It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate flooding risk 'misjudged'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Climate flooding risk 'misjudged'

Climate change may carry a higher risk of flooding than was previously thought, the journal Nature reports.

Researchers say efforts to calculate flooding risk from climate change do not take into account the effect carbon dioxide (CO2) has on vegetation.

Higher atmospheric levels of this greenhouse gas reduce the ability of plants to suck water out of the ground and "breathe" out the excess.

More...

The more we learn, the worse the situation appears...

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   
It's already making itself known here in Malaysia, a tropical rainforest country. Shah Alam, the capital of the most developed state in the nation has been hit by countless flash floods during the last monsoon. Let's not even talk about Kuala Lumpur, where they had to build an engineering marvel, the Stormwater Management and Road Tunnel a.k.a. the SMART Tunnel.

Meanwhile late last year, the southern state of Johor, north of Singapore got hit by a massive flood, with rainfalls never seen before in a hundred years.

35cm of rain in just a day

Wednesday December 20, 2006

JOHOR BARU: Continuous rain over the past 24 hours caused rivers to burst their banks, spilling water into streets and villages, and bringing the state to a virtual standstill.

An estimated 9,000 people were forced to leave their homes following what has been regarded as the state’s highest rainfall in 100 years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Monsoon season is approaching, the first heavy rainfalls will probably be in late October, after Ramadhan. I don't know why but I noticed that over here if it's Ramadhan, the temperature is always high and the clouds will be scarce. Very strange. Maybe it's just me dehydrating..

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I recently posted this thread as well:

African Flooding Affecting Millions

And I just saw this:

Ireland Getting Hotter, Wetter

Odd, when you consider the US, South America, and Australia are choking on dust.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   
It's that yin-yang thing I guess. There must be balance in the world. Anyway we still don't really know enough about how the climate works. It's not just what's in the air, it's also what's in the seas and ocean. It's the interaction between these things. It's complicated. It's confusing.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Odd, when you consider the US, South America, and Australia are choking on dust.

Although recently there's been bad flooding in parts of the US and Australia too ....

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Hi,

It has been a while since malaysia has experienced any flood ,as well, as Indonesia. BUt i am so surprised that i looked everywhere on ats and bbc and there has been no mention of singapore flood. But i found a blog explaining the singapore flood that talks about it being the work of the governmenet to create "problem" What do you all think about this?

The singapore flood 7alwayseekthetruth7.blogspot.com...

new topics

top topics

join