It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game of 'tag' banned by Several U.S. Schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Several schools in the U.S. are banning the game of 'tag'. Some articles are stating the children are complaining of being chased and it causes conflict on the playground.

I'm not sure what to think of this. The game of 'tag' is all about being chased. I would think it fosters competitiveness and is a great form of exercise. When I played 'tag' as a kid, it was a lot of fun.

If there are any kids that complain about this game, there is something wrong and I would suspect the ADHD drugs to be behind this issue. I know that being on antidepressant drugs as an adult for 6 years changed my whole outlook on life. My friends told me that I turned into a zombie and was not the exciting, bubbly person I used to be. This is why I'm feeling the drugs are behind it.

School Says Game of Tag Is Out

Colo. School Bans Tag on Its Playground

Here's a commentary by Glenn Beck on the subject:
www.glennbeck.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Unfortunatly, nothing is the same as it was when we were kids. Tag is definatly not what it used to be. Now you have someone who wants to make other kids run from them and then shove them face first into the ground. Not a fun game. Unfortunatly, we now have kids with little to no empathy for others who also dont have any consequences for their actions.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I heard about this some time ago. The radio announcer mentioned that often those tagged are often the slower runners, and they are perpetually "It" because they can't catch anyone. The school administrators were saying that it created bad self-esteem issues among those kids.

I guess it is easier to ban the game of tag rather than encourage kids to develop a mental fortitude and get in good physical shape. It makes you wonder if some of those school administrators were those kids on the playground who were always "It".

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DamnedDirtyApes
I guess it is easier to ban the game of tag rather than encourage kids to develop a mental fortitude and get in good physical shape.

Excellent point! The food industry has loaded most of the food supply with dangerous chemicals to ensure people remain unhealthy and on as many prescription drugs as possible. People are not aware that what they're feeding their kids is damaging them for life.

The only way to be truly healthy is to consume only organic foods and stay away from all processed foods. Even the water supply is tainted with these chemicals making it harder to get away from them.

Lots of information on this subject at these websites:

www.hundredyearlie.com...

www.newstarget.com...

www.cosmeticsdatabase.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
This is the dumbest friggin thing ever...

Soon, all athletic based programs in education systems will be banned due to either violence or lawsuits.

Are our future military and police forces going to be like that depicted in the movie Demolition man? Helpless and incapable of dealing with any level of physicality, as they were taught back in school?

I was one of the tormented ones back through my school experience and I still managed to survive and thrive.

Where have all the cowboys gone......

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
North America's fitness is spiraling out of control. Our political leaders should
stand up and at least bring in more physical activities the kids can do.
If we continue on our same tracks we will be much more then the worlds fattest
continent. Especially since Mcdonalds and other fast food industries are taking
over. 20 minutes fitness daily should be more then enough for our younger
generations. If we continue in these tracks in the next 10-15 years then
you will see %75 of this continents people being over weight.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

The first 2 site you listed were interesting, the 3rd wanted you to sign up in order to get onto the site.

I'm glad that you brought up the water issue. People have no idea what is in the public water supply.

www.waterwarning.com

Check out this site. There is a section that covers the research done by Ralph Nader and how they found over 2100 chemicals in the water supply. Municipalities are only required to test for 86 out of 74,000+ chemicals in the environment. So, it's just not the chlorine and fluoride, both carcinogens and one having the distinguished honor of being a pesticide, that you have to worry about. There are traces of birth control, anti-psychotics, and other prescription medicines in your water. The bottled water industry isn't much better. The good ol' FDA monitors them, the same people who approved aspartame.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
^Thats disturbing. I'm glad I have well water, though anymore who can say that's good for you either?

Anyway, taking tag out of schools is just ridiculous. If anything they should at least try allowing the kids the choice to either play tag or do something else like run around the track or whatever. Though banning tag just b/c a few people complained about it is just stupid. If they keep up w/ crap like that there won't be any sports left to ban!

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
These measures are done incrementally, but they are part of an overall agenda when people analyze the general pattern of abolishing folkways and traditional games.

It is within the realm of sumptuary laws regarding the control of different kinds of behavior. For example one can probably remember pictures of the collars of gentlemen being cut in Elizabethan England and other realms of status.

It has to do with control for its own sake, and taxation to support a vicious circle of controls. Such societies take the take of observation upon trivialities as problems rather than the general core issues. Sumptuary societies and kakistocracies generally are incompetent to care for real issues such as wages and actual occupations within functionalist modeling. The pretext of Burgas is an example that creates useless theology police. Homeland Security and its millions of futile and time consuming and tax coffer draining searches is another.

These kinds of laws are to violate basic common law rights and to substitute more rigid and convoluted statutory laws.

Personally I find such bans on traditional games to be a sign of a failed social structure, and also including political correctness as an example of unnecessary things being demanded people for the sake of narrow agenda specific itemizing and micro-management of long time cultural norms.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
When I read yesterday that tag was being banned I just had to roll my eyes and shake my head. The amount of things that are being banned combined with the removal of some playground equipment because someone may get hurt, is sad. IMHO it is coddling our children rather than allowing our children to learn how to handle situations. It's sad when adults feel that it is better to eliminate something than to give the children the opportunity to learn common sense or talk with children and teach them valuable, life long coping skills.

I disagree 100% with the OP who mentioned ADHD drugs as a partial cause for this type of ban. A child with severe ADHD who is NOT medicated would likely be the aggressive chaser that may be too rough with the chased child due to the lack of impulse control that is part of ADHD. A child with severe ADHD who is on the right medication would be able to participate in such games like any other 'normal' child.

While I strongly believe that ADHD is diagnosed far too often and even when correctly diagnosed, medication is not always the best solution, when severe ADHD is treated with the right medication it makes all the difference in the world and can literally be a life saver. I have ADHD that was diagnosed but not treated by medication until I was an adult. Had I been medicated at a much younger age I would not have had many of the struggles and frustrations that cost me valuable time and my parents hundreds of thousands of dollars. It wouldn't have taken me 7 years and 12 schools to complete my BS and then another 4 years to get my Masters in Psych, that's for sure!!!

I have 4 daughters, 9, 7, 6, and 6. The older two both have been diagnosed with ADHD. While my 7 year olds ADHD responds well to simple behavior modification plans, my 9 year old has a clear need for medication. Though everyone in her life can see how well she responds to medication, it was not until a few weeks ago that she was tested to see exactly HOW well the medication benefited her. She was given a very boring computer game/project without medication, took her medication and returned 2 hours later to do the same thing. The results were stunning with my daughter performing 90% better WITH medication. 90%!!!!

A child with severe ADHD who NEEDS medication but is not on it is far more likely to be problematic in class, the playground and any other situation they are in. Their self esteem is low and they have problems interacting with others. While I agree that many children are unneccesarily medicated for ADHD, the children that are correctly diagnosed and medicated are not the ones that should be blamed for idiotic decisions like tag being banned.

Jemison

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I made a post about this back in October: www.abovepolitics.com...

Yeah it's pretty stupid. Kids can't even be kids anymore. Oh well, at least they all get cellphones now so they can talk to their girl/boyfriends and learn how to use condoms in elementary...

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Hide n' Seek will probably be next, to help the 'Unconcealalbly Challenged'.

Bring back the strap. Whether they ever used it or not would be irrelevant, just the fear of it when I was a child did it for me.

Seems more kids would stay in line and not cause as much trouble as they do now.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Dodgeball will probably be next, some little girl will start crying because one hit her in the butt and poof, no more dodgeball.

Nah really though, if you think about it, tag is kind of silly anyway. You chase someone around just to try and smack whatever part of their anatamy you can land a thwack on. Their shoulder, head, back, whatever... thwack! Pretty stupid.

Probably a lot of kids are just hanging out and suddenly someone runs up and smacks the crap out of them for no reason. Hollering "you're it!" probably doesn't help them feel any better about their half dislocated shoulder.

Physical contact games and sports should be voluntary and overseen by adults, that's what school sports are for. Leave the aggression off the playgrounds.

[edit on 2-9-2007 by fweshcawfee]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
this is a bunch of crap. first tag, whats next? theyve gone to the extreme by banning dodgeball at my former middle school. i hate talking about this stuff cuz it makes e mad.

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

Jemison, you really should investigate the ADHD fraud claims. There is a lot of evidence that shows that most children with ADHD can be cured simply by getting them off of chemicals and onto a healthy diet and supplements. Most all processed foods contain chemicals such as MSG that cause violent reactions in children. And the MSG is now being hidden in other ingredients so you cannot find it on the label and do not even realize you're ingesting it.

I was on antidepressants for 6 years and suffered from major depression for at least 10-15 years prior to getting on medication. In my research, I found out that depression is caused by chemicals in the food. I was able to get completely off of the meds simply by changing my diet to consume organic foods instead of chemical-laced processed foods.

The food industry has been slowly increasing the amount of chemicals in the food and water supply over the last hundred years. The result is an increase in illnesses such as heart disease, depression, anxiety, autism, alzheimers, cancer, and more. The government doesn't want you to know this because they make money off of people being sick, not well.

Here are some articles for you:

Neurologist Dr. Fred Baughman talks about the fraud of ADHD and the poisoning of U.S. children

Omega-3 supplements rapidly eliminate ADD, ADHD and bipolar disorder in children

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, ADHD, has a simple cause: poor nutrition and food additives

I don't have kids but if I did, I would certainly prefer for them to be on a healthy diet instead of prescription medications.

mod edit to add "reply to" code

[edit on 2-9-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Jemison, you really should investigate the ADHD fraud claims. There is a lot of evidence that shows that most children with ADHD can be cured simply by getting them off of chemicals and onto a healthy diet and supplements. Most all processed foods contain chemicals such as MSG that cause violent reactions in children. And the MSG is now being hidden in other ingredients so you cannot find it on the label and do not even realize you're ingesting it.

I am very familiar with the studies involving diet and ADHD. While working on my Masters in Psychology I did extensive research on that very subject. While there is no denying that a healthy diet is beneficial to ALL children (and adults) and may be helpful in reducing some of the behaviors associated with ADHD, it is not a 'cure' and is not an effective treatment for many true sufferers of ADHD.

It is unfortunate that there isn't a seperate classification for children who exhibit symptoms of ADHD because of what they eat/drink. I believe that unhealthy diets are one of the biggest reasons why ADHD is overly diagnosed.

Jemison

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I caught this on the news the other day and I still think the same thing now that I thought when I saw it. What a waste of time to discuss such a thing. The whole idea is stupid.

I understand the idea that kids get pushed, and maybe the game has gotten rougher than when I played, yet I doubt it. Besides, maybe it will teach these kids to toughen up a bit and stand up for themselves.

I understand that maybe the same kids are always "it" cause they are too slow, but guess what? There have always been slower kids on the playground. The same kids were always "it" when I played tag too. The same kids were always "out" first in dodgeball and the same kids always got found fast when we played hide and go seek. Maybe if you took away the kids twinkies, pizza rolls and McDonald's happy meals and pulled them away from their X-Box long enough to go outside and play and get some exercise he would be just a bit faster! Maybe he is not slow, just a tad bit fat cause Mom and Dad were idiots themselves who never learned how to cook and the kid lives on flippin McDonald's!

Either way......IT IS A GAME! Maybe instead of worrying about the kids self esteem, you can teach him to win AND LOSE with grace! I watch him best friend's kid and I sit in shock. He plays video games and when he does not win he gets absolutely insane. He will throw the controller, he will cry, he will scream, and eventually if he can not beat it he will quit. In all honesty, he is like that in everything he does and if things do not go his way, he will throw his temper tantrum and eventually he will quit. Sadly, we have a whole country full of these kids.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
in order to create an army of gibbering idiots you have to ban the following concepts form schooling: joy, fun, laughter, beauty, physical strength, imagination, ability to question things, independent thinking.

most of these things have already been driven away from schools. this is just the next thing to help keep the populace docile, unmoving, weak, dumb.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
this stuff really bothers me....i am NOT promoting being a bully and i would not stand for my son being a bully and picking on people, but if he is playing tag and instead of just being tagged he is jumped on and his face smashed into the ground, i expect full well my son get up and unload on the kid.

what we need to do is teach our kids how to stick up for themselves...

instead of banning these games, i say the adults in charge of keeping an eye on them should well, keep an eye on them for one and when timmy gets picked on every day and tells mommy and/or daddy, they need to take measures that it don't happen again.

sticking up for yourself is a must and is a far cry from starting trouble...

i am 29 and i still remember the exact day my days of getting bullied were over. i was in 3rd grade and there was a kid named antonio that was in 4th. he was bigger than me and a grade above so i was scared. i was taking tae kwon do at the time but was still scared.
i would come home and tell my dad and i remember him just telling me to handle it.
next day antonio messed with me, and i kicked him in the head....1 kick was all it took for my bullying days to be over.
i went to the principals office(mr fernandez...never forget that either)...he called my dad all ready to have me in trouble but my dad wasn't haivng that. i remember dad taking me home for the day but i was at school the very next day and no more being bullied by antonio.

thats how you handle it....

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
what we need to do is teach our kids how to stick up for themselves...

Damn straight... I used to get bullied in 1st grade by 2 kids, both bigger than me. My mom told me to tell the teacher and if she didn't do anything, handle it myself.

One day I told the teacher but she was busy talking to someone and she ignored me. So I kicked their asses simultaneously and never got bullied again.

Sometimes a bad thing turns out to be a good thing.

<<   2 >>

join