It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anything you believe in contradict itself?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
First off, I had no idea where to put it. Maybe it should even be in BTS. So Moderators, please move this thread to the appropriate forum. Thank you.

Now, Does anything you guys believe in contradict itself? The reason I'm asking this is because im kinda confusing myself. I don't believe in god, not because Im a big "Sl1pk0t" fan or anything, I just choose to not believe in him. Also, I dont believe in parallel dimensions, or string theory. But at the end of it all, I BELIEVE IN GHOSTS. Sure no big deal, right? But I don't believe in a higher power or an afterlife, I also dont ebelieve we have multiple copies of ourselves in multiverses. But how can I beleive in a ghost? I don't know. Does anyone else experience something relative to this?

What I mean is if I saw the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, I would be like, "Holy crap! Is Abe Lincoln's ghost!"

But how do you have a ghost without an afterlife? I dunno...

[edit on 8/30/2007 by Schmidt1989]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Contradictions will abound when we attempt to cling to any one belief. For instance, the UFO phenomenon is usually classified as "Paranormal"; the field involving ghosts. I would like to think that there are extraterrestrial civilizations out there, but I don't "believe in ghosts" as most people do. I have my speculations about them, but that's unimportant for now.

It isn't unnatural to base a belief on what we want to be true. For instance, some people have never seen a UFO, but they fervently believe in extraterrestrial life. Some people believe in heavenly rewards after death. They also want to believe in hell, because there has to be some sort of eternal punishment for those who have wronged them on Earth. Still others form their beliefs by merging principles from various belief systems.

Ironically, there is a group of people who disagree with merging various beliefs to form a unique one. This too, is unimportant for now.

I think beliefs are, in themselves, decisions. We decide to support concepts that appeal to us. Our decisions are based on our experiences, which are unique to us alone. It is because of this that seeking out one's own understanding of the world is important.

Some belief systems also speculate that confusion heralds some progress in analyzing the world around you
I will conclude by suggesting this; don't concern yourself too much with what you believe in. Be careful about how you believe it. For instance, you can believe in ghosts, and ghosts alone. However, don't close your mind to the possibilities you currently don't support, such as the parallel dimensions, string theory, male deity, and multiverse concept, which you mentioned. After all, there aren't a lot of 'definites' in the world we live in. Last I remember, the very nature of reality is still[i/i] being debated.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Mr. Jackdaw, excellent post! In fact, I almost coudn't have said it better myself. Making oneself comfortable in the trenches between science and belief is not something I am accustomed to, nor have a penchant to incline myself toward. I usually only base by personal opinions and beliefs on a subject when they are firmly rooted in scientific evidence and have some merit as to their conclusions. For instance although I don't hold a strong opinion on the subject of Extraterrestrial life, my background in Virology, Microbiology, and Bacteriolgy lends me a certain amount of reasoning where I can "believe" in the possibility of other lifeforms. Having said this, however, I do not "believe" in Ghosts or other paranormal activities because scientific reasoning always points to the invalid conclusions made during these occurances. In my eyes science has always been able to explain such things.

In other words, my beliefs are based on evidence that can be measured and quanified by set rules. String theory, parrallel dimensions, and other such things are in my opinion based on some semblance of evidence, whether it be empirical or mathematical in nature.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Haha.

Well I do it like this:

On Mondays and Wednesdays I don't believe in the paranormal. They are clearly the "logical" days of the week.

On Weekends and Tuesdays, I believe in Bigfoot. On Fridays, I'm just not sure, but I'm open to the possibility.

And on Fridays and Saturdays I just know there are aliens out there flying above my house.

That way, I give everyone equal time.

Those days may be subject to change if it's dark and scary outside or if we're in the deep woods.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I would have to say that i contradict my self every single day, no joke, every day i contradict my self ons oem thign and then spend a good hour working it all out, fills in some time in a long day.

Take Care, Vix

new topics

top topics

join