It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noticed something...off...about gas prices.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I dunno if it's just the store I work at... or the state...or all over the nation...

For the past month and a half the gas has gone down from nearly 3 dollars and some odd cents to approximately $2.72 a gallon regular unleaded. It was at 2.72 I believe yesterday, and WHAM went up to 2.95 in one day...I haven't heard of any huge increase in oil costs lately, so what else would make them raise the cost approx 23 cents in one day? This confuses me more than anything. If anyone could clear this up, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks in advance.

[edit on 31-8-2007 by Chiiru]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   
This might explain it:

World oil prices surge after surprise drop in US reserves

Agence France-Presse
Last updated 05:35am (Mla time) 08/30/2007

NEW YORK -- World oil prices shot higher on Wednesday as traders weighed surprisingly steep declines in US energy stockpiles and the potential of weaker global demand amid financial turbulence.

New York's main futures contract, light sweet crude for delivery in October, soared $1.78 to close at $73.51 per barrel.

In London, the price of Brent North Sea crude for October delivery leaped $1.58 to settle at $72.13 per barrel.

The US Department of Energy (DoE) said American crude oil inventories plunged 3.5 million barrels in the week ended Aug. 24.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Another link:

Oil Prices Near $74 a Barrel

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   
While it explains the change in the price of crude oil, Beachcoma, it does not explain why the price at the pump changes as quickly in line with price changes at the wholesale end.

Any crude purchased at these new prices will not hit the pumps for months, there are futures, prices to be paid when the crude is delivered and the petrol in the pumps today was purchased at a very difference futures price.

And why does the pump at the pump go up so quickly in line with changes in the crude price but rarely down as quickly??

In my opinion, Chiiru, this is the oil companies taking advantage and not reflecting the true refining cost of the petrol/gas at the pump.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
In my opinion, Chiiru, this is the oil companies taking advantage and not reflecting the true refining cost of the petrol/gas at the pump.

Of course. That is how it works. Why lose out on potential profit$?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Well I think another factor (now that Ive actually got some rest lol) is that in my wonderful state of New Mexico, the attourney general of NM was wanting to investigate all the gas stations for having above national average gas prices. Now that apparently hes stopped investigating, they're free to jack up the prices to where they see fit?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Could it have anything to do with the upcoming holiday weekend? Lots of travelers this weekend.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Labor Day weekend, it happens every year. Price gouging.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
If you get an answer to your question maybe someone can also tell me why gas is $3.49 in my town and 10 -15 miles away it is $2.79. And there is always that much of a difference in the prices so it isn't just because of a holiday. Basically everyone around here tries to not get gas unless they have a reason to go to the next town over so you can combine getting gas with a shopping trip.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
If you get an answer please ask my Governemnet why we pay nearly $10 a gallon??
Yep thats 99P a Litre at my local garage, thats why Ive just bought an old Peugeot 106 diesel and am starting to run it on Veg oil at around 49P a Litre.
Problem is every time I stop I get hungry as it smells like a BBQ

[edit on 31/8/07 by Chorlton]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The one thing that I learned (or at least was told) while working at a gas station back in the 90's concerning gas prices was if the price of oil goes up the price of gas goes up in the next day or so and if the price of oil goes down, it takes a couple of weeks to see it at the gas pump. Now I remember seeing last Wed or Thursday that the price of oil went up to like $72 a barrel or something like that and said by Monday gas would be about $3. Sure enough it went up to $2.98. I'm not sure if this theory is right or not but it does make sense if you follow the price of oil and then watch the prices of gas.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
As I understand it, and I've had to explain it many times as the manager of a BP/Amoco north of Chicago (Highest averaged prices in America) is that gas prices are based on Futures and oil prices are based on stockpile. When the stock price of oil goes up, the futures change for gas consumptions taking into consideration the season and driving habits of certain areas. Sometimes oil prices go down and gas prices stay level. Then, when oil prices go up, the gas price will drop down. Sometimes people scream and say "Why is the price so high when I just saw that oil prices came down!!!". That's why. Because the gas price is based on the future of the gas market.
The reason it is so high right now is because Labor Day is a "Driving Holiday" with a three-day weekend. Gas demand goes up and demand is what determines the price.
It's been my observation that independant station owners are, on the majority, innocent of the price gouge. Every station I ran, the owner of the station made as MUCH as $0.04 a gallon. Yes, it adds up to an okay amount after a year or so, but, there's really no gasoline profit margin for the owner of a gas station. The owner makes a BUNDLE on all the crap he sells inside the mini mart though.

Hope I've helped.
Cuhail

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Chorlton

"thats why Ive just bought an old Peugeot 106 diesel and am starting to run it on Veg oil at around 49P a Litre"

Better be careful, someone tried that here in the US and got hit with a bunch of tax bills. Its fuel tax evasion.

[edit on 31-8-2007 by logicize]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by logicize
reply to post by Chorlton

"thats why Ive just bought an old Peugeot 106 diesel and am starting to run it on Veg oil at around 49P a Litre"

Better be careful, someone tried that here in the US and got hit with a bunch of tax bills. Its fuel tax evasion.

[edit on 31-8-2007 by logicize]

I sincerely doubt that. In my neighborhood there are two cars setup for bio fuel and one completely electric Ford Ranger pickup right next door. All self-altered by the owners. The two bio-diesel cars don't smell like BBQ...they smell like french fries and fish sticks.

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
thanks for the replies and helpful answers! I completely spaced that it is indeed labor day weekend, and considering I dont own a car, gas hasn't really been too much of a concern for me. I just noticed it and thought "whaaa?" But your replies make a lot of sense, I finally understand now
thanks again

new topics

top topics

join