous energy and tremendous tenacity. Add to that, oustanding ball handling skills and you've got a one man wrecking crew. Not to mention the fact that like most of the world's great athletic stars on team sports, he does his job in heavy traffic. David Beckham doesn't approach the skill level of Ronaldo, or numerous other players I could name.

Posh Spice . . . .? ? ? I'm sorry, I'm infatuated with Paris Hilton. I just can't get Posh Spice into my head. Jessica Simpson, yes. Lindsay Lohan, yes. A dozen other little hotties, yes. But Posh Spice is like a creature from Mars by comparison.

I don't give a rat's ass if either one of them make's it in LA. Do I have a point here? Why am I so irritated by these two people?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
It depends what people determine as having to have to be a great player.

Beckham has stanima, determination, creativity, fantastic passing at long/short range, the best crosses in football, excellent set pieces, Experience, Leadership and big game tempremant.

Ronaldo plays in a different position, and has different qualities because of that. There's no point comparing the two. Some people are given the physical attributes to makle an immediate impact on football, whilst others are not so blesssed and so subsequently have to work for everything they get. Beckham did that on the training pitch.

Beckham has only really lacked pace, which is vitally important for his position.

I have absolutley no defence for 'Posh' however

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Beckham IS a great player - no doubt about it.
He has all the physical attributes needed and is a player who can turn a game.

I agree Peyre, about his lack of pace, but his early crossing and ability to swerve a ball back towards his strikers from an early cross nearly make up for that.

His dead ball skills are second to none, and he's a superb long and short passer of the ball.

As a leader, he leads from the front, with passion, skill, hard work and a constant stream of encouragement for his team mates.

Let me also say, that I am a Liverpool fan - and as such, it's not easy for me to praise a player who is Man U (I know he's at galaxy, via madrid - but he's still a man u boy)

If you know anything about UK Premier football you'll know exactly what I mean.

I too have no excuse for posh spice

SR

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
He's overhyped and getting over the hill so he relies on spin and the media to tell you how great he is these days because his skills can't show you that he is anymore. No doubt about it he was an amazing player once but far from it now hence he's been embarrassed in every game he's played in for LA Galaxy and i was watching a game on television last night they were beaten three nil and now i understand why no one had heard of LA Galaxy before Beckham had joined them.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
An over the hill player playing for a less than average team...and I'm supposed to get excited? Naaah...I'll save my energy for the NCAA football season.

David Beckham was always more than a little overhyped. Played for a juggernaut Man. U. team, so his lack of speed was never really an issue. Ever since? Badly overrated.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

First, it looks like Beckham's not going to see much play for a while.

Second, ipsedixit, you're a baby boomer, the most targeted generation in the history of mankind.

As much as I enjoyed the popular music of the fifties, sixties and maybe a portion of the seventies, American popular music took a nose dive in the early to mid-fifties, when the big bands and swing were replaced by guitar bands and rock and roll. That was the beginning of the end.

[edit on 2007/9/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
grady?
you have to take a bow on this one, because you know nothing about footy.
Becks was and is a super player when fit

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Iconoclasm can be a wonderfull thing

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
He is a media draw-- people like him. I agree that it has been getting a bit ridiculous but I'm honestly just happy that more people are paying attention to soccer. It's such a huge international sport and it would be fun if US fans got as into it as international fans. I know that will take a long time, but every little bit helps, I think.

Did you see the video of Reggie Bush teaching Beck how to be a running back? Kinda funny :-)

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Reply to GradyPhilpott and others:

On the music question I'm of a generation that is not afraid to defer to it's elders, so I yield on that one. I don't know if anyone has heard the spectacular slide playing of Bob Brozman, but he is one of those people who don't believe anything good was written after about 1935.

As far as Beckham goes, at least I was half right, nobody likes Posh. I guess not following "football" regularly, I don't have the exposure necessary to pass judgement on someone like Beckham, so I'll have to take the experts word for it.

I don't know if anyone remembers it but there used to be a TV program on that was a sort of battle of the pros in several sports. They would compete over an obstacle course of some kind and a winner would be chosen for the year. There was representation from the NFL, big league baseball, basketball, hockey and the North American Soccer League.

The soccer league was represented by this guy named Brian Budd, who is a legendary guy (mostly in the boozing and chasing department) in Canada but who nobody anywhere else has ever heard of. This guy won the first contest easily and won something like the next three or four years in a row and was finally banned from the program just to get a little variety into the winner's circle. Whatever you say about soccer, you have to be in great shape to play it.

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
A midfielder like Beckham will run between 8 and 12 kilometers a game - sometimes 3 games in 7 days and that's besides the training during the season every day - even sundays.
These guys are seriously fit these days, and that's before you take into account the little knocks and niggles that every player picks up, but which don't put him on the injured list.

Beckhams never been quick, but he's always been fit and done more than his share of the running.

As for those who say he's past it, can't do this or that I say BAH come back when you know what you're talking about

Seagull?
Beckham pretty much won the league for Real Madrid last year - then they wanted to extend his contract - but they played the wrong game with the wrong bloke, and he got the amazing offer from galaxy.
He could still play for any top european team and command respect.

[edit on 14/9/2007 by budski]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
OK, I know, I Know . . .

I am one of those people who doesn't really follow soccer/football except at world cup time. I think Beckham is vastly overrated as a player. He's kind of like an outstanding place kicker in the NFL, but the analogy kind of breaks down because I don't think he wins as many games for his team as a good place kicker would.

Read the book Who Moved My Cheese

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Websurfer, I don't have the time to read Who Moved My Cheese, but I did read the Amazon.com summary of it and I think I get your point. Beckham's cheese was moved so he went to America to get it back, and got it back, big time.

I think you are right RealOrNot, Beckham is a nice guy. The video made me realize once again what a barrier the English language can be between English speaking peoples.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Yeah it's pretty funny that they have to put subtitles for him LOL. There's a series of videos with the two of them...kind of fun to watch them act like regular guys joking around. And I am a fan of anything that will help bring new fans in. I wasn't big into soccer until I say with DC United's fan club...their energy really made me want to get into the game.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Beckham is or was a good player, but he was never head and shoulders about all the other players in the world the way Michael Jordan was head and shoulders above all other basketball players in his prime. Beckham hit his prime at time when England needed a sports star. He seized the opportunity to fill the void and has enjoyed a great ride ever since.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
A little slow on the reply, but heregoes...

Living in the US, I've trouble getting ahold of anything other than English Premier football, but what little I saw of him with Real, I wasn't terribly impressed, yes he's a better player than I am, but that's not saying a whole lot
. I'll stand by my comment that I've always felt he's been highly overrated, not a bad player, a very good one infact, but overrated nevertheless.

Here in the States? Phooey, they'd be better off hyping some home grown talent. I remember back in the Seventies when the NASL brought over Pele, and Beckenbauer, and a host of others, instead of grooming their own, soccer here at least at the highest level still has a long, long ways to go.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit

Posh Spice . . . .? ? ? I'm sorry, I'm infatuated with Paris Hilton. I just can't get Posh Spice into my head. Jessica Simpson, yes. Lindsay Lohan, yes. A dozen other little hotties, yes. But Posh Spice is like a creature from Mars by comparison.

I didn't think there was anything more to add to this thread, until I saw Ali G interview Beckham and Posh Spice on YouTube.

She always seemed so overdressed and plastic when photographed, but dressed down a little and moving and talking, I gotta admit, she's very cute and appealing. So everything I said about Posh, I take back. She's a hottie!

top topics

join