It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fifth article (but first with images)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
After a break of about a year since submitting four entries, I've submitted a fifth - and have a few more almost ready.

Okay, I've struggled a bit with images for this one...

I've created an entry on the Mcminnville UFO photos (1950) and thought it would be useful to include the images themselves...

Anyway, any comments (particularly on formatting etc) would be welcome - or just play with it.

I'm not sure how I should have handled things like the text spacing. I wanted to avoid text next to the photos, and in the end simply put in lots and lots of line breaks after the image tags. Surely there is a better way of doing it than this...

I've prepared a few other entries, but I'll see what you make of this one before uploading the others.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I think it is great. There are some formatting issues with the spaces, but that is really minor. An excellent job all around. As for the pictures, how would you prefer them to be aligned? To the left, center or right?

edit: spelling

[edit on 8-30-2007 by William One Sac]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
I think it is great.

Thanks. I'm glad you think so.

As for the pictures, how would you prefer them to be aligned? To the left, center or right?

I'd like them centered and (so that I can post the next few entries that I've drafted) I'd really like to know how to leave a space for the image before any more text appears. For example, I had the title for the first image, then the first image itself, then the title for the second image, then the second image itself - but the title for the second image on the side of the first image (until I manually added spaces until I'd pushed the title for second image down the correct number of lines - which took quite a bit of trial and error...).

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
This a such a good, concise summary of one of my favorite cases. I'm unfamiliar with tinwiki, and I'm curious about how consistency is handled. Specifically, I notice that you use British rules with quotation marks. Does there just have to be consistency within a document or are American rules generally followed? I've been a proofreader for 22 years and can't help noticing things like that.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo
This a such a good, concise summary of one of my favorite cases.

Thanks. This entry, and a few more I'll be uploading shortly, are leading up a submission that I'm planning to the ATS newsletter.

I'm unfamiliar with tinwiki

I'm fairly unfamiliar with it myself...

, and I'm curious about how consistency is handled. Specifically, I notice that you use British rules with quotation marks. Does there just have to be consistency within a document or are American rules generally followed? I've been a proofreader for 22 years and can't help noticing things like that.

One of the Tinwiki editors might be able to help. I just aim for consistency within my own articles, and wait for someone to shout at me if I'm doing it wrong!

Personally, I hope that members aren't put off posting to the Tinwiki because of fears that they might not know all the "house style" rules.

I think Tinwiki has a lot of potential to reduce the amount of reinvention of the wheel, but it will only fulfil that potential if more members help build up the content.

I created a few entries about a year ago, but haven't bothered much since because it seems a fairly futile exercise unless more people post to, and use, the Tinwiki. However, I've decided that I might as well do what I can to raise the profile of Tinwiki on ATS [assuming the Tinwiki editors don't think that this is treading on their toes] - and creating the current batch of entries is part of my grand scheme...

All the best,

Isaac

top topics

join