It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big IED destroys Cougar.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Look at the fifth picture down in the original post. The engine hasn't gone far.

I agree that the engine mounts look clean and tidy. Maybe they were designed so that the engine would be blown out in one piece instead of 500 tiny pieces...

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If the explosion is all-ready being directed, perhaps it's being directed -just- below the engine? Depending on the security, the force could simply be directed [almost] entirely against that region of the vehicle.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JupiterJustice
Burly system to drive, what a machine to take on a blast like that. I would feel ok riding in one of those bad muthers. I'm sure the impact was not to fun. I would think about putting the axles back on and towing it with a camel.

haha, that would be so funny to see.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
should of had some snipers if they really wanted to hurt someone

do the US forces remove their detroyed gear
or is it going to be another afganistan with litterd Russian tanks and so on?

Hell no, what do you think taxpayers are for...

Looks like they took that old buggy a speed bump too far. I bet she bucked a bit when that happened.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
If no one was hurt then why is there a huge pool of blood next to the vehicle (You can see this in picture 1). Reckon theres more to this.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Because certain fluids used in vehicles look remarkably like blood when they're pooled on the ground. Hydraulic fluid is a nice reddish color that in a giant puddle on sand like that would look a lot like blood. So are certain coolants used in the engine.

posted on Sep, 19 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Because certain fluids used in vehicles look remarkably like blood when they're pooled on the ground. Hydraulic fluid is a nice reddish color that in a giant puddle on sand like that would look a lot like blood. So are certain coolants used in the engine.

Rusty water from a radiator looks surprisingly like blood when mixed with sand. Don't think there is any question of a death - why would you want to cover it up? Plnty of deaths have hapened already, so why would you want to cover up this particular one?

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mad Larkin
If no one was hurt then why is there a huge pool of blood next to the vehicle (You can see this in picture 1). Reckon theres more to this.

It's probably diesel fuel that has been coloured red or engine oil......

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The pool on the ground is transmission fluid and no one was seriously injured...

Fortunately EFP are easier to see than regular IED once you know what to look for despite the various camoflage applied to them. We find far more of those than successfully detonate. As for being only 4%, that's misleading because they are 100% of IED's in certain areas and 0% in many others.

Cougars, Buffalo's and RG are all great, but most guys go out in M1114, M1151 and M1117 where good eyes are the best of all....

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I apologise if this is off topic. I read 4 yrs ago a genetic experiment of spider webbing and goat milk could produce a substance so strong it could stop a 747 in midflight with a single strand. I'm not making this up. It got deep sixed and never heard another word about it. I'd sure like an exostructure like that if I was riding in the badlands.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
You're thinking of 'biosteel':

www.nexiabiotech.com...

"BioSteel® is Nexia's recombinant dragline spider silk program and is based on using Nexia's transgenic goat technology. Spider silk has long been admired by material scientists for its unique combination of high-performance properties including toughness, strength, lightness and flexibility. Nexia has exclusive worldwide rights to broad patents covering spider silk genes and proteins and is in the process of developing a commercial spinning process for BioSteel"

It mgiht have some armor application, but I wouldn't bet on it. Materials in the real world don't match up to hype based on theoretical strength.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The current armor on the MRAP family and the ASV and Stryker is far better than the previous edition.

I read in Discover magazine about 2 technologies that may appear in the next generation....

Carbon nanotube fibers which arebeing developed for the "space ribbon," but not yet ready for prime time

Amorphous metal or glass-steel which is getting easier to produce

Regardless of the armor, they will build bigger IED's and we will build heavier armor.

In that case, the armor wins because the bigger IED you make the longer it takes and more people it requires to place it exposing the bad guys.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Very cool Wembley, thank you very much for the update.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
On the subject of armor retrofits... DARPA's Hardwire armor is now in field tests and soon to be certified for full deployment. It uses high tension steel wire in conjunction with polymer mesh and is substantially lighter than armor grade steel. You never know the Cougar could be even better shortly. I still think we need a purpose built basic multipurpose vehicle that can withstand more than the hummer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join